Angry bees!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The impact of RF on biology is still being tested. I guess we'll find out. There are a number of studies on pubmed to look at. Particularly affect on mitochondria function.

I'm too busy making tinfoil hats to discuss further. Also, there's a flat earth group meeting after lunch I've to attend. ;)
Don't worry there's quite afew of us who wear tinfoil hats, on a note have you seen how they test the safety of mobile phones 😬. I wish I didn't need mobile phones but unfortunately it's become a necessity for my livelihood :-(

Could you ask another beekeeper to help you, Susan?

As Will said, ending of a flow can turn temper for the worse, and the ending of OSR (which contains an addictive poison) can turn bees murderous. I agree with JBM: bin the leather gloves and double up on nitrile, or Marigold and nitrile.

PS: I get the gist of your painful experience, but we must remember that bees do not copy the behaviour of erratic humans and are never angry and nor do they attack.

If beekeepers believe bees are dangerous then the public have no chance of learning that bees act defensively when they perceive a threat, and that noisy wings are just noisy wings and not anger. This re-interpretation may help you when you walk down the garden path tomorrow.
Absolutly a fair point. I understand the bees have a good reason for what happened. It was simply how it felt ot me never having experienced anything like this before. They were really intent on stinging me and being very defensive, but I am not put of.

Absolutly a fair point. I understand the bees have a good reason for what happened. It was simply how it felt ot me never having experienced anything like this before. They were really intent on stinging me and being very defensive, but I am not put of.
Not sure if you have been in since as there were so many spurious posts in here I couldn't be bothered to read them. We HAVE ALL been there but some of us forget easier than others! I am so pleased you are conquering that 'panic' feeling. Let us know how you progress😁

They were really intent on stinging me and being very defensive
Had a phone call just now asking if I'd noticed a decline in bee temper this last week. I haven't, but the weather (and barometric pressure) has been up and down and could well be the source of your problem.

never before in 10 years beekeeping had an angry swarm
I experienced an angry swarm
Just to be clear, Susan: was it an established colony or a swarm that gave you a pasting? Anything queenless can often (though not always) be vicious: are you certain the colony is queenright?

Thank you for all your replies. I am now getting a tin hat, a radio aerial and a 5G phone!!!

Sorry it has been a few days before replying - coudn't inspect the first day after the bees were stinging as I was out and it was raining the next day.
I do not normally wear leather gloves, these were a birthday present from my hubby. I usually wear the thick blue ones with another pair underneath.
The hive is an established hive from a nuc bought last year and it is very large. I was going to check to see if it needed another super and if it was thinking about swarming. It was fine seven days earlier with no queen cells or cups and although I did not see the queen on that inspection there were eggs and brood.
I did not get as far as finding out what state it was in this inspection as I just packed it up and got out of there.
I am hoping to check it soon but the weather is not great and I do not finish work until 4pm. It may have to be saturday but I will see tonight.
I am not going to do anything hasty until I have rechecked them. I am usually very calm and quiet with the bees and my two other hives were absolutely fine. Thank goodness I checked them first.
I will be well suited and gloved with my old gloves - the new ones are going in the fire although I could maybe use them in the garden? I will also definitly be bringing a smoker but unfortunatly have got no bee friends handy as have got out of the the of going to the nearest bee association.
Again thank you for all your advice and I will let you know how I get on.

Thank you for all your replies. I am now getting a tin hat, a radio aerial and a 5G phone!!!

Sorry it has been a few days before replying - coudn't inspect the first day after the bees were stinging as I was out and it was raining the next day.
I do not normally wear leather gloves, these were a birthday present from my hubby. I usually wear the thick blue ones with another pair underneath.
The hive is an established hive from a nuc bought last year and it is very large. I was going to check to see if it needed another super and if it was thinking about swarming. It was fine seven days earlier with no queen cells or cups and although I did not see the queen on that inspection there were eggs and brood.
I did not get as far as finding out what state it was in this inspection as I just packed it up and got out of there.
I am hoping to check it soon but the weather is not great and I do not finish work until 4pm. It may have to be saturday but I will see tonight.
I am not going to do anything hasty until I have rechecked them. I am usually very calm and quiet with the bees and my two other hives were absolutely fine. Thank goodness I checked them first.
I will be well suited and gloved with my old gloves - the new ones are going in the fire although I could maybe use them in the garden? I will also definitly be bringing a smoker but unfortunatly have got no bee friends handy as have got out of the the of going to the nearest bee association.
Again thank you for all your advice and I will let you know how I get on.
AHH! Another tip. If you have a feisty hive then try and inspect at about 11am on a nice day ( I do understand that this is not always possible!) They are busy then and stroppy flyers will be out. Late afternoon and they are nackered and grumpy! Thanks for the update. It is good to know how you are getting on.
Not sure if you have read my blog on this site, it just helps to know we all went through it! Go to the blog page, authors, my avatar and there are nine chapters in there! Keep us up to date😁

I think it will have to be saturday then if the weather is good. Even if the weather is just ok I have to get in there to see what's going on.

All the best with them. Mine have quietened down so I'm putting it down to them being 'hangry' last week plus OSR withdrawal signs.

I checked the hives in one of my out apiaries on Wednesday. They were all calm and pleasant to inspect. On Thursday morning I opened one of the hives in my garden, a normally pleasant hive, and the bees poured out at me. Later that day I went to the hive next to it and they were fine. The bees in the first hive ignored me too.

Update. I checked yesterday and managed to open up the hive during a relatively dry moment. I had to get in as I had left out one of the frames from the brood box. Luckily it did not have brood on it.
I used the smoker and thank goodness they were fine. A bit buzzy but nowhere near the way they were the previous day. They had built comb in the gap which I got out and I was able to check through the frames. Lots of brood and eggs I couldn't see the queen but its a big hive so not worried about that. I have added a new brood frame rather than replace the old on left on the grass back. I also added another super.
I brought an extra hive with me in case I needed to do swarm control but thank goodness I saw no indications - well some queen cups but nothing in them. I know queen cups can be an indication and I know I will need to check again soon but the weather wasn't great so I didn't want to keep the hive open too long.
I will check again on Friday as the weather is meant to get better.
Once again thanks for all the advice. Am really pleased they seem to have settled down.

Update. I checked yesterday and managed to open up the hive during a relatively dry moment. I had to get in as I had left out one of the frames from the brood box. Luckily it did not have brood on it.
I used the smoker and thank goodness they were fine. A bit buzzy but nowhere near the way they were the previous day. They had built comb in the gap which I got out and I was able to check through the frames. Lots of brood and eggs I couldn't see the queen but its a big hive so not worried about that. I have added a new brood frame rather than replace the old on left on the grass back. I also added another super.
I brought an extra hive with me in case I needed to do swarm control but thank goodness I saw no indications - well some queen cups but nothing in them. I know queen cups can be an indication and I know I will need to check again soon but the weather wasn't great so I didn't want to keep the hive open too long.
I will check again on Friday as the weather is meant to get better.
Once again thanks for all the advice. Am really pleased they seem to have settled down.
That’s good news. My first nightmare colony happened last year after six years of keeping bees and it really unsettled me. I tried to requeen, but the colony had grown huge and I lost the war of attrition trying to find her. I even bought a “sting proof” suit to have another go, but got stung through it. I live near a junior school, so can’t take risks with nasty bees and don’t have access to an out apiary or the vehicular means of moving a huge hive away. Decision time was when just leaving the back door I took a sting between the eyes. My wife was in fear of going outside. The colony was the one furthest away from the house. So we had to part company and it was a truly horrible experience. Even when I went after dusk to close them up, they absolutely piled out and I had several bees in my wellies - I was fully kitted up - but took stings to my ankles through thick socks. I cannot tell you the relief I felt after they were no more, but combined with guilt and failure!
Just sometimes it has to be done, I’m really glad for you that you’ve avoided it. (I had put up with too long in retrospect).

That sounds awful. I was actually looking at sting proof suits but decided against it. I am glad they were civilized as I could not have put up with that for to long. Hopefully all ok now for both of us.
Ordered new latex gloves today.

Had to move a colony of bees today.
These bees had up until last week been my most gentle ones, giving me a lot of pleasure as well as a good source of Honey.
Last week they changed for the worse.
Attacking the local farmer and his wife.
Following me back to the car 100 meters, and managing to get inside the car.
When I inspected them the Queen was present and laying. Plenty of brood, as well as space. Lots of honey and nectar.
They managed to sting me on my arm and three times on my hand when I was walking back to the car.
My hand has swollen and hurts.
So not a good day

Latest posts

Back