Honey prices 2013

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnyRaes

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 planned, in reality 7 + 1 nuc + 1 A/S into a commercial for a friend
Sensitive subject I'm sure, but.... We seem to recall that the rough price of a pound of honey last year was around about £5-£6. Whilst I've not seen any ultra local honey on sale in any of the shops yet, the fairly local stuff seems to be going for around about £4.25 - £5, or the international honey in Holland and Barrett was £3.50/lb.

Have honey prices gone down this year, or have we just nor really seen the local honey hit the market? We've got 300lb of the stuff to get rid of, and we don't want to under or over price it, but sense we might have over-priced our first attempt at selling to the pub (£5/lb) - he did seem rather surprised at the price, but it's what we sold it to them for last year :/

One of the biggest problems is that there are so many more beekeepers now. They also seem to sell their honey well below what they should be.

Craig

Everywhere around me for some miles (Shropshire/Welsh borders) is around £5.50 lb. Where local beeks are supplying retailers, the price jumps to £6.95 in one case I have seen - fractionally less in other shops. I sell at £5 at the door and Country Markets sell my stuff at £5.20 lb but take 12% commission - and it is going like hot cakes so far this year due to the huge winter losses and the late spring with the consequent honey shortage availability.

Last edited:
Do not compromise the price of your quality, premium product. If they want cheap, let them go and buy cheap.

Ahh good, that's comforting! At least we don't have the guy at work selling his honey for £2.50-£3/lb this year like he did last year - so far...! That was a down point after last years harvest...

Last edited:
at £2.50lb I would have bought it all off him and sold it on lol

Do not compromise the price of your quality, premium product. If they want cheap, let them go and buy cheap.

I agree!
Last year I had no problems selling at £5 per 1/2lb, this year as I've got a lot more honey I've put the price at £4 per 1/2lb and so far sold half without any need to try and sell it! The people come to me.

im getting £3.50 8oz and £5 12oz no problem at all

I agree!
Last year I had no problems selling at £5 per 1/2lb, this year as I've got a lot more honey I've put the price at £4 per 1/2lb and so far sold half without any need to try and sell it! The people come to me.

You agree but you are selling at £1 less than last year ?

Craig

one pound jars of premier Welsh mountain honey for a fiver, take it or leave it

The National Beekeeping Centre for Wales (bodnant) is selling 1lb jars for £7. When I was there on 23 sept having a chat they mentioned they were looking for suppliers (must be welsh honey) so maybe a good outlet for someone.

Selling mine from the door @£5 a 1lb jar and to a little village shop @£3-50 a 1lb jar which they are retailing @£5-50

Selling at the door 340g for 4.95 jar or cut comb in a Poundland food container. Only a small supply this,first, year. Made my own signs (acrylic on canvas, hung on a defunct frame for a sun lounger on the grass verge.
Gave first supplies to family and friends. Orders now coming in. Though it will take a long time to recoup the outlay on equipment I am finding it fascinating, pleasing,puzzling and at times harrowing. The best bit is when they say don't bother about the change. that is next to dipping in to the offcuts bucket for a sweet treat and putting honey in my yogurt and tea lovely on ice cream with raspberry, from the garden, sauce.

Last edited:
Thank goodness we have more beekeepers. Surely helping to increase the bee population is the priority. Harvesting honey is a privilege. Let's not get greedy

Latest posts

Back