New Colony Selection Method for VSH/Grooming Behaviour

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Beefriendly

Peptide biomarkers used for the selective breeding of a complex polygenic trait in honey bees. Guarna et al 2017.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5566959/
Just came across this recent paper by a Canadian group, looks to have very interesting potential and implication for those breeding for Varroa resistant bees as it essentially cuts out a lot of colony testing. You cut right to the chase and identify your most hygienic colonies without doing liquid nitrogen killing/ pin prick/assaying degree of chewed mites etc etc.
I’ll summarize it briefly (for a pleasant change the full text is fully available). DNA markers associated with specific hygienic traits in honey bees are not good to use because of the huge amount of cross over, which means they are rapidly lost….the proteins, thought, have to be retained as they are part of the functionality of the hygienic traits.
These Canadians identified a total of 13 specific antennae proteins associated with VSH or Grooming or Hygienic behavior.
By testing bees for expression of these proteins they were able to determine which colonies had all three polygenetic traits, used these as breeding stock to produce further colonies which retained these traits (as assayed the old way!)..
Tested the damn things to destruction in some nice experiments….. They highly over infected with varroa to their protein identified colonies Vs controls of unselected stock and imported bees from New Zealand. 75% of the latter two died out, whereas only 25% of their selected stock did (it was over infection remember).
This was the clincher for me they then infected them and the same controls with AFB spores. This killed between 70-87% of the unselected controls but only 40% of the colonies that had been selected for proteins indicating hygienic traits….before anyone says “ But 40% died”…. just remember A.FB resistance was not something selected for in the protein identification assays but might be predicted to be improved because of hygienic behavior.
B+ you need to send them some bee antennae’s for analysis….save you messing around with all these pin assays’. Just breed straight from the best…..
If it does pan out then you will be able to send in bee antennae from your different colonies and get a very good idea of which ones to breed from. This approach could probably be used for other traits as well.

B+ you need to send them some bee antennae’s for analysis….save you messing around with all these pin assays’. Just breed straight from the best…..

Actually, I was asked to send 10*10cm samples of drone eggs to LLH Hohen Neundorf last summer for testing. They offered to do it for free first time round but I'm not sure if they'll charge for it this year (I heard a whisper that it might be free again but will have to wait and see).
The pin/LN2 assays are for hygienic behaviour. To test for VSH, you have to manually uncap purple-eyed brood (https://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=751&pictureid=3853) and count the number, age and gender of any mites in the cells. It is quite time consuming so a DNA test would save a lot of work.

Its a protein test....DNA markers are relatively unstable in bees.

And in most species due to SNPs getting regenerated in older types of PCR erplication errors???
Real time DNA syntheses should solve the problem.

Remember the Guthrie test for PKU... protein based and it works.
PRION research seems to have fallen out of favour?

Any research into bees is something that we must invest in!

Yeghes da

Surely this test only checks for one type of VSH, probably the flavour selected for in the Baton Rouge strain.

As I understand it, different populations of bees have evolved different varroa coping strategies.

As so often, this solution is being oversold as "all you'll ever need".

Surely this test only checks for one type of VSH, probably the flavour selected for in the Baton Rouge strain..

They have found protein markers that are specific for all three types, HB, VSH and Grooming, which is the hardest to assay.
Obviously this needs testing with other VSH strains to see if the same or different, proteins are involved there. As you say there are several different mechanisms involved for bees living with varroa.

They have found protein markers that are specific for all three types, HB, VSH and Grooming, which is the hardest to assay.
Obviously this needs testing with other VSH strains to see if the same or different, proteins are involved there. As you say there are several different mechanisms involved for bees living with varroa.

To breed those bee strains is nothing hobby.

I read about varroa grooming, that it has been seen in Asian bee, but not in mellifera.

Back