Is this the best extractor EVER ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate uncapping, whenever I hear or read that word I witness a chemical chain reaction take place inside me. Urrrgghhh!!!!!

I just hate extracting full stop now although it is now a bit more torrilable that I have my BFA apprentice to help me, (aka SWMBO). Going back to 70/80s it was enjoyable, but the novelty has definitely worn off.
Seriously though, it just goes on & on far too long, infact, I'm that far behind we still have sixty odd supers still to strip.

It's like being on a big merry go round. We spent a lot two years ago on a sump, pump, tanks & uncapper, now though nothing seems really a big enough to cope.

:iagree: used to have access to a 9 frame one, everyone else moaned about the lugs dragging in the honey - until one day I noticed the bottom bolt
I bought one of these from Abelo a few years ago. Same problem, except the lug is welded. National frames run only an inch or so from the bottom, so you pretty much have to use it at an angle. I called Abelo to moan and they said: Ah yes, that one isn't really for national frames, and anyway you should have bought the 20 frame version". Thanks for telling me that before I bought it guys.

This year the electronics started playing up, running up to max speed randomly, which means you have to stay nearby and watch it the whole time. Phone: "Can I buy a new controller please?" "No, you need the whole motor rail." I've forgotten the price.

Not impressed.
https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/extractors/electric-12-frame-radial-extractor/

I have a giordan for 20 dadant rise frames.
Hot water before and after harvest. I also apply a disinfectant for stainless steel for food use before harvest, let it act for hours according to recommendations and rinse with water.

I have a giordan for 20 dadant rise frames.
Hot water before and after harvest. I also apply a disinfectant for stainless steel for food use before harvest, let it act for hours according to recommendations and rinse with water.
Hot water to clean an extractor is not a good idea as it melts any wax and just leaves the inside smeary and prone to mildew forming. Better to use cold water ...

Hot water to clean an extractor is not a good idea as it melts any wax and just leaves the inside smeary and prone to mildew forming. Better to use cold water ...
Hot water (40 to 55°C) is not boiling water (more than 90°). The wax melts around 65°C, although the worst for me are small propolis stains.

:iagree: hot (or warm( water never comes near my extractor, just give it a good hosing down, then a wipeover with a dqamp cloth to finish, if it's dry, it stand outside for half an hour then gets put away until the next time.

My 40 year old Lega ...

Takes 15 frames radially, built like a tank, bomb proof motor with a manual rheostat to control the speed (no electronics), proper stainless steel that stays stain free (including the motor mounting rail), no sharp edges anyhere, honey gate drains virtually everything before you have to tip it , easy extractor to clean, take the motor off (just two nuts to remove the motor and rail) hose it off, lift the cage out in one piece, turn it over, put it back the other way up and hose again. And I dare not tell you what it cost me second hand ...

I've seen a lot of extractors over the years but I've not seen anything to beat it for a sensible price but I'm open to challenges.
same as mine (i bought 8 years ago at a bee market from a guy who was stopping keeping)

superb

covered in honey

Aside from the fact that it will attract bees and wasps unless it's well sealed up, the remaining honey will absorb moisture from the atmosphere and start to ferment, most likely leaving you an even bigger mess to clean up when you next want to use it.

James

For cleaning extractor I use a pressure washer with cold water which knocks most of the small bits of wax off. Let that lot flow off then fill the tank up to the top and turn the handle a few times over a couple of hours . Then empty the tank and when empty give a power washer rinse and leave to drain and leave upside down in the sun to dry off. I then leave it covered with a cheap tarpaulin until needed next season with a rinse before use. My experience with warm water is that it makes wax bits stick harder to metal.

Latest posts

Back