What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep a diary which I only record bee things in and weather/forage etc. This is only the third year but interestingly the last two years the Gorse started flowering a week ago here and my Hazel tree was in full bloom by now, this year no sign of either yet and the weather has been fairly similar.

Gorse flowering. One crocus in garden (daffs poking up at home but not flowering) ready to be annihilated by -7°C tonight.

Daffs flowering where my hens are. A week or two behind a year ago when they flowered at Christmas/New Year.

Despite the cold this is the first day I've notuced the Mahonia in flower.

Attachments

• 20230117_094609.jpg
    20230117_094609.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Crocus in flower in my lawn, hellebores in bloom

Gorse flowering. One crocus in garden (daffs poking up at home but not flowering) ready to be annihilated by -7°C tonight.

Daffs flowering where my hens are. A week or two behind a year ago when they flowered at Christmas/New Year.
My Christmas daffs opened last week. A few yellow crocus open. Mahonia still tight. Winter honeysuckle and sarcococca (Christmas box) have plenty of flowers and a few bees and the winter flowering cherry.
Snowdrops peeping out at last!

Noticed Lesser Celandine leaves peeping through this morning while walking the dogs. Gorse is looking nice and a cacophony of bird song filling the air.
Brrrrrroing ...... Percy the greater spotted pylon pecker was knocking out a tune, he had company today, looks like we now have Percy and Pauline :)
Also noticed a pair of Magpies taking twigs to one of the Lime trees near me.
Only Crocus beginning to flower, Hyacinth, Daffs and Snowdrops are still just poking through

My Christmas daffs opened last week. A few yellow crocus open. Mahonia still tight. Winter honeysuckle and sarcococca (Christmas box) have plenty of flowers and a few bees and the winter flowering cherry.
Snowdrops peeping out at last!
20230120_103854.jpg

Bluebells sprouting under a hive stand.

My home apiary is on an abandoned plant nursery where there are still a few remnant cultivated plants, otherwise it's rewilding. Today (T 9C, fresh NW wind) there were a few bees on the Viburnum ?tinus ?bodnantense. Lovely scent so I pick a bunch for the house whenever I visit.

Attachments

• 9B37E869-EC39-41A2-A4A8-921CE5D43859.jpeg
    9B37E869-EC39-41A2-A4A8-921CE5D43859.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 37F3E886-E57C-460F-BB12-531C9BF39855.jpeg
    37F3E886-E57C-460F-BB12-531C9BF39855.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • D5871BFE-B180-4D7A-8BCA-D5406E8BC6FC.jpeg
    D5871BFE-B180-4D7A-8BCA-D5406E8BC6FC.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 2
Saw a queen bumble collecting pollen from hellebore flower today. Seems a bit early for them to be on the wing

Viburnum, snowdrops and a few crocus poking up. On the railway embankment hazel in full flow, some white buds on my ornamental salix.
Ivy being uncapped in the hive from the aroma coming out.
My stinky Sarcococa hedge is flowering.

Yes, same here. Hazel catkins are in full force, gorse, snowdrops, daffs, and crocuses.
We've had several warm sunny days here with the bees flying well - but no pollen coming in despite nearby ripe hazel catkins++. Have you seen bees on the catkins? I'm waiting for the goat (pussy) willow to break bud.

We've had several warm sunny days here with the bees flying well - but no pollen coming in despite nearby ripe hazel catkins++. Have you seen bees on the catkins? I'm waiting for the goat (pussy) willow to break bud.
Yes a couple but not fully ripe yet. Mine have been piling in mass with a darker orange pollen.

Back