Intensity of bee venom

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does the composition of bee venom vary between colonies which then result in a large range of reactions?

Following a bad reaction to a sting from a specific colony in our garden, we moved our hives to a farm. My husband was also stung several times on his hands from the same colony and experienced a lot of intense itching and swelling (unusual for him). He was stung again from a different colony at the weekend and barely reacted at all.

All the bees are descended from the same queen and have mated locally. However the bad reactions occurred from DLW.

I've often wondered if it's down to something associated with the age of the Bee, maybe sting potency increases with age.

Thank you that’s interesting. The less reaction producing colony are a few months older and currently building up rapidly, whereas the DLW must still be winter bees.

Stings from young bees appear to be less potent than older ones - or maybe the bees are not strong enough to drive the barbs in far enough to hold? The more poison injected, the greater the reaction - I assume(?).
(I write as someone whose annual sting count exceeds 100 and is now immune to most stings)

That would seem logical I guess. In my case the sting was barely in and only attached a few seconds. Just confirms how sensitive I am to anything invading my outer layers :(.

Pleased to hear you've developed immunity madasafish, I wish it worked for me. With the last one on my eyebrow I asked the hospital doctor if I should have an Epipen, his reply was "we don't give our Epipens until you've had an anaphylactic shock". As I replied to him "isn't that a bit too late?"

That would seem logical I guess. In my case the sting was barely in and only attached a few seconds. Just confirms how sensitive I am to anything invading my outer layers :(.

Pleased to hear you've developed immunity madasafish, I wish it worked for me. With the last one on my eyebrow I asked the hospital doctor if I should have an Epipen, his reply was "we don't give our Epipens until you've had an anaphylactic shock". As I replied to him "isn't that a bit too late?"

Anaphylactic shock usually occurs with ever increasingly bad symptoms: over a period of weeks with each sting making it develop into a more severe case. Ignored at your peril. Most new beekeepers suffer swelling and itching, not the symptoms of tightened chest, difficulty in breathing which is anaphylaxis. (worth reading up about it)

Epipens can be bought from online pharmacies.
They are near enough £50 for a single though, and £90 in retail pharmacies.
They are probably not prescribed for cost reasons, potentially because a first attack does not lead on "nationally" to any ongoing costs to the NHS.

Personally if I feel I am heading towards a sensitivity, I would buy one to keep on hand myself.
Much as were I an off-piste skier, or wilderness trekker I would also probably invest in a GPS emergency beeacon.

Thank you madasafish and Alex.mc. Have looked over the NHS info on anaphylaxis and will wait to see what the next one brings before taking further action. If my reaction is faster/greater than the last time, I’ll discuss the long term situation with my GP. I had a sting on the same eyebrow last October and the swelling took a couple of days to evolve. With the recent one the swelling was immediate and then developed further and became widespread round the side of my face. I know my heart was satisfactory as I was monitored by ECG at one stage at A&E. There were no other symptoms such as breathing issues. Needless to say I am trying to be very careful now as well!

The reaction naturally varies each time, depending on site of sting, how long before you remove the sting etc. Might be an idea to take a prophylactic non drowsy antihistamine when you suit up.
If buying your own, be aware that epipens have a relatively short shelf life.
Dr. Ex

I’ve found they tend to hurt more early season, by the end of the summer they are barely noticed.

Stung today, I can't even remember which finger it was. Had a few up my sleeve in Feb and I was like Popeye. Sometimes I wonder if some just 'mean it' more than others.

Perhaps Ian123 and Swarm's comments above (#12 and #13) support Dani's suggestion (#3) that overwintered bee stings promote greater reactions than later season ones?

But maybe it's also a question of building up resistance as the beekeeping season gets underway and we receive more stings?

I'm fairly resistant ...up to now, after all we are all just a sting away from anaphylaxis (have your apiary site written in WHAT THREE WORDS somewhere prominent)
BUT early stings hurt more!

Thank you madasafish and Alex.mc. Have looked over the NHS info on anaphylaxis and will wait to see what the next one brings before taking further action. If my reaction is faster/greater than the last time, I’ll discuss the long term situation with my GP. I had a sting on the same eyebrow last October and the swelling took a couple of days to evolve. With the recent one the swelling was immediate and then developed further and became widespread round the side of my face. I know my heart was satisfactory as I was monitored by ECG at one stage at A&E. There were no other symptoms such as breathing issues. Needless to say I am trying to be very careful now as well!
I too have never had a reaction until this spring and with only one sting I suffered swelling to my cheek and redness that wouldn’t go down for some days. I’m also wondering about getting an epipen.

Following my trip to A&E on the advice of the NHS phone service, I was given 3.5 days steroid tablets and more of the same type of Piriton that I already had. Even in a hour or so the swelling was noticeably reduced. So my (non-medical) conclusion was that Piriton alone would not have treated the cellulitis that the sting caused. But also an Epipen would not have been helpful in my case either - THIS time.

I have taken cautious confidence from both the hospital doctor and the advice given here that I received the right treatment at the time. I do not want to self-medicate with an Epipen myself, although I would not hesitate if I was advised to carry one. Perhaps you should talk over your reaction with your GP before you splash out? As a fellow sufferer let’s hope our next ones are from young bees and don’t have the same effects!

(I write as someone whose annual sting count exceeds 100 and is now immune to most stings)
Good grief! I don’t get nearly that many in a year, and if I did, would be changing my queens. I have maybe not as many hives as you, usually about 10, but don’t reckon to get more than one sting a week, and mostly not that. I also maybe get a little red spot for a couple of hours then its gone, sometimes theres a little bit of itching, mostly none.

Good grief! I don’t get nearly that many in a year, and if I did, would be changing my queens. I have maybe not as many hives as you, usually about 10, but don’t reckon to get more than one sting a week, and mostly not that. I also maybe get a little red spot for a couple of hours then its gone, sometimes theres a little bit of itching, mostly none.

Yes, my thoughts too.

I have done around 30 hive inspections so far this year, and have only had one bee try to sting, and that didn't penetrate the marigold. Touch wood!

Latest posts

Back