Vevor extractors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah. Thanks Poot. I do have a large SS extractor but I’ve never taken it to bits.
I presume my plastic one won’t have one. At least I hope not!
The spindle has to rest on something, there was a bearing in the plastic Thorne six frame spinner I've used in the past. IIRC, I think there was a washer involved as well.

same issue as other with this - cant easily secure Supers in it as its designed for larger (brood size?)
frames . had to manually hold each frame with wire whilst spinning.
Probably Langstroth, the most used hive in the world ... except in the UK!

The spindle has to rest on something, there was a bearing in the plastic Thorne six frame spinner I've used in the past. IIRC, I think there was a washer involved as well.
Hmmm I shall have to research this
The spindle simply sits in a plastic tube.

Hmmm I shall have to research this
The spindle simply sits in a plastic tube.
The 9 frame poly drum extractor (Thornes early model) I used until recently had the rotor suspended from above and simply used a guide sleeve at the bottom of the shaft to stop it wobbling.
I seem to recall the bottom supporting ball bearing of my previous metal extractor had a 4mm ball in the bottom of the cup in the base. I used to apply a thin smear of food grade grease to it before use.

The 9 frame poly drum extractor (Thornes early model) I used until recently had the rotor suspended from above and simply used a guide sleeve at the bottom of the shaft to stop it wobbling.
I seem to recall the bottom supporting ball bearing of my previous metal extractor had a 4mm ball in the bottom of the cup in the base. I used to apply a thin smear of food grade grease to it before use.
I had a 1980 three frame hand crank, 1990 nine frame electric, and another nine frame electric this year. All poly thornes. all had ball bearings although the last one came without onebut it should have had one so I had to get them to send me one!

Ah. Thanks Poot. I do have a large SS extractor but I’ve never taken it to bits.
I presume my plastic one won’t have one. At least I hope not!
my plastic one has!. If it sits in a long tube that tube can usually be pulled off for cleaning and the ball bearing is in the bottom. Be careful because if you remove the centre spindle that holds the cages it can stick to the bottom and then fall off!

Doh! I wondered why the spindle didn't sit right in the recess after I reassembled my unimel.... I've lost the ball bearing. TBH I've not been that happy with my 3 frame - some of the spokes on the cages have fallen off and quite a few bits are rusty.... So not all stainless. I've only used it about 5 times... And a pin in the gearing mechanism sheared off.

If anyone knows what size bearing.. Please share... Thanks.

Doh! I wondered why the spindle didn't sit right in the recess after I reassembled my unimel.... I've lost the ball bearing. TBH I've not been that happy with my 3 frame - some of the spokes on the cages have fallen off and quite a few bits are rusty.... So not all stainless. I've only used it about 5 times... And a pin in the gearing mechanism sheared off.

To be honest any will do as long as it sits proud of the bottom cup it sits in but try a 4mm to start with!

Some of the far eastern interpretations of stainless steel are dubious to say the least. 😨 Mind you it's not unknown for UK stainless steel sink tops to go rusty. I usually work on the basis that if a magnet won't stick to the metal rust shouldn't be a problem.

I've got about 48 stainless 4mm bearings somewhere that I had to buy when I lost my bearing ..... I'll have a look and see if I can find them and let you all know .. if I can find them I'm happy to send them out for the cost of postage and few pence to cover my costs .... If they are anywhere they will be in a box at the back of my storage shed so it might be the weekend before I get round to digging them out.

They do wear in use and go a bit oval so replacing them once in a while is no bad thing.

I’ve now assembled my three frame Vevor electric extractor (cost £180 free shipping), but not yet used it. The finish is poor, as I expected, with very sharp edges on the metal cross strut holding the motor. National frames fit ok, with a loop of cable tie to support each. Had a practice go with empty frames and was surprised how slow the maximum speed was. The motor is only 140W (you get what you pay for) so I guess I’ll have to spin longer.
How long should you spin for generally with an electric extractor?

Can't really answer what the rpm should be, but there is some information on an old BBKA thread,suggest 100rpm is okay with most electric extractros running at around 2800, no idea if it's accurate.
But it's worth remembering the force exerted on a frame in a centrifuge/extractor is a function of the rotation speed of the centrifuge and the radius of rotation. i.e a bigger extractor with a larger diameter will exert more force on a frame than one running at the same rpm but having a smaller diameter.
The equation is: G-force= 1.12 x R x (RPM/1000)²
where R is the radius of the extractor cage.

The finish is poor, as I expected, with very sharp edges on the metal cross strut holding the motor. National frames fit ok, with a loop of cable tie to support each.
Take it apart again and run a dremel type tool over them and round everything off; you'll be glad you did. I had numerous fine "paper cuts" on my hands/fingers from handling one, the legs especially are the worst source for cuts.
Alternatively wear leather gloves 😵‍💫

Take it apart again and run a dremel type tool over them and round everything off; you'll be glad you did. I had numerous fine "paper cuts" on my hands/fingers from handling one, the legs especially are the worst source for cuts.
Alternatively wear leather gloves 😵‍💫
Yes, I nearly put on a pair of leather gloves. How long do use spin each set of the frames for, as the max speed is much lower than when I hand crank on the old machine?

Latest posts

Back