How Much is Your Honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honey prices

To get back on track the reason why beekeepers don't get a good price for their honey is their failure to market it properly. In particular what always appalls me is the poor labelling and the fact that people still sell honey in 1lb jars. Anyone who buys the ready made labels from TH***** et al and sells honey in 1lb jars is telling the consumer that honey abundant, cheap. Every company with a good brand will spend time and money on a good label. There are a lot of individual designers and design companies out there who can design a label for you. I spent £60.00 which will shock many of you but being in business is different than being a beekeeper and you need to distinguish the two. If you present your product in an unprofessional way don't expect the consumer to pay a good price for your product.

It is a shame that the BBKA does not do more to promote the perceived benefits of British Honey. It would do more to help beekeepers and therefore Honey bees in this country if a portion of everyone's membership fees went on advertising!

what honey !!!
:willy_nilly:

even the superprolofikbuckspinfasts... have not done very well so far!

:Angel_anim:
yes I do have a couple of hives

There are a lot of individual designers and design companies out there who can design a label for you. I spent £60.00 which will shock many of you but being in business is different than being a beekeeper and you need to distinguish the two. If you present your product in an unprofessional way don't expect the consumer to pay a good price for your product.

It's a good point. Could you post a picture of your label?

and the fact that people still sell honey in 1lb jars. Anyone who buys the ready made labels from TH***** et al and sells honey in 1lb jars is telling the consumer that honey abundant, cheap.

what weight does not say that?, 8oz?, 12oz?

Do you think selling in smaller sizes promotes a belief that it is a more sought after product

Yeah, never mind the quality look at the presentation.

To my mind that says it all about society today, all spin....

....and according to ITLD there is a year or more of stock held by producers and bottlers in the UK. Although I'm in France I have a years production on hand most of the time.

Chris

To get back on track the reason why beekeepers don't get a good price for their honey is their failure to market it properly. In particular what always appalls me is the poor labelling and the fact that people still sell honey in 1lb jars. Anyone who buys the ready made labels from TH***** et al and sells honey in 1lb jars is telling the consumer that honey abundant, cheap. Every company with a good brand will spend time and money on a good label. There are a lot of individual designers and design companies out there who can design a label for you. I spent £60.00 which will shock many of you but being in business is different than being a beekeeper and you need to distinguish the two. If you present your product in an unprofessional way don't expect the consumer to pay a good price for your product.

It is a shame that the BBKA does not do more to promote the perceived benefits of British Honey. It would do more to help beekeepers and therefore Honey bees in this country if a portion of everyone's membership fees went on advertising!

I agree i spend time and money to promote my sales to the very best not just on labels but on point of sale I retail my honey @ £4.00 per 8oZ Cut comb £5.00 per very small tub and i do mean small we sell every last drop from sales at the gate and farmers markets never had any complaints regarding the price and a steady flow or repeat customers.
If you marketing looks crap people think it is crap and are only willing to pay low prices with the poor crop this year my prices will increase next year to £10 per pound

A bka just south of me is recommending £7 per lb for local London Honey

~I sell 8oz Hex jars for £3.25 12oz Hex jars for £4.75 and 1lb jars for £6.25 with 25p off if they return a jar (clean) but as i am short of honey this year I am thinking of £3.75/£5/£6.50

1lb jars are most difficult to sell as they dont look much bigger than a 12oz hex, so i will not do any more once i use up the last gross of jar

I am also going to trial this year 2oz hex taster jars for £1 or perhaps £1.25 per jar

Tesco & Waitrose curently sell English set honey (OSR i think) for £3.99 for 12oz. (£5.32/lb) and i refer anyone who asks for it cheeper to our local organic shop who sell Regent Park London honey for £10.95 for 8 oz (£21.90/lb) and other english run honey for £6.19 per lb

http://www.planetorganic.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=honey

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back