Swarm Collectors Map

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Steve, we spoke the other day on the phone, but i had to go and answer the other phone.

Did you manage to sort the few small issues with the map?

My concern about the map idea, although fairly straightfoward to use, is: how are you going to get traffic to it via google?
All very well beekeepers knowing about it, or the BBKA. Its joe public who has the swarm that needs to find it.

The swarm collectors list on my wasp site ranks near number one on google for "bee swarm" or "bee swarm collector" and we get a lot of traffic to it. May not be a fancy map, but you just click your county and are taken to a list of swarm collectors in that county, home phone numbers and mobile numbers are included. Simples!

Hi Paul,
When the map is poulated with swarm collectors then it needs publicity, and I hope links from every association site. As you say, it's the public that matter, and they are totally confused by the present systems because to a large extent they are designed with beekeepers in mind, not terrified Mrs Smith of Letsby Avenue. One day I will be competing with you for that top Google spot, but hopefully our systems will cross-link:)

I'm all for an independent database - the BBKA tries to dominate UK beekeeping, despite being a minority organisation, having control over swarms is yet another way in which they can try to force people into membership*......
All the time they continue their close association with the pesticide companies (which despite all the recent trumpeting to the contrary they still do), a great many people are "voting with their feet" and staying "outside" until policies (and the people responsible) are swept away, and it can return to being an association for ALL beekeepers..........

*I have it on good authority that a local association is putting a great deal of (much resented) pressure on local swarm collectors to only "rehome" bees for cash payments through them, and only to BBKA members..........

Here we go again. That's a local association - allegedly. Not BBKA policy.

A couple of years ago I contacted my local council and got them to change their website from "if you have bees contact a pest control company" to "contact the local beekeepers association - here's the number". Result.

I'm all for an independent database - the BBKA tries to dominate UK beekeeping, despite being a minority organisation, having control over swarms is yet another way in which they can try to force people into membership*......
All the time they continue their close association with the pesticide companies (which despite all the recent trumpeting to the contrary they still do), a great many people are "voting with their feet" and staying "outside" until policies (and the people responsible) are swept away, and it can return to being an association for ALL beekeepers..........

*I have it on good authority that a local association is putting a great deal of (much resented) pressure on local swarm collectors to only "rehome" bees for cash payments through them, and only to BBKA members..........

Yup, seen it happen round here.....

Steve,

I've just had a proper look at your map and I think it's a really well thought-out, well put together tool.
I think this is exactly what joe public would want if they found a swarm in their garden - rather than having to trawl through BBKA lists or ring a local swarm co-ordinator (who will invariably be out when they phone).

If you can sort out the following I think you will have cracked it and done beekeeping a good service in the process...
- You need to be no.1 ranked on google. This needs to be the first site people see when they google "bee swarm" or whatever.
- You need a reliable mechanism for keeping the info correct and up to date.
- You need to consider the issue of competence and reliability. I know it is not technically your problem but if someone contacts a swarm collector who then turns up and charges them and extortionate amount or, even worse, a new beek with no experience turns up and makes a hash of it - it could reflect badly on your site.

All things that can be overcome though.:)

Hope this helps.
Andy

My understanding is every association is supposed to recommended to members to accept donations only (to the loccal association not the BBKA), (and expenses) so the insurance cover remains valid (i.e. it's not a commercial venture) That would suggest that the local association you mention is working well outside BBKA policy.

Adam

and are the public aware of how to get in contact with the BBKA when they panic because they find a swarm in their garden???? no of course not,,, they call the police/council/ pest control..... so to me it seems sensible that the police/council/pest control have access to a site which will tell them instantly who the public can call..

The Norfolk BKA have sent a list of swarm co-ordinators to all local councils and police forces
I know, I am the co-ordinator for South Norfolk, and get calls from not only the council & the police, but also from pest controllers and even from members of the public who are directed to me.
I then contact the nearest beekeeper from a list of beekeepers who have offered to collect swarms, or I go and get them myself.

could someone pm me the link so I can see what the fuss is about

Steve,

rather than having to trawl through BBKA lists or ring a local swarm co-ordinator (who will invariably be out when they phone).

Slight exaggeration...type town or postcode, hit "return"!

And finding a pin to zap on the map especially where they are crowded together is not the easiest thing.

Just collected nice swarm after a call through this site. Householder found it through Google.
Seems to be working then

In support of Steve, I'll give him his due in that he made the effort to contact me to confirm that I was happy to have my details included on his web site (the fact that we share the same odd name, albeit mine's my Christian name, helped too!).

Mark, I think that we should all rally round and support this new web site. After all, the guy's doing it to help all and sundry, not to rip anyone off by charging to be on there.

Just a thought. This forum started with one member and grew.

In the long run it would be sensible for the BBKA to adopt a similar presentation using their undoubtedly larger database. I have had discussions with them, but they do not want to talk to me at the moment. It would be best for swarm co-ordinators to update the system since they know most of the data.

They (BBKA) do exactly that and I am on it. They recently rejigged their webpage and advised members through their newsletter of the requirement to re-register via their newsletter. I re-registered last week and have already been called out by a worried householder who chose me from the list because I was the closest. QED. Admin please note.

I am more than happy to link to the website if the majority of members are happy to?
I admit I may of got it wrong in giving a knee jerk reaction to a new member posting a link while I was trying to protect members from spam.

Mark.

Dear Admin.

You deleted a link in my posting which allows forum members to see a new swarm collectors map which is free, and not developed by a company, but by a hobby beekeeper.
You wrote "read the forum rules". As a new forum member I did read the forum rules, and the relevant bits say:

Do not post links if asked to do so by a company-other forum member. I am not a company and I was not asked to do it by another forum member.

"not Likely to offend" The material to which my link points is not objectionable.
I"not to a commercial website" - it is not a link to a commercial website
"Not to a website affiliated to the BBKA "It is not a link to a website affiliated to the BBKA"
"Not in a members signature" - It is not a link in a signature.

So there is no rule against posting the link.
The reason given was wrong, and the implication that I had not read the rules was also wrong.

Please can you explain why it is unnaceptable, or confirm that I may re-post with the link.

Many Thanks

Steve Dyer

well said mate :iagree: put it back up

Any help with directing the public to those of us competent to collect and looking to increase must be a good thing, although I can fully understand Admins desire to protect us.
BTW I'm still waiting for my first swarm this year so anyone out there (nearby) that's over run!

I am more than happy to link to the website if the majority of members are happy to?
I admit I may of got it wrong in giving a knee jerk reaction to a new member posting a link while I was trying to protect members from spam.

Mark.

Wholly agree with what you did and you have always had the forum's well-being at the forefront of your mind.....and you're the only reason why this site is the best beekeeping forum on the WWW!

I hope that the 'swarm catcher' web site takes off.

Thank you for supporting the site.
Mark is a caring Admin, and as an internet person I know all too well that Admin is an impossible job and Admins get little thanks for doing it. I am happy to say that I know that Mark does a good job in standing up for the forum and I overreacted. I hope we can now move on.

Mark.

In all fairness Mark, you did the same thing to me and i have stuck the course.
Whats good for one is good for another surley? I didnt shout or even remark when a link to my bee swarm page was linked then the link removed.

All i am saying is lets have some consistencey here.
Either you link to all members sites, or you link to none. Just cause one shouts louder than the other, doesnt mean that they deserve it more.

I have spent countless hours, adding new people to the list, spell checking and altering bad content to enhance their advert and asked nothing in return.

Back