How to take off winter stores

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny as I wrote that I thought the same thing about daffs… Yes we do have dandelions - lots of them (except when my overly tidy neighbour strims them 😡) and I’d forgotten about them - long busy day - they’re spectacular atm!

Funny as I wrote that I thought the same thing about daffs… Yes we do have dandelions - lots of them (except when my overly tidy neighbour strims them 😡) and I’d forgotten about them - long busy day - they’re spectacular atm!
Bees love them. Watch out for orange pollen

Thanks everyone- all sorted, I hope! one more honey frame swapped for new foundation in BB, so four in total, plus a super on the top.

Also saw the Queen for the first time - she is tiny and very dark so it’s no wonder I’ve not seen her before, but at least I know what I’m looking for now.

No obvious Queen cups and brood everywhere, inc a fair amount of drone brood.

So it all looks - to my inexperienced eye - ok at the moment, and they have a lot more space so hopefully it’ll stay ok!

I’ve been reading the apiarist talking about nuc-based swarm control so if it looks necessary I may try that…

Oh and the two frames I’m keeping are in the fridge - is that cold enough or does it need to be a freezer?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone- all sorted, I hope! one more honey frame swapped for new foundation in BB, so four in total, plus a super on the top.

Also saw the Queen for the first time - she is tiny and very dark so it’s no wonder I’ve not seen her before, but at least I know what I’m looking for now.

No obvious Queen cups and brood everywhere, inc a fair amount of drone brood.

So it all looks - to my inexperienced eye - ok at the moment, and they have a lot more space so hopefully it’ll stay ok!

I’ve been reading the apiarist talking about nuc-based swarm control so if it looks necessary I may try that…

Oh and the two frames I’m keeping are in the fridge - is that cold enough or does it need to be a freezer?
You shouldn't need to put frames of sealed stores in the fridge. They will be fine as they are, due to the low water content and the honey won't ferment. I store frames in an old non working freezer - stops any robbing, wax moth and mice and wasps are kept out. Old freezers are often available from Freecycle - just put out a wanted post. Super frames are also stored wet in the freezer over winter. They stay sticky and the bees go on them like fun in the following season. Just close the drain hole in the freezer with a bit of foam. Wasps etc will find it, get in and cant find their way out

You shouldn't need to put frames of sealed stores in the fridge. They will be fine as they are, due to the low water content and the honey won't ferment. I store frames in an old non working freezer - stops any robbing, wax moth and mice and wasps are kept out. Old freezers are often available from Freecycle - just put out a wanted post. Super frames are also stored wet in the freezer over winter. They stay sticky and the bees go on them like fun in the following season. Just close the drain hole in the freezer with a bit of foam. Wasps etc will find it, get in and cant find their way out
I wouldn't bet on the honey not fermenting!

Latest posts

Back