What Inspires Me

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Lots of things inspire me. Today does. The light begins to return. Time for reflection and taking stock of the coming year.

Over the last number of years, I've attended many beekeeper's meetings, and listened to many presentations. Three have inspired me greatly.
1. The 2013 National Honey show presentation by Ricarda Kather, "Ghosts in the Hive". She showed that the bees take on the odor of the colony, thereby hiding from the bees.
2. Dr. Sammy Ramsey's discovery that the mites feed on the bees' fat bodies and not their hemolymph.
3. And now there's this...Sorry for the ads in the first

What she has discovered is so amazing. One thing...I never understood, why people think the frozen brood or pin prick assay would identify VSH colonies. Originally, the frozen brood assay was used to identify colonies that were hygienic as far as brood disease goes. They identify dead brood. Somehow this has been used to identify VSH colonies. The two are not the same. Now we have Kaira Wagner.
After battling varroa for more than 30 years, these are the things that inspire me.

Well, not totally. At this moment my youngest, Gaelen, is giving birth to a son. Waiting by then phone for news.

Congratulations lovely to have a new baby in the family, we have a five month old:love:

Thanks for posting those Youtube links Mike. Most interesting viewing & fascinating research being progressed by Kaira.

Latest posts

Back