Intensity of bee venom

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good grief! I don’t get nearly that many in a year, and if I did, would be changing my queens. I have maybe not as many hives as you, usually about 10, but don’t reckon to get more than one sting a week, and mostly not that. I also maybe get a little red spot for a couple of hours then its gone, sometimes theres a little bit of itching, mostly none.

Most of my stings are:
1. on bare hands (I don't wear gloves normally)
2. from bees belonging to people I assist /mentor.
3. Happen in bouts of multiple stinging.

I clearly have unacceptable pheromones for some bees.
My own bees are very placid: I get at most 10 stings a year from them and requeen the unacceptable ones.

Local bees are horrible round here. Anyone open mating queens as I do is doomed to have a high percentage of horrible genes, in the offspring.

I'm fairly resistant ...up to now, after all we are all just a sting away from anaphylaxis (have your apiary site written in WHAT THREE WORDS somewhere prominent)
BUT early stings hurt more!
Thats really sensible idea. - Is that something that should be communicated to all prospective beekeepers.

As far as I recall, newly-emerged bees don't have a fully-functioning sting. Perhaps if they end up as guards or flying bees earlier than might normally be the case because of the needs of the colony then their stings might not be as unpleasant?

James

Maybe if it lands in a blood vessel it has more effect.
If its possible to gain an immunity then I also wonder if long term exposure to venom has a health impact -surely it must come at some cost.
Truth is 'it's complictaed' and esoteric. Some people seem to actually benefit form their stings. Some seem to desensitise as a result of stings others develop sensitivity.

i think alongside age / genetics(Q+Drones) it plays a part also food(nectar polllen) them collecting/eating and so maybe how ''fat'' bee is

personally i like stings and the feeling after it (got stung almost every time visit apiary) mostly i not use smoker or wear suit, try being as much gently as i can but ve noticed that em not like my hand-clock when sun shinning and my black joker hat ,but yes i ve oppend and closed same moment a hive couple of times and remember three summers ago i run

I mentioned earlier this year that after suffering no more than the usual localised itch after stings for years, in January I was stung once on my fingertip and in less than 2 minutes I was unconscious in full anaphylaxic shock. Luckily someone was there to call an ambulance and I spent 2 days in hospital. I now have epipens.
After a lot of compromise and support, I decided to continue beekeeping for now. I got a lot of eye rolling and raised eyebrows from some friends and family but I invested in a sentinel pro suit and gloves and my husband now does the hands on hive work with me assisting (it used to be the other way around) My husband is still trying to gently persuade me to give the bees up.... especially after we spent the weekend climbing all over a neighbour's outhouse catching a swarm from our hive (despite splitting them earlier this month, typical!) 🙈

Are you going to take an immunotherapy course?

I'm currently seeing an NHS allergy consultant, but didnt get the appointment until March. I was given a scratch test for both wasp and bee venom with negative reactions to both, but was told this doesn't mean much (in hindsight I wondered why they'd bothered doing that test if that's the case?) They then immediately took a blood sample following the test and explained this would tell them more but the results would take a number of weeks (still waiting!)
I was told that depending on the outcome, they would offer me immunotherapy treatment on the proviso that I stopped beekeeping. A little upsetting to hear that I could manage the allergy but no longer keep the bees, especially when you read articles about 'immunotherapy allowing beekeepers to continue with their livelihood/hobby'
It would be madness to say no to it, so maybe I could Foster the bees out for a season or 2 .... I'm still thinking about it all

Most of my stings are:
1. on bare hands (I don't wear gloves normally)
2. from bees belonging to people I assist /mentor.
3. Happen in bouts of multiple stinging.

I clearly have unacceptable pheromones for some bees.
My own bees are very placid: I get at most 10 stings a year from them and requeen the unacceptable ones.

Local bees are horrible round here. Anyone open mating queens as I do is doomed to have a high percentage of horrible genes, in the offspring.
Ah, that sounds more reasonable! I do wear latex or similar, the bees tickle my hands as they walk over them, so I shake them off, makes them a bit twitchy - so I wear gloves. Also stops my hands looking as though I smoke 60 a day because of propolis.

I too have never had a reaction until this spring and with only one sting I suffered swelling to my cheek and redness that wouldn’t go down for some days. I’m also wondering about getting an epipen.
Maybe it depends on the immune system overreacting, in my case, it has become less so, just itches for a few hours and then it gone make sure the sting has been removed

I've never heard anybody else report that they would have to give up
Lie?

You mean just tell them i have given it up to tick a box? That's something we did talk about, and it's my preferred choice (my husband is supportive but concerned so, he's on the fence)
By sheer coincidence , I have just received a letter from the hospital this morning confirming the allergy and anaphylaxis diagnosis with a request to get in touch to make arrangements for immunotherapy if I want to go ahead!

Why not confront them? Tell them you know others and none were told they would have to agree to give up beekeeping.
I did mention this at the first appointment, and even pointed to a bbc news article which commended the NHS for enabling beekeepers with allergies to continue, but was very politely told those were the conditions. I don't know if it is that particular NHS trust, or that particular allergy consultant making this decision 🤔
I don't want to bring it up with them again now I've been offered the immunotherapy in case they think I'm not onboard and withdraw the offer.
What i really want to say to them, is that at the age of 42 I'm old enough to make my own choices about the risks I take and shouldn't be held to ransom. I don't ever recall a skier being told they would have to agree to never ski again before the hospital agreed to fix their broken leg after a skiing accident etc...

Having dealt with doctors for a while I personally have found that it’s easier to get your way if you pretend to toe the line if it suits.

I mentioned earlier this year that after suffering no more than the usual localised itch after stings for years, in January I was stung once on my fingertip and in less than 2 minutes I was unconscious in full anaphylaxic shock.

This is very sobering. I remember reading your message some time ago and started this thread partly with your experience in mind.

Latest posts

Back