Storm eunice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Herefordshire/titterstone clee hill/ Worcestershir
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Went out yesterday evening after work in the dark to add more straps and stones to the hives, hopefully I don't find my poly nuc doubles blown over and spread out over the hill, I've just been out and it looks like I'm going to need a new tunnel cover in the garden as it's ripped in places, hopefully the trampoline doesn't end up in the neighbours garden again, Infact a few years ago it went over the top of the tunnel and ended up ontop of the neighbours extension roof.
How are you fairing in different parts of the country.
Stay safe folks.
Edit : its also snowing heavily up on the Clee.

Last edited:
Can you just put the trampoline upside down for bad weather or does it have one of those cage things?

Windy here, but mild. Away next week and was in a hurry today so wound up on the fondant round today, don't think any will starve but don't want to risk it. Bees were in good spirits, a few landed on me in the process but no hint of aggression. I'm assuming the wind blew away any alarm pheromones. :unsure:

Driving cautiously on way back worrying about branches coming down- a few small bits on the country lanes but the big ones were all by (or on) the A325 in Farnborough. Wonder if that says anything...

The sheep field has decided it's mud season so spring is coming!

Roofs are already blowing off the caravans at our site near Hythe. Apparently it's really scary down there, even if you're in a solid brick house.
At home here we seem to be getting of lightly so far... although I did go through the garden stowing everything I could yesterday.

Can you just put the trampoline upside down for bad weather or does it have one of those cage things?

Windy here, but mild. Away next week and was in a hurry today so wound up on the fondant round today, don't think any will starve but don't want to risk it. Bees were in good spirits, a few landed on me in the process but no hint of aggression. I'm assuming the wind blew away any alarm pheromones. :unsure:

Driving cautiously on way back worrying about branches coming down- a few small bits on the country lanes but the big ones were all by (or on) the A325 in Farnborough. Wonder if that says anything...

The sheep field has decided it's mud season so spring is coming!
Trampoline is ankered to the ground with pins which are concreted in, I've taken the cage down but it's also ripped, I'll be repairing it again :rolleyes:
Drive safe I noticed the roads were quite this morning going to work

Roofs are already blowing off the caravans at our site near Hythe. Apparently it's really scary down there, even if you're in a solid brick house.
At home here we seem to be getting of lightly so far... although I did go through the garden stowing everything I could yesterday.
Seems like the coasts and up north are being hit worse so far.

Seems like the coasts and up north are being hit worse so far.
A local house has just had its roof ripped off, literally. So a few upturned hives (and there have been some at the workshop, so will be more further afield) seem insignificant by comparison.

Last edited:
Hives over de

A local house has just had its roof ripped off, literally. So a few upturned hives (and there have been some at the workshop, so will be more further afield) seem insignificant by comparison.

Im not surprised rolande you are right on the edge of it down there.
Hopefully there isn't to much more damage done a few upturned hives can be sorted quickly a roof on a house well that's another matter.

We've been mostly ok, here on the very edge of the "red" warning area.

Had to retrieve a few bits and pieces from around the garden, lift a chicken house roof back on and weight down a section of the workshop roof that has been flapping about and will need replacing.

The most awkward and annoying thing that's happened that I've only just discovered is that a tile has blown off the roof. From right up near the ridge, too. Fortunately the tile fell into a hazel tree and dropped to the ground unbroken, as they're completely impossible to buy in the correct profile any more. Quite how I get it back in place again I'm not sure. Could be that scaffolding and a roof ladder are required, though as the roofing felt is almost non-existent I may be able to slip it back into place from underneath. Still, that's a puzzle for when the wind calms down and hopefully before it rains.

Nothing really dramatic though. Having the roof sucked off your house must be really distressing. Even more so if you're in it at the time :(

James

About fifteen years ago the 999 service in Leeds was switched off and redirected to the southeast because they were expecting heavy rain and flooding down there. I wonder if they've done it again this time. I hope I don't need to find out.

Been to pick my daughter up from school. There are so many trees down. Quite literally every few hundred yards for several miles along the roadside and huge amounts of broken twigs and branches littering the road surface.

I passed two places where trees had already been cleared from the road, but we had to go on a diversion into the middle of nowhere to get through one village where a very large tree was still being removed and the road was closed into another that they'd not got around to yet.

In town (Taunton) there were garden fences and walls down all over the place and some of the traffic lights weren't operational either, though I've no idea if that is weather-related or not.

James

Been to pick my daughter up from school. There are so many trees down. Quite literally every few hundred yards for several miles along the roadside and huge amounts of broken twigs and branches littering the road surface.

I passed two places where trees had already been cleared from the road, but we had to go on a diversion into the middle of nowhere to get through one village where a very large tree was still being removed and the road was closed into another that they'd not got around to yet.

In town (Taunton) there were garden fences and walls down all over the place and some of the traffic lights weren't operational either, though I've no idea if that is weather-related or not.

James
Not been further than Stoke St Gregory! Lost half a shed and a metal swing seat took off and took half an apple tree with it, ended up in the pond. Unfortunately I tried to dismantle it and a gust of wind caught me.....yep! I ended up in the pond too! My wife is still laughing! Need to go over the Severn bridge tomorrow so hope it has reopened!

Not been further than Stoke St Gregory! Lost half a shed and a metal swing seat took off and took half an apple tree with it, ended up in the pond. Unfortunately I tried to dismantle it and a gust of wind caught me.....yep! I ended up in the pond too! My wife is still laughing! Need to go over the Severn bridge tomorrow so hope it has reopened!
Blimey I hope your OK Eric :giggle:

Two hive down here due to sideways wind and soft ground. Easily uprighted, readjusted roof/CB on poly one which became adrift sideways . Bees did not appreciate my efforts and topped up my resistance to bee venom several times :devilish:

Two hive down here due to sideways wind and soft ground. Easily uprighted, readjusted roof/CB on poly one which became adrift sideways . Bees did not appreciate my efforts and topped up my resistance to bee venom several times :devilish:
I had the problem with three of my hives that were toppled over, the bees never seem to appreciate that you are trying to help them by rebuilding their hives and closing gaps. Received several uncalled for stings! 😩

Poly tunnel at work shredded 😢.

Oh no! I think that's beyond the ability of repair tape to fix :( Looks like it might have failed along the line of one of the original folds in the polythene? I think my first cover did that. Worth saving the polythene when you take it off though. I got several uses out of mine and still have some left.

James

Went out yesterday evening after work in the dark to add more straps and stones to the hives, hopefully I don't find my poly nuc doubles blown over and spread out over the hill, I've just been out and it looks like I'm going to need a new tunnel cover in the garden as it's ripped in places, hopefully the trampoline doesn't end up in the neighbours garden again, Infact a few years ago it went over the top of the tunnel and ended up ontop of the neighbours extension roof.
How are you fairing in different parts of the country.
Stay safe folks.
Edit : its also snowing heavily up on the Clee.
Went to Hull this morning in a stiff breeze. Did my bit of shopping and headed towards my granddaughters school to collect her at chucking out time. During the time I was in Hull the radio kept on about the planned closure to all traffic of the Humber Bridge. The bridge closure caused a ripple effect in all the roads around the area, not least was major impediment of the school buses so every parent with transport seemed to have decided to collect their offspring too and the school was gridlocked. We eventually got free and took the back roads home as the wind was reaching a peak. Several routes have suffered blockage with fallen trees but fortunately we are unscathed and the wind is abating now. All hives intact 👍

Heavens..I think I got off lightly here. One hefty branch of a rotten tree down in neighbours field. Already sawn up.

Pretty dreadful journey up from Fareham to near Haywards heath at the height of the winds... trees down and lots of debris plus a 7 mile diversion round Cowfold... double the usual time but another family member was on the road for 10 hours coming from Plymouth so I can't really complain. Several fences down in the garden at home and som branches but trees stayed upright and bees appear to be OK... apiary is very sheltered. Wormery roof had blown off but son who is dog sitting said he's put it back on with two bricks.... got off fairly lightly by the sounds of it.

Latest posts

Back