Storm eunice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember 1987 well - lived near Hastings then. Daughter phoned from Bristol about 8am wondering if we were all right. Asked if she thought/hoped we ought not to be OK. Big hotel in Hasting had its chimney toppled down a shaft in the middle of it top to bottom. Never heard a thing - Everest double glazing - so went back to bed!! What else?

Remember 1987 well
So do I - got absolutely drenched just walking to meet my lift to work, Stepfather's greenhouse ended up in his cousin's garden next door, grandfather's shed roof did the same trick just up the road, then a railway bridge collapsed into the Towy - with the train on it.

I checked the Sandwell hives today and they were fine. I have an awning set up in my garden, so I can work out there in the rain. I re-anchored it before the storm hit and it survived! I go to the allotment bees tomorrow and the farm bees on Monday to check for damage. As the more exposed Sandwell bees survived, I have high expectations for the others :)

Same here.
Slept through it
You were lucky! I was on night shift in the Police. It started with tropical lightening in the distance and then went really warm, I was down to shirt sleeves. Then it hit. We had hundreds of calls, there were electric lines earthing out and flashing across the ground. The trees were falling everywhere stopping us getting to urgent calls. A colleague at the other end of the county was killed by a falling tree. I was terrified. I could go on but I reckon you get the message. I will never forget it but the silver lining was a I got enough wood to last me years!

Yes. I can imagine if you were actually caught up in it!
I remember sneaking into Bushy Park where the trees were down like ninepins. I think there was a roaring trade in little things made from fallen oaks.
I have a book somewhere with pictures taken from the Royal Parks

Yes. I can imagine if you were actually caught up in it!
I remember sneaking into Bushy Park where the trees were down like ninepins. I think there was a roaring trade in little things made from fallen oaks.
I have a book somewhere with pictures taken from the Royal Parks
It was at our last house ... I woke up about 3.00am and went to see what all the noise was ... a tree from next doors garden had come down across our back garden, all the fences were down, the wind was blowing to the point where I could barely stand. In th aftermath the following morning I could not get to my office five miles away as there were more trees and branches and debris across the roads ... the whole of the South Coast was pretty much at a standstill ... a lot of people slept through it and woke up in absolute disbelief at what had happened.

I'd have been at university in October 1987 and have no recollection of the actual event that I associate with that time. I do remember site visits with my first employer (in Newbury) where we drove past huge swathes of land still littered with fallen trees a couple of years later.

James

Oh dear. I've just checked the weather forecast and it appears that we have yellow wind forecasts for tomorrow and Monday.

Could be worse, I guess. At least it's not a yellow rain forecast.

James

1987: a woman phoned the BBC to enquire about the expected hurricane she had heard rumours of. Michael Fish, the revered weatherman, told her on that evening's TV forecast not to worry, it was merely going to be windy. Next day a huge number of specimen trees at Kew Gardens had been blown down. He never lived it down. The TV clip is often repeated.

I'd have been at university in October 1987 and have no recollection of the actual event that I associate with that time. I do remember site visits with my first employer (in Newbury) where we drove past huge swathes of land still littered with fallen trees a couple of years later.

James

Likewise at uni. Remember dodging sheets of flying corrugated iron.

A line on the wall in Carmarthen exchange shows the level that flood waters got to in 1987, I spent ages working the surrounding areas after that storm.

1987 - next door’s oak came down and wrapped itself around the house, blocking the front door, the garage door and the lounge windows. It also blocked the side access, so we were unable to leave the house, other than camp out in a small back garden. The fire service attended really quickly and with several chain saws on the go, cleared the debris. The house was only very slightly damaged. My son, who was 2 years old loved it, especially the firemen knocking around the place!

[
1987: a woman phoned the BBC to enquire about the expected hurricane she had heard rumours of. Michael Fish, the revered weatherman, told her on that evening's TV forecast not to worry, it was merely going to be windy. Next day a huge number of specimen trees at Kew Gardens had been blown down. He never lived it down. The TV clip is often repeated.

Doris from Melton - hopefully the following link will work, guaranteed to put a smile on your face. Poor old biscuit :eek:

James
Not at Reading were you?

Latest posts

Back