Excess Frames of Stores

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the sake of an individual who seems to have left (@oliver90owner), technically what we refer to as a 'super' is more properly called a 'shallow'.

A shallow can be placed in one of three positions in the hive:
1. It can be used for brood (almost no-one does this but it is done by some).
2. It can be put on top of the brood area. Think 'superimposed', hence the term 'super'.
3. It can be placed below the brood area, the lowest box in the hive. Hence the term 'nadir', as elucidated by @hemo.

With 2 and 3, to prevent it becoming part of the brood area (and thus technically neither being supered or nadired), a queen excluder can be placed between the shallow and the brood area.

Most people use them in the super configuration and because, as a society we appear to be conflating a lot of words rather than using the correct terms thus our vocabulary is contracting, we end up with people calling a shallow a super.

There are a few different ways to nadir a shallow, using the search function on here should throw up some threads- someone recently posted a good method.
I'm late to the chat as always, but I thought you might be amused by this quiz question I put in our BKA newsletter a few months ago.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    444.8 KB · Views: 1
The answer is deep. It could have been a super but you can’t tell unless you know where in the hive it was situated.
True. You could have taken a frame from the brood box to extract - though in this case it was from a deep super.

I’m with Dani on this one. The pedant in me wants to say from that picture only one word describes the box. Any additional word is speculative.

Spacing? Or just space?
Oh, no, 'spacing' is a typesetting word, or was when I was taught to set letterpress at Art College many years ago. Of course, nowadays few designers know the principles of spacing and are content to let the screen do the work.

Oh, no, 'spacing' is a typesetting word, or was when I was taught to set letterpress at Art College many years ago. Of course, nowadays few designers know the principles of spacing and are content to let the screen do the work.
Ah, spacing, like leading (the amount of lead)

I'm late to the chat as always, but I thought you might be amused by this quiz question I put in our BKA newsletter a few months ago.
Profoundly impressed at such a deep question. It might even be considered to be a super one. :leaving:

I love it all ... One of my favourites:

A panda walks into a bar and orders a sandwich. The waiter brings him the sandwich. The panda eats it, pulls out a pistol, kills the waiter, and gets up and starts to walk out. The bartender yells for him to stop.
The panda asks, “What do you want?” The bartender replies, “First you come in here, order food, kill my waiter, then try to go without paying for your food.” The panda bear turns around and says, “Hey! I’m a Panda. Look it up!” The bartender goes into the back room and looks up panda in the encyclopedia, which read:

“Panda: a bear-like marsupial originating in Asian regions. Known largely for it’s stark black and white coloring. Eats shoots and leaves."

Don't you just LOVE the English language .. invented solely for the enjoyment of pedants.

Latest posts

Back