Aggressive bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merylvingien

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I am after some different opinions from more experienced people on a highly aggressive colony that i have the pleasure of keeping.

It was a swarm that i exctracted from a loft last year around this time. They built up slowly and never produced anything last year, and this year is not much better.
Last seasons temperment was "ok" but a little frisky. However this year is totally different, lots of pinging, and they only tolerate 5 mins MAX of inspection before the whole lot rev up and basicly go ballistic.

The strange thing about this colony is, the queen is laying well, but for some reason they do not appear to building up in numbers much, just stay the same and also do not do much. 11.00 am when everyone else is hard at it, they just seem to waking up and having a coffee before deciding whether to venture out or not. Not much honey in the supers either.

I am going to requeen in the next couple of weeks and i hope this will sort the problem out (maybe she is just old?) but i am suprised that they havent superceeded already and get thier arses in gear.
Just curious as to others thoughts on the matter?

Oh I'd say persevere with them...get close to them...make friends...perhaps appear less intimidating by approaching without your veil...

That ought to sort things out...;)

I think that you should requeen and move on. Let the first queen build a population and your new queen really organise them.

All the best,
Sam

i would requeen them asap as ive had bees like this and it takes the enjoyment out of beekeeping.

When you inspect them, place a empty Broob box on their site and move the hive ( with the bees in) away about 4-5 feet min, that way as you inspect them the flying bees will return to their site and make your job easier and more enjoyable.

work with them not against them. They will be more angry when Q- though

I say enjoy life, enjoy beekeeping. Inspecting bees should be interesting and fun if it is a hobby.

Requeen.

No fun and no honey is the worst combination. Consider why you have slow build up. Did you treat for varroa in Autumn and Winter? Have you tested for Nosema? (Forum microscopist will do for a very small fee to cover your costs).

The third advice is more uncomfortable for me to offer... are you confident that you are handling them gently? Are you sure you are using the smoker properly? Not trying to have a go.

When you inspect them, place a empty Broob box on their site and move the hive ( with the bees in) away about 4-5 feet min, that way as you inspect them the flying bees will return to their site and make your job easier and more enjoyable.

I must remember that one! :) (not that i need to with my present bee's though)

Whatever you do, try not to do what I did yesterday. Placed super full of asbo bees onto sloping surface. Knocked it and watch helpless as the super fell off and landed with a bump. Asbo bees justified in their response.
Thank heavens for good PPE.
Cazza

If you have to move the brood box to work the bees they are badly needing re-queening.

It's no fun to get hammered.

PH

Thanks for the replies!

I am handling them more confidently and more gently than ever before, try to not use smoke unless really needed.
Had the same thing with a swarm i collected last year that were over the top in their aggressiveness and had to destroy them.

I wonder if the swarms in this area are inherently aggressive as the local beekeepers are reluctant to inspect because of this behaviour, nice bees are being monitored properly and artificially swarmed?
Certainly makes me think that could be a possibility.

The colony i rescued a couple of weeks ago are nice as pie, a real pleasure to inspect.

IMG_4622re.jpg

IMG_4617re.jpg

IMG_4615re.jpg

Nice pictures!

As to the stroppy bees: if it's a permanent problem, which it certainly sounds like, then HM needs to go. If they're too ornery to find the queen easily, split up the boxes, wrap 'em up in jute sacking or teatowels as you go through them, be prepared to retreat occasionally if they get really homicidal, and persist until madam is found... if she's neither polite nor productive then why give house-room?!

Sometimes a first-generation cross with e.g. a "pedigree" black or Buckfast queen :)D i.e. the sort you pay for) is nastier than a second-or third-generation mutt. I removed just such a queen and let her daughter take over, and they've never looked back - very calm and manageable ever since, and a bit healthier too. So if you didn't want to splash out on buying a queen I guess it might be worth keeping any queen cells they produce and ousting the parent...

I have 3 new queens due in a couple of weeks, they were supposed to have been here already but circumstances due to supply have held things up a bit, i cant wait to set too and get my nasties nice!

Sounds like you have some local beeks with some right terrors that are allowing swarms all over the place. Not friendly beekeeping in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back