Storm eunice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite. Someone's turned up the volume here since about 2pm. I was thinking about going outside just to get something, anything, done, but no chance now. I feel like a caged hamster.

James
The green planet is on or watch catch up from the Olympics.

just went out to retrieve an empty syrup container that flew from the back and ended up across the road (it never moved during Eunice) and noticed the two big conifers next door are bending over a lot more than they were on Friday
watch out for shallow rooted conifers - the ground will be saturated and so much wind will have loosened their grip on the soil.

just went out to retrieve an empty syrup container that flew from the back and ended up across the road (it never moved during Eunice) and noticed the two big conifers next door are bending over a lot more than they were on Friday
I think the wind where we are has a bit more Westerly than Southing in it and we are feeling it here ... blowing quite hard now.

watch out for shallow rooted conifers - the ground will be saturated and so much wind will have loosened their grip on the soil.
It's just three Leylandii types that my neighbour planted years ago (God knows why!) they're at the far side of the garden, not on my boundary and Teg did intimate should be cut down years ago and fell onto my land as then there was nothing there to damage, there are two cottages next door, both were owned by Tegwyn but the back garden of the furthest one actually bounded on mine, he sold that one but he hoped he could persuade Monica (who was a friend anyway) to let us fell them, but then he fell ill and subsequently died. the trees are on a high bank and wouldn't damage anything if they fell to the East, in fact, one snapped during storm Dennis in 2020. Monica would be happy to fell them now but they are 40 feet tall and would have to be done professionally and she can't afford to do it.

I think the wind where we are has a bit more Westerly than Southing in it and we are feeling it here ... blowing quite hard now.
yes, it's a sharp Westerly here as well, almost blowing straight up the valley

Revolting here too. The rain seems more destructive than the wind. The dog is sulking, and I’m sure holds me personally responsible for it!

yes, it's a sharp Westerly here as well, almost blowing straight up the valley
It makes quite a difference here as the Isle of Wight takes the brunt off the South Westerlies ... once they veer West they come straight up the Solent and funnel round Portsdown Hill behind us ... we could be in for an interesting night.

Just had a typhoon hit us. I have never seen such strong gusts since the big storm. It has just lifted the rear end one of my large greenhouses including the base of concrete blocks it is bolted to and put it down again six inches to the right! The whole thing as now way off square! It dropped two complete panes of glass out without breaking them! I have tried to board it up and tie it to a wooden post but I don't reckon there will be much left by morning! Oh well! Watch this space!

Now it's dark the wind speed seems to have dropped significantly though it's still very gusty. Looks like it's shifting a little to the north of westerly too. It's been pretty much spot on westerly since before midnight (the average direction for today is 274° apparently).

Why does the weather always seem to improve when it gets dark? I swear that sometimes the Sun even comes out when it's dark.

James

Mine haven’t moved off their perches all day.
mine are out regardless of weather, in fact this morning is the only time I've seen them hiding from the weather since Thursday, they're a bunch of nutters the lot of them always soaking wet and caked in mud in bad weather and of course then, they bring it all inside so it's impossible to keep the shed clean!

I noticed our upvc front door had a hell of a gale coming through the seals at the hinge side so in the lull between storms I fitted shims between the door inner face and hinges. That's tightened the seal effectively so it's draught free tonight.☺️

Latest posts

Back