Extractor questions.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always felt the motor or control system was always the most likely bit to fail (midway through of course), having the manual option should let me finish the job if it happens.

I've just ordered a Konigin 9 frame electric plus manual drive with baskets so I can do tangential extraction of deep frames. A bit over £1000. I'll report back when it arrives.
good luck with cleaning it! I returned mine as not fit for use! I have tested several and in the end I don't think you can beat thornes heavy duty plastic nine frame electric. So easy to clean and use. Just starting the Konigin is a faff, cleaning it is a an injury that didn't wait to happen, it did happen with cuts to hands and arms.
E

Last edited:
I see.
You should be fine with your Konigin,although elbow driven machines can still strip their gears .
You're covering all bases so credit to you
Mmmmmmmmm I wouldn't bet on it. I think my Konigin is brilliant but for some reason it keeps blowing control boxes, Thornes are great and normally get me a replacement within 24 hrs under warranty if I give them a sob story.
Everyone is baffled why it keeps happening but I've a sneaky suspicion its the power supply.
I now have several surge suppressors to protect the machine. Fingers crossed🤞🏻

Last edited:
I have gone for a manual Abelo/Lyson for now, knowing that I can buy their bolt-on electric motor later if I want to. I suspect I will be OK without it.

Can't comment on the quality yet as haven't used it in anger .....

I extracted my best ever honey crop of just short of 1000lb in 2018 with a four frame hand crank. It was boring hard work. It's actually the first extractor I ever got and it's my favourite. It's easy to clean and I can do just the odd super if I like...
BUT it doesn't take brood frames. I did have a Giordan electric 8 frame that took two brood frames but it was drill driven and in the end I wasn't happy with it. It did the job for 10 years and I replaced it with an Abelo 20 frame electric radial. It's a joy to use, It takes four brood frames, I can get it through the kitchen door and not too bad to clean. Husband has made a platform with wheels for it to sit on
Just doing a little '22 research on extractors and spat out my drink reading this! I feel like I've definitely had enough after extracting a couple of supers with my little 2 frame manual 😅 How many hives were you running that year?

I use a lyson budget 20 frame electric.no problems works well. Also one 20 frame load fills a 15kg bucket.
I put it on a frame with wheels and it helps alot. Remember the time you will us to extract 200 to 300 frames with 10 to 12 production hives. I have been harvesting the last few weeks to make space as the flow in the romney marsh has been great.
If I had to spin by hand in my hot shed with a 4 frame extractor, i wont have time to finish other bee jobs. But storage ,portability,cleaning and budget may
impact

I extracted my best ever honey crop of just short of 1000lb in 2018 with a four frame hand crank. It was boring hard work. It's actually the first extractor I ever got and it's my favourite. It's easy to clean and I can do just the odd super if I like...
BUT it doesn't take brood frames. I did have a Giordan electric 8 frame that took two brood frames but it was drill driven and in the end I wasn't happy with it. It did the job for 10 years and I replaced it with an Abelo 20 frame electric radial. It's a joy to use, It takes four brood frames, I can get it through the kitchen door and not too bad to clean. Husband has made a platform with wheels for it to sit on
If yours is the minima line, I have the same. Excellent extractor, just contemplating something with swing cages as my main crop is heather and the swing cages seem to be a better option than the tangential converter screens Abelo sell. Swing basket extractors seem to take far fewer frames though 🤔

I don't know...so I had a quick look at my account.
I wish I hadn't.
It doesn't say...it's the one with the red legs. A darn sight more expensive than when I bought it. They threw in four screens for me
I think it's called the classic now - I think you had the same as mine which can be run on a 12v battery if needs be

I don't know...so I had a quick look at my account.
I wish I hadn't.
It doesn't say...it's the one with the red legs. A darn sight more expensive than when I bought it. They threw in four screens for me
Ah, no then - mine was the cheapo one with black legs. Frightfully expensive now too I don't doubt. I've got most of my receipts for kit in a cupboard I know I'll never have reason to go in.

I have a 9 frame radial. Great except whhen you end up with an even number of frames. So I would go for an even number of frames radial. 6,8,12 etc, Balancing is a doddle.

What if you end up with an odd number of frames? :D

James
I find a 12 frame extractor is very useful as it does so many combinations when doing the last few frames of an extraction .
It can do 2,3,4,6,8,9,10 and 12

More or less my point but much better explained. 12 would now be my choice but the 9 frame was a bargain, A bit like the golfer "I'm not really a left hander but the clubs were a bargain"!!

Latest posts

Back