Omlet Beehaus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use commercials as well ... I know exactly what you mean!

I suspect the reason why the Bee Haus doesn't come with 22 frames is the people behind it know more about beekeeping than some are giving them credit for. In the first year after you introduced a nucleus or package of bees to the hive most of the frames would be untouched except perhaps by wax moth or the bees themselves chewing holes in it. Also, some strains of bee may never need all the frames. It is the same introducing a nucleus to a conventional hive. I would only give them a couple of frames of foundation and a dummy board, only introducing extra foundation as and when they need it.

Didn't there used to be a general beekeeping site at this url?, - I appear to have staggered into "plastic beehives anonymous"....
whistling.gif

No,the guys who own it came out of the same design school as mr Dyson.

No,the guys who own it came out of the same design school as mr Dyson.

My reaction, well one of them, when I saw the news items was 'oh its Dyson colours, must be dyson all over again' :toetap05:

So do I.................is it true that Omlet is owned by Apple?

Apple omlet urgggh :puke:

bee-smillie

My favorite comment:

SiXiam @ Aug 6th 2009 9:03PM

It costs so much he couldn't afford any gloves!

The text under the picture...

>> Natural England needs you, dear urbanite, to put on your conservationist hat -- and beesuit, by the looks of it -- and start taking care of a small bee colony.<<

Is a bit worrying .. My commerical hives are not small, in fact several have needed the equivalent of 12 commercial supers this year and lots have been on 4/5 supers... There won't be anything small about a 14x12 colony when they get cracking!!

I really do feel that beekeepers buying the Beehaus should be provided with a full set of frames, even if they are in the flat. There's nothing like putting on a super and at the next inspection finding it full and having a good old panic because you've got no spare kit!!

Another better new type of beehive

I saw a new hive with a draw in the front not long ago. I thought "why has no one done it before?" Apparantly its because no one could solve the problem of the workings being glued with wax but now this guy has solved the problem and got it to work. Its called a Draw Hive.

I think really this is way better than the bee haus as there is
no lifting.
Inspections, etc can be carried out in seconds
Direct access to all brood frames, without dismantling the hive.
Quick and easy access for varroa treatment.
Less disruption to the colony, little smoke required.
All your existing equipment, floors, supers etc. will fit.
Field bees have access to the supers during inspections.
Less risk of crushing bees on opening or closing the hive.
For all standard single-wall hive types, top or bottom bee-space.
Feasible beekeeping for the disabled.
Easy two queen system
Gives easily managed queen-rearing unit, with queen-right colony.
It makes it accessable to old people or people with disabilities.
It makes it a lot less effort for the rest of us and makes it less time consuming and so fits in with the modern hectic lifestyles people have today.

Its only costs around 60 to 70 pounds as opposed to the 465 pound starter pack of the BeeHaus designed by Omlet.

It can be found here;
**EDITED BY ADMIN**

All credit is due to the guy, I think he not only has he had the eureka moment that has been staring us in the face but he has also overcome the problems that others have failed to overcome before him.

Whats funny mr Pollinator is you forgot to change your email when you registered.

Its your bl**dy hive !!!!!

Well done Michael,you have won spammer of the month.

Whats funny mr Pollinator is you forgot to change your email when you registered.

Its your bl**dy hive !!!!!

Well done Michael,you have won spammer of the month.

absolute classic, was obvious without even seeing his email address.

Top marks Admin!!

Dartington mystery

does anyone one know where to get a proper wooden Dartington long hive now? The official website link appears to be "broken". I note omlet say Robin Dartington has been part of thier design team. Is this a coincidence?

does anyone one know where to get a proper wooden Dartington long hive now? The official website link appears to be "broken". I note omlet say Robin Dartington has been part of thier design team. Is this a coincidence?

I belive Robert Has been kidnapped and brainwashed by a cult that live in bright plastic houses, some also say he has reverted to his childhod:svengo:

47-3682597SPA71UC546591X.jpg

Ha Ha. But seriously does anyone know of a supplier of DLDHs?

I am not sure if you can buy Dartingtons ?
The website used to sell plans for them.

Back