usual Euro b.....s

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's hope it has some beneficial results - it is barking bonkers to penalise beekeepers for something over which they have no control, far more sensible to remove the root cause of the problem.
It also shows just how mad the UK policy of "secret" GM trials is - how are we supposed to know if there's a likelihood of our bees producing contaminated honey?

Maybe we should sue if our honey has been contaminated!! Challenge them.

I think we need an MP to "raise it in the house" - sadly my MP is a dyed-in-the-wool "Big Agger", so he's out.... anyone got a sane MP?

With Rothamsted Researh station wanting to test GM crops on their out farms, that ruling could destroy beekeeping in south Bedfordshire , west Hertfrodshire and the northern part of Barnet & District BKA's area

Therefore it should be stopped forthwith!

Sadly, the other people who'll suffer contamination are the surrounding farmers, most of which won't say a dicky-bird as they're in the thrall of DEFRA and the NFU....

Last edited:
Suppliers of honey whose pollen is found to be more than 0.9 per cent GM will have to undergo full safety authorisation and label their honey accordingly.

I really can't imagine anyone checking the honey sold round these parts.

Chris

I think we need an MP to "raise it in the house" - sadly my MP is a dyed-in-the-wool "Big Agger", so he's out.... anyone got a sane MP?

you have more chance of finding a bootmaker for fish!

Surely there is a selling point here. We dont have gm(widespread) here so beekeepers should be publicising the fact that uk honey does not contain GM whereas your imports probably do.

Surely there is a selling point here. We dont have gm(widespread) here so beekeepers should be publicising the fact that uk honey does not contain GM whereas your imports probably do.

I think you mean possibly NOT probably, just to get it right you understand.

Chris

:iagree:

This is why Rowse are upset as it puts more responsibility on them with most of their honey being imported. In the short term it adds value to UK honey. In the long term who knows? Depends on how long we can fend off GM crops.

:iagree:

This is why Rowse are upset as it puts more responsibility on them with most of their honey being imported. In the short term it adds value to UK honey. In the long term who knows? Depends on how long we can fend off GM crops.

:iagree: as well Chris,and maybe they won't be so keen to say they don't want English honey,but i wouldn't bet on it.

In all seriousness it could well bode well for EU honey in general as the largest imports that fill the shelves are from Countries that have large areas of GM crops and are the Countries that are forcing down the price, China , Argentina etc.

Chris

The ECJ Ruling was front page news of the BBKA November mag.

Unfortunately the ECJ ruling cannot be overturned as the ECJ is the superior legal body in the EU. The only way the ruling could be overturned is by a change in the law and we know how long that takes. Years.

" As usual the ECJ has gone overboard. "The general feeling is that the ECJ ruling does not reflect the original intention of the legislation ...."" Same as the ECJ has rules that foreigh criminals and rapists have the right to family life with a puppy and all that tosh.

Heather, Does b.....s means someone of doubtful parentage or a double appendage in a small flexible container between the right hip and left thigh of most gentlemen?

This might be just a small point, but appears glaringly obvious to an interested bystander such as myself, but what is 'Genetically Modified'.
My Father-in-law used to be a sweet pea fanatic & was always cross pollenating his plants with a paint brush. Are they not genetically modified in that he was artificially crossing different strains to breed in a particulat trait? Would my bees produce GM contaminated honey if they fed on his plants?
Surely pedigree animals are 'Genetically Modified' by the inbreeding forced on them by breeders?
Donning tin helmet for probably missing the obvious, but it is just a thought I had since first hearing the phrase on TV.

Unfortunately the ECJ ruling cannot be overturned as the ECJ is the superior legal body in the EU. The only way the ruling could be overturned is by a change in the law and we know how long that takes. Years.

In which case the only real way out is to stop the frankencrap,if the ruling or law cannot now be changed.

My Father-in-law used to be a sweet pea fanatic & was always cross pollenating his plants with a paint brush. Are they not genetically modified in that he was artificially crossing different strains to breed in a particulat trait?

Did he ever cross any of his sweet peas with say, a fish,a tomato, or a duck.

This might be just a small point, but appears glaringly obvious to an interested bystander such as myself, but what is 'Genetically Modified'.
My Father-in-law used to be a sweet pea fanatic & was always cross pollenating his plants with a paint brush. Are they not genetically modified in that he was artificially crossing different strains to breed in a particulat trait? Would my bees produce GM contaminated honey if they fed on his plants?
Surely pedigree animals are 'Genetically Modified' by the inbreeding forced on them by breeders?
Donning tin helmet for probably missing the obvious, but it is just a thought I had since first hearing the phrase on TV.
selective breeding is not the same as genetically modified.
GM is done in a lab, splicing genes, using a virus as a vector.
selective breeding is much simpler, and can be done at home, simply by selective pollination of flowers.

So if I see this correctly, GM is taking a gene from a (possibly) totally different organism, rather than something similar & introducing it at the DNA level?
Sorry. I said I thought I had been missing something at a basic level.

So if I see this correctly, GM is taking a gene from a (possibly) totally different organism, rather than something similar & introducing it at the DNA level?
Sorry. I said I thought I had been missing something at a basic level.

In many ways it is a matter of semantics, what side of the debate you are on and how much hysteria you want to whip up. A gene is simply a piece of DNA. DNA is only an order combination, of varying length, of a very small number of amino acids (4), combined in set pairings, like sophisticated binary code.

You share >98% of your genes with a chimpanzee, and over 50% with a banana. Individual genes may or may not be species specific, actually unlikely to be so, so when they say it is a fish gene, it is most likely a gene that happened to be taken from a fish rather than one only from that particular fish, and most genes are not bot. or zoo. specific either. The specific recombination of the acid pairings may have been found elsewhere, but the acids themselves are actually universal in all DNA carrying organisms.

As regards the ruling and the scepticism on here about the figures announced by rowse, well in fact I am surprised they are so low. we stopped packing here in 2001 and still have a lot of labels, but IF I had to replace all the labels we had in stock at that time I would have had to fork out in excess of 100K. Liquidation time. ( No doubt welcomed by the commercial haters.)

My sources in Europe tell me that this was no simple case of poor beekeepers taking a stand. The hives were deliberately placed there, right beside the crop, to generate this result. So you cheering masses (if indeed masses there are) need to bear one thing in mind. You are being manipulated (probably by both sides) and your honey, which is as safe today as ever it was, will now be viewed with doubt as a result of the activities of anti GM activists. It is a fact that honey contains pollen just as an apple contains malic acid. An ingredient??? Honey with NO pollen is not honey, so to be honey it MUST contain pollen.

We, and our bees, are being used as the connon fodder in this issue. The anti GM people think their issue SO important (typical of single issue activists) that they have no interest in the collateral damage. All of us are potentially just that collateral damage. The do not care about our future, just achieving their own desired outcome. ( A plague I cast equally on the houses both sides.)

The 0.9% issue seems also to be causing confusion. This is a nebulous point right now due to the tests only being able to confirm the presence or otherwise of GM pollen, but not to do a pollen count to decide if 0.9% or more of the pollen is from GM. It is quite specific however, despite assertions in other posts, that the level is 0.9% of the pollens, not of the product, so filtration to remove a large amount of the pollen is unlikely to work, as the much reduced post filtration pollen analysis is not all that likely to be radically different percentage wise than before (except inthe case of things like heather which have very large and more easily removed pollen grains). The count may be radically down, but the percentages will be similar to before.

There is much to be decided yet on this issue. The rather bizarre nature of the ruling caught almost everyone bar the activists by surprise. Not one jar of honey from anywhere in the world can be guaranteed not to contain a single grain of GM pollen. The end of beekeeping was not the intention of the court, but for many it may well be if common sense does not prevail. I know EU kicking is the way for many in this country, but those in high places in Europe are trying to find the way forward on this and a practical and sensible way at that.

Someone else also mentioned Rowse not wanting to buy UK honey. Well Rowse would LOVE to buy all the UK honey they could get...........but in reality it is not Rowse themsleves that make that decision. Their main customers will just not buy enough of the honey at todays levels as there is insufficient market for the product at the price point required. Lovely to get these prices, but the laws of supply and demand take over and if the price goes too high the sales stop, if the price readjusts then the whole market will open up and Rowse will have a sale for it, and if they have a sale they will buy in all they need. Rowse sales teams go out and obtain sales or contracts, then the buyers go in and source the product to meet those. Rowse are not a charity and cannot afford to carry huge inventories of stock that they have no sale for.

Latest posts

Back