Storm eunice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a typhoon hit us. I have never seen such strong gusts since the big storm. It has just lifted the rear end one of my large greenhouses including the base of concrete blocks it is bolted to and put it down again six inches to the right! The whole thing as now way off square! It dropped two complete panes of glass out without breaking them! I have tried to board it up and tie it to a wooden post but I don't reckon there will be much left by morning! Oh well! Watch this space!
Well ... it's got to the Costa del Fareham now - big time ... it feels worse than the last lot - rain coming down like a monsoon at present but it's sideways ! Everything is rattling and the trees are actually shaking with the gusts ....

Well ... it's got to the Costa del Fareham now - big time ... it feels worse than the last lot - rain coming down like a monsoon at present but it's sideways ! Everything is rattling and the trees are actually shaking with the gusts ....
Hope you get out of it better than us. Lots of clearing up to do tomorrow! A bit quieter now

Having just had a stroke I am unable to check for damage,however the farmer where apiary is rang me this afternoon , telling me he had looked around my apiary and nothing was out of order and everything intact .
it was a relief, it never ceases to surprise me how kind people are !

I suspect a lot of trees will have been weakened and this latest bout is enough to finish them off.

More to come tomorrow by the looks of it, too. I've noticed a fair few large branches broken off but suspended in the trees. When they come down it could be nasty. My daughter noticed a huge conifer (perhaps 30m tall) in a local garden where the top had snapped but not broken all the way through. There's maybe 5-10m of the top of the tree hanging vertically waiting for something to make it fall. Fortunately it's out of everyone else's way.

Slightly more amusing, we saw several people today parked up in passing places stuffing loads of fallen timber into the backs of vans or flatbeds. Can't let all that firewood go to waste :D

James

Just lost power for a third time. Got the oil lamp going, torches and camping lights, plugged in the corded phone and the power came back on....it’s getting silly now!

Looking at the Met Office pressure chart, it seems we‘re in for very high winds (isobars very close together) with two cold fronts and a trough of low pressure to sweep from West to East through the night. Sleep well🤪

Just lost power for a third time. Got the oil lamp going, torches and camping lights, plugged in the corded phone and the power came back on....it’s getting silly now!

That seems particularly unfortunate.

A friend of my daughter and his family have been living out of their horse lorry for the last couple of days because they lost power on Friday and only got it back this afternoon. The lorry at least had working cooking facilities and a moderate supply of hot water.

James

Looking at the Met Office pressure chart, it seems we‘re in for very high winds (isobars very close together) with two cold fronts and a trough of low pressure to sweep from West to East through the night. Sleep well🤪

It certainly looks to be somewhat bracing for the next eighteen hours or so here. On the positive side the rain is forecast to tail off in the small hours. I think I can live with the wind a little more easily if it isn't accompanied by horizontal rain. Typically however I now have a load of work to do for the early part of next week, so I can't spend the time getting useful stuff done which is particularly irritating after a weekend stuck indoors. (Well, ok, earning money to pay the mortgage is technically useful; it just doesn't feel that way.)

James

More to come tomorrow by the looks of it, too. I've noticed a fair few large branches broken off but suspended in the trees. When they come down it could be nasty. My daughter noticed a huge conifer (perhaps 30m tall) in a local garden where the top had snapped but not broken all the way through. There's maybe 5-10m of the top of the tree hanging vertically waiting for something to make it fall. Fortunately it's out of everyone else's way.

Slightly more amusing, we saw several people today parked up in passing places stuffing loads of fallen timber into the backs of vans or flatbeds. Can't let all that firewood go to waste :D

James
He's been dead for many years now but we had one old boy who scoured the area for firewood. Anywhere a tree or large branch came down within about five miles old Ted would turn up with his saw and barrow. A few days later everything was tidied up and his garden was stacked up with logs. He had a proper job as well on the council soup tanker before WCs were in common use.

Can't rely on landline phones round here now. Local street distribution boxes require power. Until about ten years ago lines were powered from 50 volt exchange batteries, sometimes over many miles of cable. The battery banks in the Stonebow exchange in York were massive and could be relied on for hours of reserve in conjunction with diesel generators.

He's been dead for many years now but we had one old boy who scoured the area for firewood. Anywhere a tree or large branch came down within about five miles old Ted would turn up with his saw and barrow. A few days later everything was tidied up and his garden was stacked up with logs. He had a proper job as well on the council soup tanker before WCs were in common use.
One of my neighbours live in an old cob cottage and they do just that.Their only heating was an old Rayburn and a wood burning stove. Last year they were persuaded that they could have a free air source heat pump. They had some insulation done but considering the depth of the walls and the general shape of the cottage this was only partial. They still have to run the Rayburn and the log burner but now have a substantial electricity bill

Last night seemed a lot more gusty than Eunice. We had two massive backdrafts that blew out the woodburner and then couldn’t keep it properly alight as each gust seemed to come straight down the chimney and blow black smoke into the room. The whole house smells like we had an indoor bbq yesterday despite throwing all the windows open last night. Which was fun with the rain and gales.
Might need to fit some kind of thingamyjig to the top of the chimney to stop that happening again…..
:hairpull:

Latest posts

Back