Part time work

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilvaughan18

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been asked to manage some hives for a local wedding venue. They would like to sell the honey etc. How much is the going rate for doing this in the UK?

Probably about £10 per hour.

What’s your experience? What are they expecting? Do they think they’ll cover your cost with honey from a few hives.
What happens when a swarm lands in the middle of a wedding?
Can you have bees on the site? You’re not going to travel inspect a few hives and charge £10!for the hour. Gardeners around here charging £20 an hour and minimum half day before onto the next job.

Probably about £10 per hour.
I have a few years experience. It is a huge site, I have chosen an area a safe distance from any commercial activity si that is not a worry. They will pay all costs. I have said that it may not make much if any money. It is only a few miles grom home so could just be a hobby job, I am not a commercial keeper, but am bbka qualified and registered on beebase etc. I think keeping it low will make it just a self funding project.

What happens when a swarm lands in the middle of a wedding?
Job bonus, a new twist on the chimney sweep idea. Could well take off.
You’re not going to travel inspect a few hives and charge £10!for the hour. Gardeners around here charging £20 an hour and minimum half day before onto the next job.
It's true, we add value to ourselves based on ability. Even so, many people do travel to do a part time job for not very much money in the grand scheme of things.

My original reply was based on available information which implied (the way I read it) that the venue were looking for an agricultural labourer to look after the employer's own hives. As such, I don't reckon I was a million miles off.

I have a few years experience. It is a huge site, I have chosen an area a safe distance from any commercial activity si that is not a worry. They will pay all costs. I have said that it may not make much if any money. It is only a few miles grom home so could just be a hobby job, I am not a commercial keeper, but am bbka qualified and registered on beebase etc. I think keeping it low will make it just a self funding project.
Neil is well placed to advise, I am less so but happy to too.

Significantly more than £10/hour. It's a wedding venue so will presumably want it to look nice and be done to a high standard which is likely to incur you cost and potentially involve them making awkward/inconvenient requests. If they're taking the honey you're providing two services, one is the beekeeping and the other is extracting and jarring. If bride and groom might want photo opportunities by the hives too this may influence what style and keeping of hives the venue wants, and you'll probably be needed on site for that to advise/provide suits (!) so perhaps build that into the fee structure.

I think you have to have passed the basic exam to have anything to do with beehives in public
I don't think there is anything in any UK legislation about it. And having any BBKA 'certificate' can hardly be considered a 'qualification'

It sounds like a nice idea....untill you get into the real nitty gritty of daily life.....once you add in insurance.... indemnity.... risk to reputation...etc...I can't see how it's worth it for either you or the venue. I've worked in the music side of entertainment for weddings/venues etc and the ideas they have are very nice in theory but when the reality kicks in there are issues.

Might it be better asking them to sponsor the hives on a yearly basis (covering the initial set up cost and some running costs) and then agree a price for honey on a jar basis....getting a rough idea about how much crop they need/want. This way rather than being employed by them you can treat them as an extension of what you are already doing (self employed I'm guessing)....the hives and bees all belong to you and if things don't work out after a year you can part ways. You wouldn't necessarily have to use their land/venue as an out apiary if you didn't want....you could extend your other apiary/s and still maintain flexibility.....the venue would also be able to say "our bees" as they are sponsoring the hives.
Just a thought??

It sounds like you could have a suitable site for an apiary there.
You may want to suggest putting your own hives there and selling the honey to them at a reasonable rate. I am sure they will add a suitable mark up on the price.
Honey for wedding favours goes a long way as you usually use very small jars.
That way you get to keep bees.
They get their supply of honey, and you have a regular customer.

If they do want their own hives then show them which ones you want them to get.

The wedding venues expectation of cost may be 4 or 5 X off what it will likely to be.

Back