Is this the best extractor EVER ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they are - which is reflected in the price - compare the prices Maisies charge for their Lega 9 frame compared to the Lyson (another quality machine) 20 frame radial
Blimey, I'd better add it to the list of things that are actually worth more than I admitted to - only to be opened in the event of my death ! They are not cheap bits of kit are they ? You get what you pay for ...

My Mum had one until the top loading Hoover washing machine finally gave up the ghost after nearly 40 years use and she reluctantly (VERY RELUCTANTLY AND WITH MUCH COMPLAINT) gave in to me buying her a front loader and dumped the Burco spin drier - which she viewed with a lot of suspicion because 'a friend told her - the door could come opem and spill water all over the floor' . She used to sit in the kitchen and watch it in case it did .... it never did and outlived her.
Gran had her “Coronation” model single tub washing machine with electric mangle until she passed on aged 103. Mum’s Bendix washing machine went for 22 years.

Gran had her “Coronation” model single tub washing machine with electric mangle until she passed on aged 103. Mum’s Bendix washing machine went for 22 years.
Oh .. that brings back some memories - when my Mum's first Hoover washing maching with the manual mangle on top packed up and she was obliged to buy one with an electric mangle which she viewed as dangerous ' Because a friend had got her fingers caught in it'.

That one did 20 years and lasted until the Hoover model with the mangle was replaced with a twin tub one with the washing machine side by side with the spin drier ... which was the one that lasted 40 years - the gears on the spin drier broke at some point and Dad, rather than risk the wrath of a further seismic shift in technology, let her keep the twin tub washing machine and bought her the Burco spin drier. She used the redundant and dead spin drier part of the twin tub as a laundry bin .... I think it was a generation thing, the keeping things going attitude and the suspicion about anything new ? .. Mum died in 2017 just short of her 100th birthday.

That reminds me... My first extractor was an old single tub spin dryer. I used to crush all the frames in a net bag and throw it in. I only used it one year but it worked quite well. I haven't seen a spin dryer like that for years. You didn't used to get them in the washing machine!
Could use it today as a cappings spinner

Hi guys, while on the subject of extractors, i need a 20 frame cage to replace my present 20 frame cage in my Thomas extractor.
Any good recommendations please.

Amazingly they are still available to buy new and with a stainless steel drum ... whether the rest of it is food safe I would not like to say ...cheaper than a decent electric extractor though ! How you clean it afterwards .... juries out on that one ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gravity-Sp...1661842701&s=appliances&sr=1-4&ts_id=10706311
I would say hot water would be very effective at cleaning as there should be little wax in the system due to straining via the mesh bags. If there was any wax build up over years would have a negotiable effect on its performance.

So what are the characteristics that make for a good extractor?
1. No sharp edges
2. Reliability
3. Easy to clean
4. Robust
5. Big enough to do what you need it to do
6. Fits through any doors it needs to go through !

Actually the one I had was modded by Mobus so it ran with no lid. Bloody dangerous and I treated it with great respect because of that. He did it initially as a means of spinning out heather rather than crushing it in a press. I used it mainly for cleaning honey through very fine mesh and it was excellent for the job and yes cappings too. Bernard had it powder coated and sadly that began to fail so it was off the great scrapheap in the sky. I was truly sad to see it go. It filtered tons for me over the years.

PH

Hi All,
Previously I asked for recommendations for a replacement cage/cassette for my old Thomas extractor, as I'd drew a blank from Thomas in France, none were forth coming.
However I did a phone around and got some brilliant help from the guys at Abelo.
Sent them measurements, pictures, and requirements, they have had one fabricated for me all within 4 weeks, can't thank or recommend them enough...
This isn't an advert, just a pointer for great service.

Back