Court case abpout OTC

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you any cases in court, how much you get jail for killing varroa with illegal methods?

In our legal system first somebody should press charges. And who that will be?

There have been no publicised cases of prosecution for using illegal varroicides but I'm Sure it's only a matter of time before the Veterinary Medicines Directorate decides to flex its legal muscles.

FYI, Finnie, it is the VMD who would bring the prosecution (press charges).

CVB

There have been no publicised cases of prosecution for using illegal varroicides but I'm Sure it's only a matter of time before the Veterinary Medicines Directorate decides to flex its legal muscles.

FYI, Finnie, it is the VMD who would bring the prosecution (press charges).

CVB

As Murray's case shows, the VMD need an evidence trail to follow so they can prosecute successfully.

And they can ask beekeeping suppliers for purchase records of chemicals purchased by a beekeeper. But as there are at least 4 major suppliers and lots of minor ones they'll likely go for the easier to prove cases and the bigger users.. ie. commercial beekeepers first ..

As Murray's case shows, the VMD need an evidence trail to follow so they can prosecute successfully.

Yep. If I had kept my trap tight shut instead of being completely open about it and telling them exactly how I cam to have it, and even dug out the receipted invoice to show them I doubt they could have done much about the precautionary OTC purchase.......

But that's not the way I work. This case changes nothing and I stay open and free with information for those who want it. I'm not ashamed of looking after the bees, just sad that it came to this to achieve it.

Someone I believe passed the comment that the law is an ass.

Case proven?

PH

In my country idea is to encourage to treat mites, not to punish those who treats mites.

There have been no publicised cases of prosecution for using illegal varroicides

CVB

I wonder if they will be. Whose advantage it is? Those who sell oxalic acid £200/kg or those who sell same stuff £ 10/kg.

How the law is going to stand that shame of money milking.

I think it will come to the stage when eventually beekeepers will speak out collectively, or go public

I think it will come to the stage when eventually beekeepers will speak out collectively, or go public

That is true. How beekeepers can stand that kind of treatment?

What wrong beekeepers can do with killing mites?

Where would you stand if your bees robbed a neighbouring beekeepers hives that had been treated with something they shouldn't ? I know of 4 beekeepers within flying distance of my home apiary; 2 have lost their bees, 1 has not checked his hives for nearly 2 years, and 1 has moved away, but can't move his hives until Spring. At the moment I am more worried about them getting a load of varroa or nosema from the unchecked bees, but you never know, and bees are opportunistic when it comes to robbing.

Where would you stand if your bees robbed a neighbouring beekeepers hives that had been treated with something they shouldn't ? I know of 4 beekeepers within flying distance of my home apiary; 2 have lost their bees, 1 has not checked his hives for nearly 2 years, and 1 has moved away, but can't move his hives until Spring. At the moment I am more worried about them getting a load of varroa or nosema from the unchecked bees, but you never know, and bees are opportunistic when it comes to robbing.

It would leave you in a very difficult place if the level of what was found was above reporting level. I had exactly this scenario once.

That could get very messy, but always remember the burden of proof lies on the other side. However they WILL intimidate you at interview and a definite attempt will be made to put words in your mouth.

I will be doing an article for 'Bee Farmer' magazine that might go some way to letting people know how they will treat you if they decide to have a go at you.

Thanks Murray, when will this article be out?

but for the Grace of God go I springs to mind......... the oxallic is for cleaning me boat .. honest!

Nos da

ITLD
Will us mere mortals be able to get a look at the article?

I will leave that to others to decide. It may end up in other bee publications.

but

once it is done and published I will be happy to send copies by email to those who ask for it. I don't propose to have people bombarded with it. There are some to whom this is still a hanging offence........and I don't want them arriving here and haranguing people.

Thanks Murray, when will this article be out?

Alex needs the copy I'm the next few days for going in the next edition. writing cap on next couple of days as I an in the south first half of next week....including a talk to south Gloucestershire beeks on Tuesday.

I will leave that to others to decide. It may end up in other bee publications.

but

once it is done and published I will be happy to send copies by email to those who ask for it. I don't propose to have people bombarded with it. There are some to whom this is still a hanging offence........and I don't want them arriving here and haranguing people.

Thank you. It will make for a salutary read i suspect.
Bloody.....roll on spring!

That could get very messy, but always remember the burden of proof lies on the other side. However they WILL intimidate you at interview and a definite attempt will be made to put words in your mouth.

I read somewhere one technique for resistance to interrogation is to focus on a spot on the wall about a foot to the side of the interrogators head and say absolutely nothing at all from start to finish.

I read somewhere one technique for resistance to interrogation is to focus on a spot on the wall about a foot to the side of the interrogators head and say absolutely nothing at all from start to finish.

A refusal to answer tends to leave the interviewer/interrogator stumped.

But better is to precede it with the statement first" I am totally innocent of anything within your remit so see no need to answer any questions - so I will not"

but for the Grace of God go I springs to mind......... the oxallic is for cleaning me boat .. honest!

Nos da

However...On no account brood over your wrongdoing. Rolling in the muck is not the best way of getting clean.” ----Aldous Huxley, Brave New World.

Nos da

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back