How Much is Your Honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a good guide price for a 1lb jar is £4.99 up north and £6.99 down south ..... We must also understand that people don't have that little extra in their pockets for special treats like they did 2 years ago, and honey in most cases won't even be on there weekly shopping lists, we ALL need to put a realistic price on the product, maybe a minimum price would be a good move forward

The other way round surely.
Supply & demand.
Not as much supply up here but plenty of demand.

Just got home from a Summer fete in mid Wales and was well disappointed to find local honey being sold at £3.50 per lb. No idea what the mark up was :(

went to a farm shop the weekend locally their honey was £3.40 lb . how on earth did they manage that ! mine is £5.00 lb .

£3.40lb, sounds like a good price in a farm shop.

I admit to being hopelessly out of date with pricing, but guess I would need to think about two prices:
direct to public
to a shop or third party to sell

I'm getting the general drift that £5.00 1lb is a reasonable direct price ( more if its "special" single crop etc)
and about £3.50 to shops and outlets.

obviously market adjustments apply .
?

There are a lot of beekeepers in my area (nr Stroud, Glos) and local honey is relatively cheap... The going market stall rate is between 4.50 and 5.50 for a 12oz jar. Nevertheless I was very irritated to find Dutch "organic honey" for sale in a local health food shop for £3.50/lb jar. Not sure what's going on there.

Personally I like to sell cut comb from foundationless frames, which is particularly nice to eat as honeycomb and looks very pretty in the jar. It's £5 for a 12oz hex jar... but will go up next year to £6. No difficulty in selling it whatsoever: it's basically bagged before it's in the jar.

:rant:The cost of jars is also annoying. How come you can get jam, honey-coloured syrup or lemon curd for 29p a jar at Tesco's when a new jar and lid is hard to find for under 30p? I allow 50p for the jar, lid and label, and try to use new lids with re-used jars where possible.

My bees are garden dwellers as the name suggests, so I do give a free pot or two to my immediate neighbours. :)I also got a very welcome leg of organic lamb from one neighbour who farms, in return for a slab of honeycomb!

Nevertheless I was very irritated to find Dutch "organic honey" for sale in a local health food shop for £3.50/lb jar. Not sure what's going on there.

Single market, you could sell in Holland or France if you weren't so expensive.

£2.65 a lb retail for my untreated honey, I really should look at exporting to London.

Chris

Another ridiculous thread, its apples and pears - those that declare and pay tax, those that go by the rules and register with local authority environmental heath teams and trading standards, those that use legal food grade kit, legal correct labels, legal trade scales etc etc etc

And then the rest that are tax dodging hobby beeks who sell 22% water syrup off as honey and then ponder why is 'my honey so cheap' ..... I wonder why lmao :)

hehe, do i believe all that? yeh a little bit

Don't believe any of that could be true? sadly its all based on reality.

Last edited:
Mine is flying out the door @ £5.50 / lb jar. Most customers are buying multiple jars because they know it'll soon be gone (one bought 12 jars). I may revise the price north a bit.

Sold 600lb of good quality honey this morning for £2.90lb,hope the buyer makes a good profit, and comes back for some more.

Mine is £5 a lb and may soon sell out. People are getting worried about this possibility. Will consider raising the price next year.

"I sell my honey for what I would pay for it."

crikey - do you mean that - wouldn't like to calculate what my total outlay was for my 29lbs this season!!!!

"I sell my honey for what I would pay for it."

crikey - do you mean that - wouldn't like to calculate what my total outlay was for my 29lbs this season!!!!

Surely You got more than 29lbs from 19 colonies ? perhaps I was lucky even the nucs I made up and put into full size hives produced this year :hurray:

With the rate at which the number of colonies is increasing in the UK I could see a possible price crash in the near future.

Chris

Latest posts

Back