What to do with spun frames?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi all!

I’m a little late doing my winter prep but because it’s been unseasonably warm I don’t feel too bad about it.

Last week I took off a full super and left the bees with a second full (8 SN) super and 3/10 DN frames of stores.

I’ve extracted the honey from the super I removed. There is some bee bread and crystallised honey in there still. What shall I do with these frames? Return them and the super to the hive or store them for next season?

I was planning on leaving just a brood and one super for over-wintering, but there still seem to be a significant number of bees flying, and if I’m doing something wrong I’d like to correct before it’s too late. Haven’t given any sugar syrup yet, feels like it’s not needed at the mo.

In the Cotswolds with a WBC, first season beek!

Thanks!

Yes, I put varroa strips in after removing the super.

Do I need to freeze or anything over winter? I guess I need a box big enough to get the whole super in? Not sure my wife will be too happy taking up that much space in the freezer!!

Yes, I put varroa strips in after removing the super.

Do I need to freeze or anything over winter? I guess I need a box big enough to get the whole super in? Not sure my wife will be too happy taking up that much space in the freezer!!
just pack the whole super, frames and all in a strong plastic bag and tie it closed and keep it outside in a cool sheltered spot

Thanks all, sounds easier then I expected!!

On a separate note, the honey I harvested from this late super tastes quite bitter and is a little cloudy compared to my main ‘end of summer’ harvest at the end of sept.

Any reason for this? I guess it’s just different forage, tho no idea what’s flowering round here!!

Ivy?
Ivy tastes and smells medicinal but strangely does mature. I might be tempted to melt it properly ( cloudiness is the beginning of crystallisation) soft set it and leave it for a year.

PS. If it’s yellow it might be ragwort and I’d do the same.
Use a jar of Gales Spreadable as your seed.

I just purchased these of a well known auction site .A very snug fit over national supers and brood box ,I have 2 unoccupied hives in the garden stacked 4 high and have put these on to give some protection over winter ,very strong and thick .Item number 324449843955
£20.99p for 10 free postage
Time will tell how they fare over winter, I have put them on so the end is left open at the floor to allow air circulation
John

Latest posts

Back