Swarm Collectors Map

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a nice idea, but I found Merylvingien's list is actually easier to use. There aren't that many swarm collectors on any list, BBKA or otherwise, so simply bringing up a list for the relevant county seems a bit quicker than shifting an online map around (esp. as you have to zoom in to separate overlapping entries). It also has slightly more useful info and precise locations.

NB. apologies if someone has already mentioned this, but the thread for that is here: http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2943

For our records centre I have been recommending the local BKAs first, then the list in the above thread for an extra source, given that swarm collectors are fairly scarce and may not always be available. Also, these are the two that tend to come up first in Google searches. Between them they seem to cover most of the options (or if not, they should do!). Do we need another list?

PS - :rolleyes:got to go with Ellem when it comes to pink!!!

In order to send you a mail you need to use Outlook, which I don't use (and don't want to use)
What is the mail address so I can mail you direct?

In order to send you a mail you need to use Outlook, which I don't use (and don't want to use)
What is the mail address so I can mail you direct?
[email protected]
Name, location (town,county), postcode, phone nos, special info please.

I think you can tell Windoze to use whatever emailer you use as default and stop them from forcing Outlook on you - however I'm not sure how:)

I think you can tell Windoze to use whatever emailer you use as default and stop them from forcing Outlook on you - however I'm not sure how:)

As with all things there are different ways.

Control Panel, Programs [sic], change default programs lets you select a different mailer. Thunderbird would work, if you fancy a download or windows mail. Older versions of Windows have Outlook Express. Of course, if you use hotmail/gmail it's a whole new ballgame to make it work with them.

You can also change settings via the options in IE and Opera. I don't know about Chrome or Firefox because I don't use either. Nor do I know about Safari, as nobody in their right mind uses it.

..... so simply bringing up a list for the relevant county seems a bit quicker than shifting an online map around (esp. as you have to zoom in to separate overlapping entries).

Hi,

Are you using the map correctly? Put your postcode in and it should show you the nearest person clearly. You may have to zoom out if they are in an area with very few people. It sounds to me as though you may be zooming in from the first map page rather than using the search box as the instructions say? ....

It certainly ought to be far better than text list...

Last edited:
It certainly ought to be far better than text list...

I dunno! Surely its easier to land on a page, click your county and be presented with a selection of people within that county that collect bees? Or maybe i am over complicating things :D

I collect swarms all over north hampshire, so why should a swarm owner have to select their nearest swarm collector? As far as they are concerned they want shot of the problem (cause to most people they are a real problem) as quickly as possible, most really dont care where the person that collects them, lives.

P.S my swarm collectors list is located here > UK Honey bee swarm collectors list

quickly as possible, most really dont care where the person that collects them, lives.

[/URL]

Surely most people would instinctively choose the nearest person to them?
The problem with a list, as I see it, is that many people don't really have a good spatial awareness of where other places are in relation to them.
For example, I couldn't accurately tell you whether Llandysilio is nearer to me than Llangynog, but with a map it's easy.

Surely most people would instinctively choose the nearest person to them?
The problem with a list, as I see it, is that many people don't really have a good spatial awareness of where other places are in relation to them.
For example, I couldn't accurately tell you whether Llandysilio is nearer to me than Llangynog, but with a map it's easy.

I disagree. People phone me, "i have a large swarm of wasps hanging from my tree, when can you get here"

They never ask me where i live, they just want to know a time that i can be there to rid them of the pesky swarm of wasps.

on the mail programme thing - my understanding is that he's used the standard "mailto:" link in his code - in other words, it's a tiny bit of code that all browsers use so that when you click on the email address, it fires up the default mail programme ready for use (the idea being that it saves you time), so the answer is very simple, if you don't want your email programme to run, don't click on the email address, but instead highlight it and "copy" to the clipboard, then you can "paste" it into anywhere you like (the dreaded Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo and other browser based online mail thingummyjigglers)
I run Linux exclusively, and a similar link will fire up Thunderbird if I click on it...... and it should start up your default mailer whatever operating system, browser or mail programme you use (it's standard "internet code")...:cool:

I disagree. People phone me, "i have a large swarm of wasps hanging from my tree, when can you get here"

They never ask me where i live, they just want to know a time that i can be there to rid them of the pesky swarm of wasps.

:iagree:

Not wishing to labour the point, but if I go to your list merylvingien, I get one option for the whole of Powys & Shropshire - and it's a mobile number so I have no idea where she will be coming from. It takes about 3 hours to get from one end of Powys to the other.
With Steve's map I have a load of instant options, all laid out clearly, all within about 15 miles of me.
Personally I prefer that, but others may have a different preference.

Last edited:
How many are ther on your map now Steve - it is looking like quite a good coverage!

Jc

Not wishing to labour the point, but if I go to your list merylvingien, I get one option for the whole of Powys & Shropshire - and it's a mobile number so I have no idea where she will be coming from. It takes about 3 hours to get from one end of Powys to the other.
With Steve's map I have a load of instant options, all laid out clearly, all within about 15 miles of me.
Personally I prefer that, but others may have a different preference.

The list is still growing, day by day more and more people join, so hopefully more people will cover these areas.

It takes you 3 hours to get from one end of Powys to the other? I suggest you get yourself into the 21st century and buy yourself an automobile. :D

How many are ther on your map now Steve - it is looking like quite a good coverage!

Jc

Hi John,
Actually only 966, about 30 new people have joined from this forum. However, I have had a lot of replies where people have supplied their postcodes whereas before I had them grouped under "Birmingham" or whatever. The postcodes split them out and give each individual his or her own marker so the coverage looks better and the number of markers increases.

Steve

It takes you 3 hours to get from one end of Powys to the other? I suggest you get yourself into the 21st century and buy yourself an automobile. :D

I've just used 21st century google maps- it reckons it's 2hrs 47mins from the Brecon Beacons National Park to Llangynog. I'd say that's pretty close to 3 hours wouldn't you?

I don't have any stats but the answer is very few at the moment. I want to get the data on the map as complete and accurate as possible before looking at making it public. Clearly it only really performs its function when the people who find swarms - the general public, can find it.

Latest posts

Back