Storm eunice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. I can imagine if you were actually caught up in it!
I remember sneaking into Bushy Park where the trees were down like ninepins. I think there was a roaring trade in little things made from fallen oaks.
I have a book somewhere with pictures taken from the Royal Parks
Went to Richmond Park yesterday with the intention of cycling but it was still closed yesterday. About 40 trees have come down.

No, I went to Warwick. Moved to Newbury for my first job after I graduated.

James
Oh! My father was there then liaising with the university and industry to get people jobs.
Ken Martin. I know ....... It is a big university but ...... A small world too!

Spent Friday going from apiary to apiary. After intial blast had hives down of 2 sites. Put them upright and added concrete blocks to 2 tall NUCS. Early afternoon received a call from a farmer landlord he and a young worker had righted and reassembled a hive. 3pm I was out again. Hives had been toppled in 4 locations. My bee buddy brought along her grandson, a strong young man and we righted hives and loaded some with concrete blocks. We finished just as it was getting dark. Trees in the lane had fallen and my bee buddy found her car trapped between two fallen trees during one visit. The travellers on the local site were most helful and moved one tree. Ben, a farmer friend, moved the fallen trees with his loader to re-open the lane yesterday. In one apiary in the woods a 40ft horse chestnut tree missed the hive area by about 5 yards. Been round to check this morning and all seems OK. I have spied a missing roof. It is on the other bank of the stream which unforunately is in full spate at present. I will take a long pole and fish it across tomorrow.

View attachment 30470
The most sheltered spot in the garden apiary! Stand and 3 hives turned over. Suited up at 10pm. Hopefully Queens survived. Off to check out apiaries this morning. Fingers crossed.
sorry to see use wide blocks or cut bat straps fixed to hive legs like ground spikes. hope queen ok may be worth putting recues in hive set up in greenhouse only lightly warmed if you have one still standing.

Sat in workshop watching stuff flying around outside. Seems this is a new storm, but who'd have known. I certainly hadn't realised that the last one had finished.

Oh! My father was there then liaising with the university and industry to get people jobs.
Ken Martin. I know ....... It is a big university but ...... A small world too!

The name rings a bell, but not specifically to do with university. I may have heard my dad mention it. I'll ask him.

James

Sat in workshop watching stuff flying around outside. Seems this is a new storm, but who'd have known. I certainly hadn't realised that the last one had finished.

Storm Frustration, I think this one is. I've had enough now. There are things I want to be doing outside, but no chance the way things are. Add the wind to the mud caused by the rain and it's barely possible to stand up.

James

Picking up again with us not been good all day but things are starting to fly once more

Quite. Someone's turned up the volume here since about 2pm. I was thinking about going outside just to get something, anything, done, but no chance now. I feel like a caged hamster.

James

It arrived with us about an hour or two ago and the wind really picked up after the rain so there's no chance of getting my fences back up... the garden is now like the Somme and the branches and stuff I raked up earlier is rapidly being replaced with more debris ... getting the feeling I was rather wasting my time outside so came in and did some decorating - more to look busy than to actually achieve much but I think 'er indoors has cottoned on so I'm now doing calculations for wall and floor tiles and that might appease the situation ...

just went up to give the chickens their supper (they were all at the gate waiting for it) their run is more like a swimming pool now and the apiary is once more a pond.
Not nice out there

Dudley, Eunice and now Franklin is hammering on the door. Looking forward to a day or two without wind , rain or snow. 🌧🌨🌪

Dudley, Eunice and now Franklin is hammering on the door. Looking forward to a day or two without wind , rain or snow. 🌧🌨🌪
just went out to retrieve an empty syrup container that flew from the back and ended up across the road (it never moved during Eunice) and noticed the two big conifers next door are bending over a lot more than they were on Friday

Latest posts

Back