Thieving bar stewards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm always sorry to hear that someone has had their bees stolen because we put so much time and effort into keeping them. But I'm fortunate to have what must be the most secure bees in the country. My hives are kept within a 300 year old fortification with walls 15 feet thick, it has its own moats 40 feet deep, infrared cc tv cameras as well as 20 foot high anti climb fencing and a 24 hour guard. That should keep them safe but you never know.....

Well ... I suggested some physical security but I think that's going a bit over the top !! I was thinking more of a lump of concrete set in the ground under the hive with a hoop of rebar in it and a strong chain and padlock ...

I hope those bees become the bees from hell with a particularly potent venom, they get a good old stinging by many bees down the crack of their backside, and discover they are allergic, in the middle of nowhere, alone. Bar stewards!

I hope those bees become the bees from hell with a particularly potent venom, they get a good old stinging by many bees down the crack of their backside,

:eek:

Remind me never to get on the wrong side of you Kaz!! :)

What would Dusty say about tolerance and forgiveness to your fellow man?................
Ah, I recall him saying something similar but with language a bit more colourful - obviously he's the bad influence!

What would Dusty say about tolerance and forgiveness to your fellow man?................
Ah, I recall him saying something similar but with language a bit more colourful - obviously he's the bad influence!

I just dislike thieves, immensely lol

I suspect we are both as bad as each other heh heh ;)

I just dislike thieves, immensely lol

I suspect we are both as bad as each other heh heh ;)

Oi!

I'm still here, you know.
A bloke's got feelings.

D

Oi!

I'm still here, you know.
A bloke's got feelings.

D

LOL!!

My language can be colourful also when I am not on my best behaviour ;) You should have heard me at that first inspection lol, it was enough to make a squady blush! I do hope your son isn't the sensitive type, and wasn't within earshot ;)

Checked today, when digging some spuds and hunting for sparrowgrass beetles (didn't find even one - just a very few grubs on one plant), and noticed zero activity at the hive that had been moved. Will check tomorrow or Monday (bee kit is in my car at the repairers, grr!)

Bar steward(s) also stole an OMF as well, I think. Shall have to check around to see if any other boxes have gone.

Checked today, when digging some spuds and hunting for sparrowgrass beetles (didn't find even one - just a very few grubs on one plant), and noticed zero activity at the hive that had been moved. Will check tomorrow or Monday (bee kit is in my car at the repairers, grr!)

Bar steward(s) also stole an OMF as well, I think. Shall have to check around to see if any other boxes have gone.

I am so sorry this has happened to you, you must be furious! Was your equipment marked in any way? I know it's a long shot. I hope you don't find more equipment has been stolen.

Last edited by a moderator:
My step daughter is a Plod and she agrees with you, pargyle

My two spaniels were stolen in March from my front garden. The breeder of our black spaniel is a police woman. She told us the police wouldn't do anything and we were better off trying the local gypsy camps. Luckily a friend use to be in the pub trade and knows people who know people that know people. We also advertised their thief heavily on fb. We were lucky and managed to get them back. Crime in the countryside isn't high enough on their priorities. Had to argue to get a crime number so their micro chips couldn't be changed.

Hope you are lucky and find out who took your bees, or karma prevails and they get what they deserve.

Crime in the countryside isn't high enough on their priorities. Had to argue to get a crime number so their micro chips couldn't be changed.
It's the same in this area. Even though they talk about their countrywatch they don't seem to do much other than have some names on a website. I've been trying to contact one of these names for over two years!

What they refer to as rural petty theft is treated just the same as anything that might be difficult to deal with, they just ignore it so it doesn't get into the records as unsolved, and concentrate on raising the easier ways of making their numbers look good.

I built this a few years ago for the chickens. The last one died recently and my old site had become exposed to the wind due to some changes to the land so I moved them in. I'll be fitting some locks soon.

n62wyr.jpg

m81lyt.jpg

Father-in-law had a tractor stolen from locked grain store then got a phone call 6 months later from police to say it had been found in Poland! So, maybe, just maybe RAB they will turn up again....

It's a real kick in the teeth though because this is a fellow beekeeper (although use that term very loosely)

Here is an update. Some information withheld earlier as this is a farce.

I rang Bourne station last thursday and the crime investigation had not been allocated to an investigating officer. As health of colony was likely being compromised, the seargent at Bourne raised the priority level for investigation.

Sunday, at 08:15, I rang Lincoln re allocation to an investigating officer and was directed to the 'crime bureau' at 0900 onwards. My call at 09:10 supplied me with the name of the investigating officer. I did not ask when it was allocated.

However, this morning I find that the investigating officer has just been on night shift and would not be back on duty until 07:00 Friday.

Great! I will fill in with more details as it becomes appropriate, but the trail may well be going cold for the return of my hive and colony. I have inspected the 'moved' colony this morning (suspected something was wrong due to much reduced activity at the entrance) and found that the colony has been destroyed - broken frames and comb left under the roof. Completely dead. Closed up and left. Police can inspect it if they wish, as part of the investigation. No risk of getting stung from that one, now.

This will run full course. The local Inspector will be contacting me shortly. I had a long chat with him about other matters where the inadequacies of one of their investigating officers was discussed in fair detail (about 3 or 4 years ago). No problems since then, until slow grinding progress when I need some action.

RAB

Last edited:
A result! Phone call from the inspector at 12:05. A fellow that gets things moving.

I'm off to see some different investigating officers at 12:30 with a view to them acting immediately, if not sooner!

Watch this space.

RAB

I built this a few years ago for the chickens. The last one died recently and my old site had become exposed to the wind due to some changes to the land so I moved them in. I'll be fitting some locks soon.

n62wyr.jpg

m81lyt.jpg

take me longer to walk there than to get in...
Stick some more plants in to disguise the hives and paint them shades of green.

Latest posts

Back