Omlet Beehaus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I noticed a member posted a link to a newspaper article regarding the new Omlet Beehaus.

I have been informed that the company are also doing plastic frames for the Beehaus.

I would think twice about buying one if you live in north east Scotland,they would be a sod to scorch if you have EFB.

I will update this thread when photo's are released,I understand the first batch will be yellow.

I was doing a little search engine optimisation.

I started this thread this morning and wanted the forum to rank for "Omlet Beehaus"

Try typing it in Google..

We got ranked no.2 @ 09:53.

Not bad for around 7-8 hours.

With any luck anyone thinking of buying one and starting beekeeping will ask this forum for advice first rather than just jumping in.

I do hope people come here before buying .... Omlet have sold moe than 14,000 eglu's since 2007 ....

I am very tempted to get on there and point out that the worst outcome of keeping chickens is a pecked ankle.

Bees can result in dead people. Not quite the same ball park of risk is it?

PH

Popped this on for them to ponder....

I'd like to make a couple of points if I may. I have kept bees for many years now and principily in poly hives on a reasonably large scale, from 60 to 80 colonies at one time and currently some 25.

Whether certain disinfectants can or cannot successfully eradicate some bee diseases is up to Defra not the individual.

Poly haves are indeed very common in Europe and there are standard sizes around. Whether the UK in particular actually needs a snazzy new variety is highly debatable.

Bees are not toys for gardens they are highly social insects that can on occasion work in concert to the extent the outcome is death to the individual. I make this point for you to ponder, clearly and truthfully, bees can kill.

The worst outcome of having chickens I imagine is a pecked ankle. The worst outcome from bees might be very much more serious.

I never recommend bees in gardens. The risks are just too high, not only to the individuals concerned but also to pets.

Please think very carefully about this matter.

For more information on beekeping please read up on this forum:http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/

Very good post PH,especially about the dangers of bee's in gardens,your advice is exactly the same as i always give regarding the dangers of doing this.
But some of this advice just falls of deaf ears,some people you just can't reach,trying to educate pork springs to mind,as bee's are harmless cuddly little things,they all do there shopping with the birds and fox's,badgers ect down farthing wood don't they.

Well if people did not have bees in gardens an awful lot of beekeepers would have to give up. Most urban beekeepers dont have the luxury of access to out apiaries. Bees have been part of the garden scene for centuries. It is all a matter of commonsense. Bees need respect. They often act as a single organism, a very powerful organism, but they don't generally attack for no good reason. I would not have bees in the garden if they did not tolerate humans nearby. There are types of bee that are docile enough and that wont bother neighbours even while being manipulated.
While people should be aware that bees need to be treated with respect I don't think it does beekeeping any good to scare people unnecessarily. I wonder how much of it is what people are used to. When i inspect my colonies several colonies never attempt to sting. If one attempts to sting once or twice then it is a bad day. Five stings and they are really upset and should not have been opened that day. My garden colonies are very reluctant to sting and I can watch the hive entrance from about 4 feet away. On one of the colonies a guard bee may come out but it give a warning buzz and as long as I back off that is all. i can walk through flightpaths with no problem.
Bees can live close to people without a problem. The main danger to people is getting too close to the hive and an enclosed garden is probably the safest place to have it.
I don't think I would want an Omlet beehive. I have seen their hen houses and they look ghastly. Designed by people who must be colour blind. They would stick out like a sore thumb. I don't mind 'funky' new shapes but I think this vogue for garish mismatching colours all a bit naff.

Geoff there are gardens and gardens. Modern gardens are often postage stamps and not an acre plus.

I was working a hive last year, and as I posted I have never recommended garden beekeeping, and I succumbed to the temptation and very enjoyable it was too. Then during a normal, utterly normal inspection the colony went, and I use the word advisedly, beserk.

Having ones neighbour sobbing her heart out in ones shower is not nice, nor is paying for days off work.

I post from hard experience. Re pets. to my regret I was working a hive one day and turned round to find a dog next to me with a black coat covered in bees. It died.

Bees are not toys. They can and do kill. Would you give someone a shot gun and say it's very safe. No. You give them the gun and the first thing you say is you must be aware never ever to point this at anyone ever as it can KILL.

Same same.

PH

Not in a garden mind,but we had a case down here last summer when one horse,an old one,was so badly stung,it died in the night at the vets,the other horse with it was also badly stung but lived,the owner who was trying to hose the bee's off also ended up in hospital.
The worry is this mad influx of new beekeepers because of all the media coverage,i mean the one's who do next to no research,just got to have bee's.

Geoff, how many of these do you speak to a year,i speak with hundreds,perhaps i should take your advice,advise them all to keep them in the garden,no problems,who cares,might help sales,obviously i'm wrong.Sorry for going on a bit,just tended to worry about somone ending up like the horse.

Last edited:
Thanks Hivemaker.

Remind me next time to take my own advice.

Julie is tempting me to keep some mini nucs in the hotel garden... and I am tempted... but the insurance company might have other ideas.

PH

It is only a beehive we're talking about here.
Surely just becuase you will soon be able to buy a bright coloured plastic beehive that doesn't mean loads of people will rush out to put one in a normal-sized (for me, this is postage stamp sized!) back garden.

I am not so sure Shonabee.

There are people that would not of dreamed of getting chickens in the back garden until they noticed the pretty coup on offer from Omlet.

If the Omlet Beehaus takes off we could see the number of Beekeepers in the uk double over the next few years.

I think the male/female ratio would swing also from a male dominated hobby to a female dominated hobby.

Omlet have sold around 15,000 units to date of the Cube/Omlet so it will be interesting to see how Beehaus sales go.

My only concern is will the courses be able to keep up with beginers wanting to keep bee's or will they just order the product buy the bee's and go for it with a Nuc,finding out 3 months later just what a full hive of bee's is like to manage.

It will be interesting to see what happens with third party Bee Insurance. If the beehaus takes off then the BBKA will potentially get more members and more claims (due to unsuitable siting of hives) what will happen then?

Mind you .. bright yellow hives in the countryside should help the bee rustlers!

I may be wrong but I was told last year that the reason the yellow cube/omlet was taken off the market was because flies covered the yellow ones.

Maybe omlet have a few hundred tonnes of yellow plastic granules to get rid of ?

Not in a garden mind,but we had a case down here last summer when one horse,an old one,was so badly stung,it died in the night at the vets,the other horse with it was also badly stung but lived,the owner who was trying to hose the bee's off also ended up in hospital.
The worry is this mad influx of new beekeepers because of all the media coverage,i mean the one's who do next to no research,just got to have bee's.

Geoff, how many of these do you speak to a year,i speak with hundreds,perhaps i should take your advice,advise them all to keep them in the garden,no problems,who cares,might help sales,obviously i'm wrong.Sorry for going on a bit,just tended to worry about somone ending up like the horse.

Why are you trying to put words in my mouth....or laptop? I would have thought it is obvious that I think you should take precautions. If you read my post my garden colonies are very gentle. Bees that were more likely to sting have been relocated on to my out apiary on a farm. I don't have a big garden and I would not have bees in my garden in they posed a risk to my family or neighbours or they spoiled my enjoyment of the garden. you might say there is always a slight risk. But then there is with everything. I have a great big German Shepherd and some might think she is a risk but i know she isn't.
My bees are Carniolans that have a reputation for being gentle. I find that their tendancy to be swarmey is outweighed by their docility, productivity and lack of propolis. Black bees have a reputation for being less docile.
I don't think the omlet is going to cause an influx of new beekeepers. Beekeeping has become 'cool' already. Omlet are just trying to jump on a bandwagon that is already rolling. Beginners courses are oversubscribed already.
If we take your argument to its logical conclusion then bees should be nowhere near where people go. So they should not be on allotments and those councils who have banned them are right and only a privileged few should really keep them.
Life is full of risks and the risk of being stung by a bee should be pretty small (unless you are a beekeeper and interfering with them). If your bees are a serious risk to people then you really ought to be requeening.

Latest posts

Back