Paynes poly base being devoured

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodwood

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Well I have had the occasional badger attack but found something more insidious and worrying today.
Cleaning up a couple of deadouts I removed the mesh to give them a good spring clean. The side of one base was particularly bad, but both had been attacked by larvae of some kind. Almost looks like Shipworm - I know its been a wet winter and I am on an estuary, but whatever it is seems to love compacted polystyrene.
anyone else have this problem?
At this rate these bases will only last another season or so...

Greater wax moth larvae.

A few years ago when these hives / nucs were first introduced here, damage of that type was widespread and caused consternation - the boxes were not especially cheap to buy here! Painting seems to inhibit further attacks and the damage can be made good with plastic wood or external wood filler. Paint also prevents wasps tunnelling through to the feeder in the nucs..

I found this in the shed so I am painting it now.
Good job it's only a bait hive

Attachments

• IMG_1773.JPG
    IMG_1773.JPG
    559.2 KB · Views: 112
Erichalfbee.

May I ask what type of paint (brown) was on the boxes? Interestingly it was found here that dulux weathershield prevented wasps boring into the feeder, but other paints did not. It is safe to assume that masonry paints by other manufacturers would also be effective.

I found this in the shed so I am painting it now.
Good job it's only a bait hive

Last winter I had a mouse nibble away at the corners of a new Paynes poly floor which had not been used and was in the garage ... had used the polystyrene as a nest material in a corner behind some timber I had stored... nearly 6' away .. little beggar must have been at it for days !. Repaired fine with some P38 car body filler and a coat of paint.

Mice....little beggars.
Homebase Weathercoat smooth.
My fault....it was on the floor of the field shelter, not even a shed really.
Sorry for hijacking your thread Goodwood.

no probs Eric- 3 paynes bases now have a thick coat of weather shield under the mesh now too. Another 20 odd to do...

Agree with Hm I have had this happen to Me this winter with a paynes feeder sitting in my shed next to some old frames which some wax moth larvae hatched on the buggers dug right through it.

I have just painted my brand new Paynes poly hive with some weather shield. Seems I am going to have to store parts in a mouse proof zone!

Latest posts

Back