All honey and very little eggs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he means that the wooden one is a spare (empty equipment) that he wants to expand onto. I don't think this hive is occupied

Yes ... think you may be right ... bit of ambiguity though .. " I have a wooden national hive which has one brood and one super. I was thinking of splitting this next year and hoping they rear their own queen to save me purchasing a nuc of bees. "

i use to have 5-8 boxes in hives in autumn, but then I reduce them before feeding.

Perhaps you should take advice from this thread... and leave them on all winter to help prevent swarming next year.:rolleyes:

The wooden hive is empty and I was hoping to split the poly hive next season to have two working hives. I'm looking to have 3 in total eventually.

I am wanting to use to one have to eventually split into 3.

I did see a local bee keeper club but this was their first year and didn't know a lot as well. I will be going back to them next season to find out when to do the checks, take honey etc.

I don't think Finmans bees swarm :icon_204-2:

Different climate, you know. My hives have no sex life.

I start swarm prevention in June. Next June. My hives never swarm at Christmas, and if they swarm, I let them go.

Hmmmm ... halfway through the swarm season over here by June in the Costa del Fareham !

Seems climatic geography is not one of your many expert fields!

Definition of expert...ex- as in has been and spurt=drip under pressure.
And no spilling isn't one of mine :)

The Buckies start swarming in early March here in the semi sub tropical great grey green mightily slimy Tamar river valley all set about with social Housing..... on the Devionian banks .. but of course the Native Black Cornish pure Amms do not swarm at all until June.. perhaps a memory from the time they were allowed to live happily in the frozen tundra of Finland?

Now that's climatic geography for you to put in yer pipe and smoke!!!

Mytten da

I had forest Carniolan blood in my hives. Last spring they started to swarm very early.

When I analyzed, what happened, did the colonies were too tight, I found that they started queen cell rearing, when first new bees of hive were emerging. There were very few bees there at that moment, when they started.

What was the question? .... They wanted babies!!!!!! Mother Nature called!!!!

What I did? ... I bought 15 queens from a professinal, who has 1500 hives. Best quality, I think. Some buckfasts too.
Local bees..... Sweep your *.*

Last edited:
The Buckies start swarming in early March here in the semi sub tropical great grey green mightily slimy Tamar river valley all set about with social Housing..... on the Devionian banks .. but of course the Native Black Cornish pure Amms do not swarm at all until June.. perhaps a memory from the time they were allowed to live happily in the frozen tundra of Finland?

Now that's climatic geography for you to put in yer pipe and smoke!!!

Mytten da

When mocking there, remember my best hives bring 400 lbs honey /hive.

Carry on.... Heh heh heh. Your tundra since last ice age. We had a sea in this place 5000 y ago.

I am able to to good yields with any bee strain what you bring to me. Inspite of huge swarming I got very good average yield. Skills you know...

Last edited:
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back