Is this a sign of things to come ...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am the first to admit that I am not the most knowledgeable but the lack of knowledge in some other Beeks astounds me.

I am on several beekeeping facebook groups and regularly you get the most basic questions from those who already have bees such as "Is this my queen" followed by a picture of a drone etc.

I really think that beekeeping should be licensed (in the UK anyway). To gain a licence you should have to prove you have attended a BBKA approved course.

I really think that beekeeping should be licensed (in the UK anyway). To gain a licence you should have to prove you have attended a BBKA approved course.

Dear god no.

Dear god no.

:iagree::iagree:

to both the idea of being licensed and the qualifying authority. It should be compulsory to be registered though

:iagree::iagree:

to both the idea of being licensed and the qualifying authority. It should be compulsory to be registered though

:iagree:

Licensing would only work if the mechanisms are in place to enforce it.These cost money. A levy of £100 per registered beekeeper would raise roughly £3-£5 million which ought to be enough..(based on 30-50,000 beekeepers in the UK).

Hands up all supporters of a £100 levy?:hairpull:

Or is anyone suggesting the taxpayers will fund it?:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

My worry is also the hives that look to the average punter like they require no effort e.g. the flow hive.

If people start keeping bees not realizing they need regular tending and knowledge these colonies could start acting as typhoid Marys and taint us all.

BTW, I wouldn't mind a small licencing fee.

I've never heard differing opinions from beekeepers I've met in person about what clipping does other than giving to the chance to retain the bees if they swarm by essentially sacrificing the queen.

I started by attending a association course, it taught me how to do the basics. That said there are things that I've learned which sound basic but needed me to fail to really drill home. Such as:

• shaking the bees off the frame
    going back after I do an artificial swarm and knocking down emergency queen cells
    clipping queens
    keeping records
    etc

Most of these learnings have come from me either trying to work out what went wrong, asking on forums or beekeeping friends of mine giving me tips.

Most of the people I've spoken to how have horror stories with bees tend to not look for that post course support until they up to their necks it in it. They also aren't helped by some of the nonsense that 'experienced' bee-keepers tell them.

Yes I agree with all of that and I too have done two courses, one traditional and one not so traditional, but how does the inexperienced beekeeper know the 'expert' he is asking for advice has some expertise?

As we all know, bees do nothing invariably, so he follows all the advice and still his ladies do something different.

IMHO we need to dispense with the absolutes, that is so apparently and often the thrust of most advice.

No it doesn't - she leaves, doesn't get very far and the 'swarm' returns to the hive minus the queen.

You haven't defined 'leave' and I used the word 'tends' and sometimes she hides under the hive and goes back in herself, I understand.

But have it your way, you won't stop until you do.

Last edited:
I am the first to admit that I am not the most knowledgeable but the lack of knowledge in some other Beeks astounds me.

I am on several beekeeping facebook groups and regularly you get the most basic questions from those who already have bees such as "Is this my queen" followed by a picture of a drone etc.

Oh please and put beekeeping in the hands of the likes of the ministry of fisheries people?

No thanks.

Oh dear oh dear - and this is the kind of stupidity we are talking about

Look buddy, we just don't see eye to eye.

Let's leave it at that and avoid the personal attacks, shall we?

And do I get the last word . . . . . .

Yes I agree with all of that and I too have done two courses, one traditional and one not so traditional, but how does the inexperienced beekeeper know the 'expert' he is asking for advice has some expertise?

I judge them by how good their bees are. I was shocked when I saw the bees of one 'expert' I know when I saw their bees how poorly kept and weak they where.

The person I probably ask advice from the most has over a dozen strong hives, raises their own queens and harvests lots of honey. If you go to their apiary they know what's happening in each hive.

Seeing is believing with me.

+1 Just 24 hours yesterday over newspaper uniting was hearbreaking as I looked through the glass quilt. Heart broke actually, and I gave a good 18-hour rip. all seemed fine.

I'm cell raising on double board at the moment and this week I'll be very happy to let the drones who are caught in the top box out. Poor fellas.

I'm cell raising on double board at the moment and this week I'll be very happy to let the drones who are caught in the top box out. Poor fellas.

Most will be dead in the QE if I understand you. An escape? Can be a hole in an old box, plugged every August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most will be dead in the QE if I understand you. An escape? Can be a hole in an old box, plugged every August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shake them off the QE every time I open it, I've not got lots of dead ones. I moved most of the drone frames below.

Sort of back to the original topic ..
Apart from recommending Hooper and/or the Haynes manual to newbies (Hooper can be a bit heavy going and takes 2-3 readings over several months with some hands on in-between)
I make them learn 2 rules
1) Bees don't read books
2) Put 3 beekeepers in a room, ask them a question, and get six opinions.

I thankfully had a couple of good teachers, one who'd been keeping bees for 40 years and the other an SBI. I also bother to listen and read this forum on a regular basis (it's much better and more active than the BBKA one).

As to clipping queens, I choose not to.. if I lose a swarm so be it. And yes I am a swarm collector...

Back