Omlet Beehaus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys :)

Someone has sent me the link to the EBCA, which I will certainly look into.

I've also found the Bumblebee Conservation trust and I'll be putting some pots in my garden for the bumbles to use, I do love to see big fat fuzzy bumbles buzzing about :)

Bumble bee queens when looking for suitable nests in the spring tend to go for old mouse nests and use the scent of mouse urine to home in on them. So if you can get hold of some old pet mouse bedding to stuff in the pots then you might increase your chances of getting them occupied. I would avoid putting them in full sun. I rescued a nest of bumblebees and placed them in a box in full sun. Eventually i had to provide extra shade cause they were overheating.

Remembers back in the day we were gonna have a forum hive, with decisions for its care taken bty a consensus view of the forums members. Time for admin to get in touch with omlett for a free sample to road test the product.

On a separate note my main concern with the beehaus ( apart from it looking like it will stick out like a sore thumb) is that as far as i can see it can only take the four 5 frame supers with no way of adding more.

We have a member who is already sorting it ;)

Come on young man identify yourself as the new proud owner of a Beehaus:)

Hi

We had Paul from Omlet bring one up to the Black Horse Open Day and give a pitch/demo at the weekend, from accounts he did quite well. A lot better than some other long hive demos:willy_nilly:

Anyway I think there will be one going into John's shortly and, whilst they have given this plenty of thought and covered all the questions on the day well, you still will not get away from the normal disadvantages of a long hive. Plus the fact you can pick up a complete standard hive for under £100.

If we stock one before Winter I will tell you how it goes.

http://www.blackhorseapiaries.org.uk/about/about.htm

Regards Ian

Hi

No idea about sorting a link the bloke that did the site has taken up Bee Farming in NZ.(can't you tell by the 80s style photos) However I will make sure the next intake/classes find the sit:)e

Regards Ian

Last edited:
Now i saw the construction of omlet beehaus.
It is modification of long hive.
Problem is that it makes extra swarming.
Bees cannot handle vertical space.

Hive is small and you cannot use profilic queens.

Seems miserable to me.

Finman,

There is space for 22 frames(14x12) in the brood. Obviously all of these would not be used for brood but there does appear to be plenty of space for brood.

If the 1/2 supers (or National supers) are loaded over the brood nest (on the Dartington wooden version) and honey is stored at the back of the brood as well, there is space for a fair amount of honey. One problem is it is on two frame sizes.

If one wanted to, one could use it simply as a space-wasting 14x12 hive using only the front half (divided off) and going up the same as other normal vertical hives.

James hopefully will tell us how many high one might be able to stack the supers onto the plastic version (with a step ladder?). It would not quite look like a large cool box if as many supers were added as in the Dartington at:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_O_i1nSQ4oKE/RssdKX6DJmI/AAAAAAAAABo/93ZQrPtvukw/s1600-h/DSC08467s.jpg

The elastic roof holderonerers would be a little stretched with that many on. Legs might be compressed, too; we will have to wait and see!

I wonder how much all those extra 1/2 plastic supers might cost?

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
RAB is write about splitting the hive in two. I am not sure whether it was Jim or in the Omlet blurb, but I think you can insert the separation plate and have an entrance at both ends and effectively run 2 x 11 frame broods boxes - effectively like one of our old fuddy duddy double stands?

My first challenge is to adapt my BS national frames to 14 x 12 to drop in a hive ASAP.

This late on in the season my options to get going now in the beehaus are limited not being set up for 14 x 12. The start of the season a package from Uncle Mike would be my prefred option.

Any advice?

My first challenge is to adapt my BS national frames to 14 x 12 to drop in a hive ASAP.

This late on in the season my options to get going now in the beehaus are limited not being set up for 14 x 12. The start of the season a package from Uncle Mike would be my prefred option.

Any advice?

Why not use standard brood frames for this winter and then transfer them over in the spring?

Cos it takes 22 frames you can just use enough for this winter, and there will still be pleanty of space to expand onto 14x12 in spring.

Yours Roy

Hi Roy

Ignore me! I have been mixing up my metric and imperial measurments.

You are correct my current frames are still the same width as the intended ones for the beehaus, just not as deep (hence the name)

bsframedims.gif

bsedframedims.gif

I wonder what is the idea compared to poly langstroth. Is there any avantages.

My first hives 1962 were just like that omlethive but I burned them after 2 years usage.

The measure of brood foundation was 30 cm x 30 cm. Almost same size.

It was called "turn around hive". It was very popular 50 years ago.

Omlet beehause with 20 frames, price £ 500 . Yes!

http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/products_services.php?view=Bees&about=price.

Compare to Finnish polylangstroth

40010 Basic Langstroth Hive £ 90 , no frames and foundations.

A complete Langstroth hive
-Roof
-3 Full depth hive bodies
-Queen excluder
-Floor and aluminium varroa mesh
-Slide out varroa tray (illustrated)
-Hive strap

10 wooden frames £ 6,50

10 sheet of foundations per box. price ?

Last edited:
mini supers ?

Well I have to say that I like the look of it. It uses National frames, which has to be key. And given that it is 22 frames wide, you could argue that you're getting 2 hives in one, which makes the price much more reasonable.

I also like the "mini supers", which will be much lighter to lift when full.

But I'm not sure that I'm about to dig into my pocket to the tune of £465 at this moment!

there's nothing to stop us making mini supers out of wood for our authentic hives is there ?

Latest posts

Back