Swarm Collectors Map

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Dyer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I have developed a map that allows a swarm finder to input their postcode and immediately get the phone number of the nearest swarm collector.
If you are a swarm collector, or want to be one please take a look at:
http://swarmcollectorsmap.blogspot.com/Links to own websites not allowed please read forum rules before posting admin..
I would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this.
Many thanks
Steve

Great.

Perhaps you might also send it to local councils for them to include in their news letters......as it seems as if Norwich doesnt have a list at all...

What did you use as your source for swarm collectors?

Can anyone tell me how I contact the administrator?

Various lists from websites which are in the public domain. I have had to modify the records and do some research to get the data in a farm that I can use. However it is nowhere near a complete list, and I am still trying to trace some of the people on the list by means other than ringing each one up!

One of the problems that is being reported is the amount of new beekeepers collecting swarms.

Its my understanding that the BBKA swarm collectors list only has experienced beekeepers on it.

I would of thought it safer if a member of the public contacts their local Beekeeping association if they have a swarm that needs removing?

FWIW

I am registered with the local authorities around here, 3 of, and also the three police authorities.

However not being a member of a local association I am not an official swarm collector..LOL
Bloody joke.

8 swarms collected so far this season for public safety.

PH

PH,I dont think I can include you in the new beekeeper bracket ;)

p.s does that mean you have no public liabilty insurance when swarm collecting due to not being a local association member?

Dear Admin.

You deleted a link in my posting which allows forum members to see a new swarm collectors map which is free, and not developed by a company, but by a hobby beekeeper.
You wrote "read the forum rules". As a new forum member I did read the forum rules, and the relevant bits say:

Do not post links if asked to do so by a company-other forum member. I am not a company and I was not asked to do it by another forum member.

"not Likely to offend" The material to which my link points is not objectionable.
I"not to a commercial website" - it is not a link to a commercial website
"Not to a website affiliated to the BBKA "It is not a link to a website affiliated to the BBKA"
"Not in a members signature" - It is not a link in a signature.

So there is no rule against posting the link.
The reason given was wrong, and the implication that I had not read the rules was also wrong.

Please can you explain why it is unnaceptable, or confirm that I may re-post with the link.

Many Thanks

Steve Dyer

You can add me to the list, my GPS is 000.00 Lat 000.00 Long. By the way, I had a cr@p honey production last year!!!!!

Brian.

Dear Admin.

Please can you explain why it is unnaceptable, or confirm that I may re-post with the link.

Many Thanks

Steve Dyer

Because I have not sat here for the last couple of thousand hours building the forum membership to over 6000 members for you to waltz in having joined 4 days ago and point an outside link to a website you have built on a free domain.

Admin.

Various lists from websites which are in the public domain. I have had to modify the records and do some research to get the data in a farm that I can use. However it is nowhere near a complete list, and I am still trying to trace some of the people on the list by means other than ringing each one up!

Hi Steve

i notice that there are none of the Worthing, chichester, or wisbrough green bka swarm collectors other than you. i also notice that you also cover the barnes and sw london area. i think you need to be a bit careful how you promote the site you need to make sure if you are going to do something like this you cover areas better.

I haven't looked at the site but it sounds like it could be useful.
How do you envisage it being used Steve? Would the general public use it to find someone if they discover a swarm in their garden for example?
How will you continue to update the list? Is the ultimate aim for you to have people contact you directly to log their details?

In the long run it would be sensible for the BBKA to adopt a similar presentation using their undoubtedly larger database. I have had discussions with them, but they do not want to talk to me at the moment. It would be best for swarm co-ordinators to update the system since they know most of the data.

Hi Steve

i notice that there are none of the Worthing, chichester, or wisbrough green bka swarm collectors other than you.

I am not claiming this to be a complete map, it is a demonstration of a new way of providing a good service to the public. There is much to be done to develop a full map.

The BBKA website already does this for members - I wouldn't waste your time reinventing the wheel...

R2

The BBKA website already does this for members - I wouldn't waste your time reinventing the wheel...

R2

and are the public aware of how to get in contact with the BBKA when they panic because they find a swarm in their garden???? no of course not,,, they call the police/council/ pest control..... so to me it seems sensible that the police/council/pest control have access to a site which will tell them instantly who the public can call..

Latest posts

Back