Omlet Beehaus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you know Robin Dartington's winter hive loss last year was 50%

I hope it is not down to hive style..

Dan,

I have the plans tor them. Bee place in Newcastle (name in back of book) was marketing them. PM on it's way.

Regards, RAB

Many thanks for that Stevedore. I'll add it to my "to do" list

Ha ha you have to laugh! I feel like a right plonker now. Anyway its is my dads invention not mine, I am a teacher and don't keep bees but heard about the beehaus the other day and searched it on the net and thought "i know I'll stick a reply on here" to help my dad get some money back after he forked out loads on patents not realising the whole email thing. My dad has kept bees for over 30 years and came up with the idea a long time ago. If you want to know anything about his hive, email him and he will reply to you. It is a good invention though all the same. I know that even though my dad is the expert not me. I hope he dosn't read this or it will be really embarrassing, oops.

Hi Polinator

When I first read you post I thought it was a joke because a while back someone joked about using an office filling cabinate for a beehive.

firefilingcabinet.jpg

Now that you have broke the ice, how about some real pic of it, and maybe a bitmore infor from the inventor?

Ha ha you have to laugh! I feel like a right plonker now. Anyway its is my dads invention not mine, I am a teacher and don't keep bees but heard about the beehaus the other day and searched it on the net and thought "i know I'll stick a reply on here" to help my dad get some money back after he forked out loads on patents not realising the whole email thing. My dad has kept bees for over 30 years and came up with the idea a long time ago. If you want to know anything about his hive, email him and he will reply to you. It is a good invention though all the same. I know that even though my dad is the expert not me. I hope he dosn't read this or it will be really embarrassing, oops.

Good on you for replying !

Tell him to come join us and tell us about his hive..

Something puzzles me. Natural England seems to be supporting the Beehaus promotion. Now I have no problem with that, it is probably a good product, if expensive. But weren't Natural England not allowing beehives on their property because they did not regard them as part of the natural fauna, or has someone misinformed me?
Does this ring any bells with anyone? I know I am not confusing them with the National Trust cause they have no probs with bee hives.

Geoff,

I've heard a similar thing .. it seems Natural England have had a change in direction...

So does that mean they will let beehives on where they have heather?

I have just checked the Email. It seems English Nature have sent out a warning to beekeepers about bracken spraying on one of their reserves. That is really an about turn. I got the impression that they were quite anti honey bee.

Last edited:
I have to say, I'm SOOOO pleased I found this forum and this thread! I saw that piece on the news a few days ago about urban beekeeping, although I live in the country it certainly caught my attention. I would be considered one of Omlets target audience. We have a veg patch and I love animals and nature, my daughter also loves Honey. I thought it would be great to have a hive to help the garden and veggies.

I am a seasoned forum user (for my main hobby, Chinchilla keeping) so I hunted out a Bee forum to get the realistic view of beekeeping, found this one and joined yesterday and had a quick look at the forum and noticed the bit about courses and wondered if they were a fundamental requirement or just something that's recommended or if I could read a book to find out what I need to know. I realise now that they are a necessity!

I have to confess I haven't read the whole thread, I got to about page 6 I think (I will plod through the rest), but that was enough for me to realise that Bee's really aren't for me or my family. Will make do with the passing bee's to help the garden. I have to say, as someone with no knowledge on the subject I do now find the Beehaus quite a worry, putting aside the suitability of it as a hive, it will encourage clueless people to set up hives, I dread to think of the consequences, I can also see a large percentage of people then selling their hives with bees when they realise they can't manage them :(.

I might look into keeping bee's somewhere else if I can as I do find it very worrying that they are on the decline.

A big thanks guys :)

I might look into keeping bee's somewhere else if I can as I do find it very worrying that they are on the decline.

A big thanks guys :)

Hello Moonlight and welcome.

I suggest you find your local beekeepers association and go along to an apiary meeting and chat to them. You will be able to get a better overall view of beekeeping and increase your learning of the topic. The experience and understanding of bees gained by this process would help everyone to have a better perspective on apiculture. :)

p.s. If it's of any interest to anyone, a BBC film crew spent most of yesterday in our club apiary, filming and recording us tending to our bees.

I understand it was for a programme scheduled for sometime in January 2010.

Moonlight, Honey bees are not really on the decline in Europe although they do have a problem in the US (probably self-inflicted) and there are potential new threats to honey bees on this side of the Atlantic coming our way. However, it is wild bees, and particularly some species of bumble bee that have suffered a significant drop in population in recent years. If you want to help wild bees put some bumble bee nests in the garden - you can find plans on the net. A buried clay plant pot is a good start.

Sky news were at ours ( missed the showing (sky not on catch up:().
I, m glad moonlight has grasped the situation as it is :).
My worry is the ones caught up in hype and rushing out to do a deal, setting up a hive of any description (albeit the omlet would be the most vaunted)on the strength of a couple of 30 second sound bites. Picture the scenario; eager beaver, enthuses over new hive (keen to exhibit his/her green credentials) doesn't inform the neighbours "(well they're not our kind of people really")Subsequently, pulls hive to bits (inexpertly), has no idea how to control contents !, all hell brakes loose, new owner runs for cover :svengo:, meanwhile just over the fence, neighbour has put buggy out with infant securely strapped in, close by pet dog is tethered (just to keep an eye on baby. Crowd of angry bees (defensive what ever) descend on baby and dog with disasterous results !!.
Go on accuse me of scare mongering, sterio typing people ,over stating what ever. My answer to that is ,I've been around bees long enough to have them kick off on more than one occasion, the gentlest of bees can erupt!!.
Giving people a starry eyed impression of the world of beekeeping is totally irresponsible !

JohnWilkinson

RoofTops,

Honey bees are not really on the decline in Europe

Sustantiate. Evidence, proper statistics, time frame, etc. A silly comment like that will, like as not, be jumped on by more than me.

Ask the French. Ask the Germans. Ask about their hive losses at times over the last decade. Watch the Martha Kearney prog? Why were those French apiarists lobbing hives around?

Let's get this right. Bees are having a hard time wherever pesticides and herbicides and monoculture and varroah are present. Decline - yes - if beekeepers were not trying their hardest to make a living, or maintain their hive numbers, bees would be in serious decline, not just decline.

Ask the guy (from Norfolk?) on the MK prog what he thinks when he loses so many of his colonies.

Why do you think the topic is in the news so much recently? Time for a wake-up call.

RAB

I agree with Rooftops re decline. There has been a lot of talk about "losses" but very little on "increases". I lost 75% (3) of my colonies during the winter of 07/08 but increasedby 75% during the 08 season and have further increased to 7 colonies this season.
I think most beekeepers - unless totally wiped out - replace losses before going for a honey crop, and how many newbys have increased to a safer 2 colonies for the coming winter?
Mike

I'm not saying there are not significant threats to beekeeping and that there have not been cases of significant local loss - as in Germany, but overall I don't see a serious decline in colony numbers in Europe at the moment.

I'll stick my neck out and say most (but not all) of the high colony losses in the UK are down to poor management including inappropriate varroa control stemming from beekeepers not aware either they have pyrethroid resistant mites or blind faith in some new wonder treatment. These are self-inflicted injuries and do not stem from the wider environment. Here in Devon colony losses are now better than they used to be just a few years ago as beeekeepers have come to terms with resistant mites - although losses are still higher of course than in pre-varroa days.

My comment was made in the context of the remark from Moonlight that they wanted to "help bees". The best way to help bees is not to go out and buy a hive but help the wild non-honey bees by planting the right things in the garden and giving them somewhere to live.

The honey bee is not going to die out in Europe in the foreseable future but some species of wild bee may well do so - if they haven't already.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back