Time on my hands...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the eve of Christmas, it was all quiet in the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.....only a glance out the window, and what should I see, one of my honeybees, looking at me !!

Yes - it's a mild damp Christmas eve here in North Wiltshire, and the honeybees are far from being in the tight cluster they ought to be in this time of the year.

The fondant is ready in the truck for distributing to the hives after Christmas, and I read with interest that the NBU feel there are lots of reports of 'large drops of varroa' post treatments.

I wonder about the reasoning behind this and I think it's down to beekeepers thinking 'I'll vape when the queen goes off lay and that time is December' and this'll be their chosen method of varroa control. Too little too late !! The fact you're getting massive mite drops is you should have treated earlier in the season, either before the spring flow, or after the summer flow. The trick is to keep varroa populations at a low level, not think one intervention a year will help the bees to survive.

There is far too much misleading advice out there and it's leading to too few interventions (integrated pest control for varroa should be an entire module in the training of beekeepers)

Which leads me onto another subject of contention - the re-writing of the BBKA syllabus modules by the new Education Committee. Myself and a fair few others are scratching our heads wondering why the history of beekeeping is being incorporated into what should be the 'Beekeeping Basics' ? It seems to be an appendage waving exercise in pointless knowledge. Why be tested on numerous historical facts instead of the proper beekeeping basics, and stop confusing new beekeepers in the process.

It's easy to think having lots of modules under one's belt and numerous additional qualifications makes you an outstanding beekeeper but nothing, NOTHING should depart from the basics and knowledge accumulation through years of beekeeping. If you know the set up of the BBKA you'll know what I'm on about here.

I'm all for training but not needless and pointless training that requires a whole shelf of out of print books to learn off by heart to get a pass.

On to the coming year - it seems that prices are rising across the board. Glass jars and metal lids going up due to higher costs of manufacture (gas) and demand for raw materials. I wonder how this will trickle down to the price of honey at the gate ? After all one can only cover increasing costs for so long.
I'm also seeing a gradual upwards trend in prices in general, I guess the raw materials that go into many of the parts we buy must also be more expensive for the manufacturers, who, though they produce in bulk, must have to assess their own selling prices in due course.

The Winter beekeeping sales seem a bit thin on the ground in quantity and volume of goods being offered vs previous years. Either less 2nd stock is being produced and carried or more focus on full margin 1st quality products is behind it. That said, after two whole seasons enduring lockdowns, semi lock downs and uncertainty, there must be a lot of 2nd hand kit waiting to find a new home via one of the many bee auctions that have been postponed before...let's hope 2022 sees them again.

Personally, I'm only looking for a new smoker as my existing ones have had their day, and a good source of best value tea light holders and wicks as have a new outlet to supply in bulk...I've never really enjoyed candle making but if it helps reduce my wax stocks profitably then I guess I'm going to have to face facts !

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and Prosperous New Year !

S

the re-writing of the BBKA syllabus modules by the new Education Committee. Myself and a fair few others are scratching our heads wondering why the history of beekeeping is being incorporated into what should be the 'Beekeeping Basics' ? It seems to be an appendage waving exercise in pointless knowledge. Why be tested on numerous historical facts instead of the proper beekeeping basics, and stop confusing new beekeepers in the process.

It's easy to think having lots of modules under one's belt and numerous additional qualifications makes you an outstanding beekeeper but nothing, NOTHING should depart from the basics and knowledge accumulation through years of beekeeping. If you know the set up of the BBKA you'll know what I'm on about here.

I'm all for training but not needless and pointless training that requires a whole shelf of out of print books to learn off by heart to get a pass.
:iagree: it's the boy scout mentality - the collection of badges is the be all and end all

Latest posts

Back