Caster sugar... does it matter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But it's okay to use this stuff for plugs in queen introduction cages?
Easy enough to grind some ordinary sugar finely (grinder or mortar & pestle) plus a bit of honey or syrup if you only need small amounts.

Easy enough to grind some ordinary sugar finely (grinder or mortar & pestle) plus a bit of honey or syrup if you only need small amounts.

Best way is dilute the sugar into water 1:2.

The bees must carry first water to the hive that they can lick the dry sugar.

The standard advice is to use granulated sugar to feed bees - presumably because there are additives in finer sugars.

I have access to a vast quantity of sugar (at no cost other than shovelling it out of 750kg bags)
I’m interested to know how you have access to so much free sugar. Would you be willing to tell us. Stored properly it should keep indefinitely. I would be working out where to store the 750kg bags 😉

I’m interested to know how you have access to so much free sugar. Would you be willing to tell us. Stored properly it should keep indefinitely. I would be working out where to store the 750kg bags 😉
After the freight charge you'd incur from one end of the UK to the other, any suggestion of 'free' would be a myth. I remember a friend who lived on the Isle of Canna in the Inner Hebrides saying that everything cost twice as much as on the mainland. I baulked at that, thinking of what she would have to pay for tins of cat food. However, she would have had to manage without a vet and saved a bit there.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...is-barking-up-a-promising-tree?ref=biztoc.com

I know all about freight charges at this end of the country. When the appliance dealer’s say “spend X amount and get free carriage” we are always excluded. The freight for jars is even worse and adds a significant amount to their cost!
Sorry if you thought I was after free sugar and I wasn’t expecting you to disclose your source. I was just wondering why so much is surplus to requirements. With the number of hives you have it must be a godsend for you.

Last edited:
Nothing to apologise about! The story is almost bizarre. A member at a neighbouring association (where I'm an associate member) asked a local food company if they would like to restore their old practice of giving a bag of sugar to the local BKA. And when they turned up to collect, they were offered nine bags - over 7 tonnes.

They had to manage the delivery themselves but they have farm vehicles, so it was possible. Now, they just have to shift it. Oddly, either because BKA members don't read their newsletters, or because they couldn't believe what they were reading, only three of us turned up that morning to collect. Somebody did ask if I was confident that my old Mondeo was up to the task.

EDIT I've not answered your question. I can't imagine why the company have so much to give away.

Nothing to apologise about! The story is almost bizarre. A member at a neighbouring association (where I'm an associate member) asked a local food company if they would like to restore their old practice of giving a bag of sugar to the local BKA. And when they turned up to collect, they were offered nine bags - over 7 tonnes.

They had to manage the delivery themselves but they have farm vehicles, so it was possible. Now, they just have to shift it. Oddly, either because BKA members don't read their newsletters, or because they couldn't believe what they were reading, only three of us turned up that morning to collect. Somebody did ask if I was confident that my old Mondeo was up to the task.

EDIT I've not answered your question. I can't imagine why the company have so much to give away.
need a hand shifting it ? ;)

There must be vegetarian ones, surely?

James
Not in Sainsbury's. I see theirs have beef gelatine in them. Reminds me that the emulsion in old film used beef gelatine. It had to be beef because cows like mustard and that gave the emulsion the qualities it needed. Just think: if cows didn't like mustard we might never have been able to go to the movies. :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back