Honey prices 2013

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surely helping to increase the bee population is the priority

I don't think there's a shortage of honeybees......

exactly selling honey is a bonus keeping bees is priority

Thank goodness we have more beekeepers. Surely helping to increase the bee population is the priority. Harvesting honey is a privilege. Let's not get greedy

More like a high risk sport. Lol.

We all put money into keeping bees in one way or another. We are all helping to keep the population of honey bees as high as is possible and therefore helping with pollinating local crops.
I don't see selling the honey I harvest as being greedy.

I am serving several needs in my new found hobby and supplying uncontaminated honey from a local source is just two of them a little cash back will pay for the next lot of supplies I need as I said before it will be a long time before the initial outlay is recouped. I think this will be the same for most beekeepers. I have a guest staying with me at the moment who was surprised at the amount of hard work it takes to get the honey to the jar and the small amount that I would get for the years harvest. I can earn more as a gardener for the same number of hours I put in as a beekeeper and that does not take into account attendance at meetings. Then there is the cost of cleaning down suiting up for bottling and packaging to take into account. I reckon I am getting less than minimum wage for this years harvest. How about anyone elsebeekeeping on a small scale .

Selling at the door 340g for 4.95 jar or cut comb in a Poundland food container. ...

"Poundland food container" ... ? Is that a quid of extra cost?
T's new-style cut comb containers really do look the business and cost 13p each (based on 50).

Honey Prices

Hi,
I have a Beekeeper neighbour who sells his honey for £2.00 a Pound. He will not put prices up to a sensible level. He is quite happy to sell at £2.00. We are on very good terms and he had been keeping Bees for 30 years or more. He says his retiring soon he is 75 years old. I sell my honey at £5 per pound but not around here !. I have actually purchased honey from him to sell on. He has had loads of Honey this year. Hope he retires soon !

At £2 per lb that is an insult to the bees

Craig

Yep but I presume they are on about £2 in a jar

Craig

"Poundland food container" ... ? Is that a quid of extra cost?
T's new-style cut comb containers really do look the business and cost 13p each (based on 50).

Well I needed containers in a hurry and they were a pound for eight so not bad. I was experimenting with frames sans foundation and got a result and I needed to get frames back in the hive.
I intend to order the T pro. containers for next year with my ill gotten gains.
got fantastic labels from T. and they moved the print around to my instructions so don't have anything against them.

Are we allowed to do that?

How do you think the supermarkets do it?

You cannot claim the honey is something it is not. So for instance my honey label says Greenhill girl's honey Which is correct As both I and the bees live in Greenhill. If I bought honey from someone in Devon and labeled it with my label that would be fraud I think but there might be legal argument about that as I would have purchased it and it would then be my property. Depends where you put the ' whether it is mine or the bees'.

If you bought honey from outside the area and labeled it Local that would also be fraud, similarly with honey that was labeled with a specific flower mentioned that did not have the majority of nectar from that flower.

I was more thinking about the aspect of selling it as yours... I'm guess then as ME said, you'd buy it labelled then sell it on?

I was more thinking about the aspect of selling it as yours... I'm guess then as ME said, you'd buy it labelled then sell it on?

You can buy honey off anyone and sell it on as long as the label is not misleading. You dont have to buy it labelled you can buy it in a bucket then jar it yourself if you wanted to.

You can buy honey off anyone and sell it on as long as the label is not misleading. You dont have to buy it labelled you can buy it in a bucket then jar it yourself if you wanted to.

So if I bought it off someone in Essex and then jarred it up and sold it in London as something like countryside honey with my address on it, that's ok?

Yep as I said as long as the label does not mislead you will be ok. i.e selling English honey as Welsh honey

Back