vsh - form your own opinion

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Avignon, France.....isn't really very local to me

No but its probably where Hoppy thinks his abeilles de Cornouailles originate. Hence his excitment and repeated words.
Apparently they have a lot of similar DNA to French Amm's.

:iagree:
That is the point!!:hairpull:

Yeghes da

I have buckfast hives. They are very good.
What they have to do local.

I bought mated queens, that I do not have local drone genes next year. That means that first of all my old rubbish bee genes inherited to my new bees.

I have buckfast hives. They are very good.

I have a couple too... Old Dadants, rescued from a bonfire at Dean Forge... just a mile down the A38 from the Abbey..... paint is peeling a bit... must be worth a few quid to someone?

Can not vouch for their provinence... but

Patina Patina Patina as Drew Pritcthard would say!!:icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

But are they gentle bees and honey monsters to boot?
Or evil and no honey this year survivalists?
Interesting finding though, thanks for pointing it out.

And what evidence is there that they evolved locally as opposed to being the result of local beekeepers using bees selectively bred for VSH .

I think the clue is in naturally surviving populations. The Gotland bees in particular where an experiment into leaving evolution to get on and work. But their explanation of choice is very poorly worded.

Last edited:
And what evidence is there that they evolved locally as opposed to being the result of local beekeepers using bees selectively bred for VSH .

When I started this thread, I suggested that people make up their own mind. I just posted the papers and left people to think about them, so....no comment

When I started this thread, I suggested that people make up their own mind. I just posted the papers and left people to think about them, so....no comment

I do not need to make my mind about VHS. I can follow, what is happening in practical beekeeping on small scale.

There are lots of over advertising on these things.

I think the clue is in naturally surviving populations. The Gotland bees in particular where an experiment into leaving evolution to get on and work. But their explanation of choice is very poorly worded.

So far naturally surviving populations are just and just alive. Gotland's number of colonies have dropped to 30 colonies and winter clusters are 3 frames.

Colonies in Gotland are very small in winter, that they cannot get over winter. 3 frame cluster is impossible to keep in honey production. It is same in Russian bee of USA. Second thing is, that such cluster will not build up to productive hives in our summer.

Nothing is rapid in these things, except remongrelization.

I bought a new genepool into my yard in 2-3 years ago. What I can say is, that in open mating the new genepool is returning hybrids and mongrels very fast.

I keep the issue open. I do not need to make up my mind. I know that solution will not come during my life time. That is why I do not need to decide anything.

I keep the issue open. I do not need to make up my mind. I know that solution will not come during my life time. That is why I do not need to decide anything.

"you left us to think".... Well. The hive stands seems to be too difficult to decide.

Last edited:

"you left us to think".... Well. The hive stands seems to be too difficult to decide.

Others might say if you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem

Back