Storm eunice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter showed me some video clips from the net that are really frightening. There's one where an entire greenhouse (ok, a small one, but a greenhouse nonetheless) is lifted in one piece right into the air and over several gardens. Not the best idea not to have it fixed down in the first place, but I dread to think how much damage a flying greenhouse can do. There's another of outdoor furniture flying past the windows of a restaurant on the south coast. The top of the steeple falling off the church in Wells is pretty horrifying too.

There does seem to a a fair bit of fake stuff about too though.

James

Went to Hull this morning in a stiff breeze. Did my bit of shopping and headed towards my granddaughters school to collect her at chucking out time. During the time I was in Hull the radio kept on about the planned closure to all traffic of the Humber Bridge. The bridge closure caused a ripple effect in all the roads around the area, not least was major impediment of the school buses so every parent with transport seemed to have decided to collect their offspring too and the school was gridlocked. We eventually got free and took the back roads home as the wind was reaching a peak. Several routes have suffered blockage with fallen trees but fortunately we are unscathed and the wind is abating now. All hives intact 👍
Update - main road through village of South Cave road blocked by a fallen tree yesterday evening. Fortunately (for me) not a route of significant importance.IMG-20220218-WA0004.jpg

View attachment 30470
The most sheltered spot in the garden apiary! Stand and 3 hives turned over. Suited up at 10pm. Hopefully Queens survived. Off to check out apiaries this morning. Fingers crossed.
Very sorry for you, hope things work out well. As long as the queen is unscathed ..................................Good luck, lets hope for a better spring.🌸

View attachment 30470
The most sheltered spot in the garden apiary! Stand and 3 hives turned over. Suited up at 10pm. Hopefully Queens survived. Off to check out apiaries this morning. Fingers crossed.

Nightmare, sorry to see that. But in future, those narrow breeze blocks stood on their sides ..... I wouldn't put a hive on those, certainly not a whole row of hives. Just my opinion.

I don't think we're through the woods yet :( It's really getting quite windy here again. My weather station is already showing wind speed figures higher than anything we had yesterday afternoon, though I have an hour or so either side of noon missing because of the power failure.

James

Nightmare, sorry to see that. But in future, those narrow breeze blocks stood on their sides ..... I wouldn't put a hive on those, certainly not a whole row of hives. Just my opinion.

I use either the 6" wide ones, or the hollow 9" wide ones. They seem to be much more stable, but of course they're also much heavier.

James

Just for the record I drive a metal hooped peg a couple of feet into the ground each side of my hives and then strap them to those. It means neither the stand or the hive can topple over.

Roofs are already blowing off the caravans at our site near Hythe. Apparently it's really scary down there, even if you're in a solid brick house.
A local house has just had its roof ripped off, literally. So a few upturned hives (and there have been some at the workshop, so will be more further afield) seem insignificant by comparison.
The most awkward and annoying thing that's happened that I've only just discovered is that a tile has blown off the roof. From right up near the ridge, too.
Thatch seems to be remarkably resilient to high winds - our dwelling is said to date from 1450. Not like our local hospital (Bury St Edmunds) built in 1980s with 30-year life expectancy (disgraceful), now ceilings propped up with Acros and due to be one of Matt Hancock's 40 new hospitals (coincidence of course, he is MP for West Suffolk!).

Attachments

• IMG_0808.jpeg
    IMG_0808.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
This is just over the road! Incredibly strong gusts yesterday but hives all survived despite several fence panels toppling all around them (have a nice new garden extension now). Our efforts to tie down everything outside seem to have paid off and lucky to just have one greenhouse door blown in and one pane slipped but didn’t break. Phew.
View attachment IMG_2640.MOV

had a call last night as it was getting dark to let me know I had a hive over. Turned out to be a dead out I'd closed up, but also found an upside down poly nuc, with lid slightly ajar even though strapped. needed a suit as bees were very grumpy. Got soaked doing the rounds this morning. Hill top apiary had 2 poly nucs with lids shifted partly off, even though both strapped. both still alive but wet. closed up with strap and brick added. will check in a few days.

Fair number of branches and trees down here, but nothing like 1987 when the leaves on the trees caused so many to fall. After the initial clear up then, I spent half a day a week for 6 months with a chain saw clearing up the mess from that at the farm I worked weekends at. Most of the trees were left where they fell and only those that blocked access, fences and footpaths were fully cleared. at the peak of the storm locally, at about 3am, farmer and his wife were woken by the noise of the cows as three big oaks went through the cattle sheds. god knows how, but none of the cattle were injured. no power for about a week, so we had to use a tractor on a generator for the dairy. I think we ended up ditching some milk as tankers couldn't collect

in the sunken country lanes, there were places where the tress had fallen from one bank to the other and the only way through was to drive under the trunks as they rested above the road. up in the Surrey hills there were roads that were blocked fro months, and the parts that caught the full force of the winds are still visible

Patio furniture moved a few inches in the worst of it yesterday but not heard much of any damage locally, unfortunately our electricity supply comes over the mountain from the Swansea side, everyone lost their power at 1300 hrs yesterday and our (the last) came back 1600 today.
was mildly concerned about the nucs at the home apiary but none of them budged an inch lthough I was surrpised that some of the surrounding trees didn't cop it. That little corner of the field always seems like a calm haven, in fact, i've only ever strapped down nucs, and even they weren't strapped down during Dennis

had a call last night as it was getting dark to let me know I had a hive over. Turned out to be a dead out I'd closed up, but also found an upside down poly nuc, with lid slightly ajar even though strapped. needed a suit as bees were very grumpy. Got soaked doing the rounds this morning. Hill top apiary had 2 poly nucs with lids shifted partly off, even though both strapped. both still alive but wet. closed up with strap and brick added. will check in a few days.

Fair number of branches and trees down here, but nothing like 1987 when the leaves on the trees caused so many to fall. After the initial clear up then, I spent half a day a week for 6 months with a chain saw clearing up the mess from that at the farm I worked weekends at. Most of the trees were left where they fell and only those that blocked access, fences and footpaths were fully cleared. at the peak of the storm locally, at about 3am, farmer and his wife were woken by the noise of the cows as three big oaks went through the cattle sheds. god knows how, but none of the cattle were injured. no power for about a week, so we had to use a tractor on a generator for the dairy. I think we ended up ditching some milk as tankers couldn't collect

in the sunken country lanes, there were places where the tress had fallen from one bank to the other and the only way through was to drive under the trunks as they rested above the road. up in the Surrey hills there were roads that were blocked fro months, and the parts that caught the full force of the winds are still visible
I remember it well..... no power for 10 days and no water for 3 as they couldn't pump without the power at the reservoir. Couldn't get out of the village for 2 days as trees down in all directions.
You are right about the leaves but I also think trees are better managed nowadays, highways and rail track spot dodgy trees earlier.

Lost power again today at just after 10:00, coming back on at 5:00pm
Hoping it doesn’t go off a third time.

This is just over the road! Incredibly strong gusts yesterday but hives all survived despite several fence panels toppling all around them (have a nice new garden extension now). Our efforts to tie down everything outside seem to have paid off and lucky to just have one greenhouse door blown in and one pane slipped but didn’t break. Phew.
View attachment 30472
What a buetifull place to live, I very rarely get to the coast but If I was to live anywhere else it would be next to water.
Like up here I bet you always have a breeze.

What a buetifull place to live, I very rarely get to the coast but If I was to live anywhere else it would be next to water.
Like up here I bet you always have a breeze.
We do! We are right next to the Witterings which in old English apparently means ‘windy’

Latest posts

Back