Angry bees!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Well for the first time ever I experienced an angry swarm. I have three hives and have never before in 10 years beekeeping had an angry swarm. I never had to use smoke as the bees were always calm and well behaved, I had only read about angry hives. Until today.
I opened my third and biggest hive last, I wanted to check if it had any indications for swarming. I got the first and then second super of and took a brood frame out when the bees started to seriously attack. They were determined to sting and unfortunately the managed to sting me quite a few times through my leather gloves. Normally I wear two pairs of gloves but hadn't this time.
I managed to fire everything back together even though I just wanted to run!!
I left out one frame from the brood box as I forgot to put it back in my panic. I was quite shaken by this as I do get quite a dramatic reaction to stings. I had about 10 in the end on my hands.
Now I have to take a deep breath and go back down tomorrow to check them out and see if it was a one off or they have turned bad. It was about 430 pm when I checked them which is later than I usually do but the other two hives were fine. If they are the same tomorrow I guess I have to find the queen and get rid of her and buy a new one.

Sounds like you are in good company ...

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/angry-ish-colony.53095/
Overcast, thundery high pressure weather can sometimes induce erratic behaviour and we are generally in the grip of this type of weather system at present ... with any luck it will pass and their behaviour will improve.

I am really hoping that was the cause. I will be bringing a smoker next time and wearing lots of layers. Wouldn't want to go through that experience too often.
But it was the first time ever so I guess I'll get over it and "man" up.

I am really hoping that was the cause. I will be bringing a smoker next time and wearing lots of layers. Wouldn't want to go through that experience too often.
But it was the first time ever so I guess I'll get over it and "man" up.
A boy named Sue 😉

Sounds like you are in good company ...

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/angry-ish-colony.53095/
Overcast, thundery high pressure weather can sometimes induce erratic behaviour and we are generally in the grip of this type of weather system at present ... with any luck it will pass and their behaviour will improve.

This is my thinking/hope as several of mine were significantly grumpier than usual last week and one nuc I checked today followed me a few metres back to the car which is a new experience... The change in temperament has been sudden and I think linked to OSR ending and this weather arriving so hopefully it's a waiting game rather than a lot of requeening. Brambles now open in force...

Even when I "know" a hive is docile I always have a lit smoker to hand - it only takes a couple of minutes of prep.
Even with that I recently opened a hive that had been feisty before I removed their queen. Result of over 60 stings to my (perhaps stupidly bare) hands.
I dread to think what they would have been like without smoke!
They hopefully now have a new nicer queen 🤞

This is my thinking/hope as several of mine were significantly grumpier than usual last week and one nuc I checked today followed me a few metres back to the car which is a new experience... The change in temperament has been sudden and I think linked to OSR ending and this weather arriving so hopefully it's a waiting game rather than a lot of requeening. Brambles now open in force...
I always give them a couple of chances before starting to think about a new queen .. and I have to be honest - I've seen colonies that their beekeeper has described as 'horrible' that, when I inspected them, were perfectly reasonable ... Whilst I don't think that the bees in this thread are the results of the way the beekeepers are inspecting them I have seen beekeepers who are far too hasty, bang boxes about, roll bees when they take the frames out ... and then wonder why their bees are attacking them !

I always give them a couple of chances before starting to think about a new queen .. and I have to be honest - I've seen colonies that their beekeeper has described as 'horrible' that, when I inspected them, were perfectly reasonable ... Whilst I don't think that the bees in this thread are the results of the way the beekeepers are inspecting them I have seen beekeepers who are far too hasty, bang boxes about, roll bees when they take the frames out ... and then wonder why their bees are attacking them !
Yes, gentle handling goes a long way. I think my bees are usually average. Today was a small cloud of bees buzzing around me from the moment the CB was cracked. To be fair they'd been stuck in during the rain so all the foragers were involved too. No stings received but one made it into the car and was angrily buzzing everything I touch regularly - particularly steering wheel and rear view mirror. Was interesting to observe.

Yes, gentle handling goes a long way. I think my bees are usually average. Today was a small cloud of bees buzzing around me from the moment the CB was cracked. To be fair they'd been stuck in during the rain so all the foragers were involved too. No stings received but one made it into the car and was angrily buzzing everything I touch regularly - particularly steering wheel and rear view mirror. Was interesting to observe.
I guess they don't like your scent - I wonder if that is learned?

Definitely get rid of the gloves. I use these, turned inside out (because black isn't a good colour to use with bees I think), and stings very rarely get through

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marigold-Extra-Tough-Outdoor-Gloves/dp/B00ECCA6O2
Unlike leather gloves, they can be bleach treated as and when required to get rid of any disease, and washed easily, so you won't go into the next hive inspection with your hands smelling like a previously-stung bear.

Well for the first time ever I experienced an angry swarm. I have three hives and have never before in 10 years beekeeping had an angry swarm. I never had to use smoke as the bees were always calm and well behaved, I had only read about angry hives. Until today.
I opened my third and biggest hive last, I wanted to check if it had any indications for swarming. I got the first and then second super of and took a brood frame out when the bees started to seriously attack. They were determined to sting and unfortunately the managed to sting me quite a few times through my leather gloves. Normally I wear two pairs of gloves but hadn't this time.
I managed to fire everything back together even though I just wanted to run!!
I left out one frame from the brood box as I forgot to put it back in my panic. I was quite shaken by this as I do get quite a dramatic reaction to stings. I had about 10 in the end on my hands.
Now I have to take a deep breath and go back down tomorrow to check them out and see if it was a one off or they have turned bad. It was about 430 pm when I checked them which is later than I usually do but the other two hives were fine. If they are the same tomorrow I guess I have to find the queen and get rid of her and buy a new one.
Its certainly not a nice experience ! .
Layer up on next visit and goodluck

maybe a nice warm incinerator? 😁
I have to admit ... after my initial trial (first week of being a real if not proficient beekeeper) of the welding gloves sold (or at times given away) by beekeeping clothing suppliers I realised their limitations ... fine for allowing visitors to watch inspections knowing they are pretty bomb proof but as a useful glove to try and do manipulations ... total disaster ! I rapidly moved to 'Marigolds' of one sort or another - I've tried a huge variety over the years ... some better than others - some I use with nitriles over the top for the covenience and ability to put on a clean pair ...

My present favourite is Ansell Touch n Tuff 92-605 (recommended by a number of forum members and I think they really are the dog's ...Not the cheapest but they really are very good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ansell-Tou...fix=ansell+touch+n+tuff+92-605,aps,297&sr=8-2

I guess they don't like your scent - I wonder if that is learned?
I believe it is. If they can learn where a hive is and where to forage, plus use scent for signalling, I can't imagine they wouldn't. However, this reaction was probably before they scented me...

take a deep breath and go back down tomorrow
Could you ask another beekeeper to help you, Susan?

As Will said, ending of a flow can turn temper for the worse, and the ending of OSR (which contains an addictive poison) can turn bees murderous. I agree with JBM: bin the leather gloves and double up on nitrile, or Marigold and nitrile.

PS: I get the gist of your painful experience, but we must remember that bees do not copy the behaviour of erratic humans and are never angry and nor do they attack.

If beekeepers believe bees are dangerous then the public have no chance of learning that bees act defensively when they perceive a threat, and that noisy wings are just noisy wings and not anger. This re-interpretation may help you when you walk down the garden path tomorrow.

Definitely get rid of the gloves. I use these, turned inside out (because black isn't a good colour to use with bees I think), and stings very rarely get through

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marigold-Extra-Tough-Outdoor-Gloves/dp/B00ECCA6O2
Unlike leather gloves, they can be bleach treated as and when required to get rid of any disease, and washed easily, so you won't go into the next hive inspection with your hands smelling like a previously-stung bear.

Do you not get any issues with the gloves being black?

My bees seem to gun for anything black or perceived as black to them such as the red handle on an old hive tool and my mobile phone sticking out of my packet.

Latest posts

Back