Moving stores

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbot ale

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Just thinking about winter, how do I get the bees to take the honey from the super down into the brood box so I can remove the super ready for winter?

Just thinking about winter, how do I get the bees to take the honey from the super down into the brood box so I can remove the super ready for winter?

I've put my unfinished supers under the brood box. I gather they move the stores up into the brood box, leaving you with an empty super come the early spring (think that's right!).

I've put my unfinished supers under the brood box. I gather they move the stores up into the brood box, leaving you with an empty super come the early spring (think that's right!).

Yup that's what I've done too. I understand it reduces the likelihood of having brood in the super as well.

Don't forget to remove the queen excluder whatever you do.

That is the easiest way to do it.
If they don't move it all then you will have to decide if you leave it on for them to use and remove it in the spring. If you leave it on too long the brood from the brood box will extend downwards into the super, if that happens then in late spring you can place it over a queen excluder, ensuring queen is in bb, that way any brood will emerge and leave the super ready for nectar. If you leave it as it is and just remove the QE then you can do the latter anyway, it just needs a bit of manoeuvring in the spring. by leaving it it means they don't have to waste energy moving stores, it really is up to you

OK thanks for that. Will do that at the weekend I've just ratchet strapped the hive down as it looks like it could be windy tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back