Caster sugar... does it matter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeKeyPlayer

From Rainham, Medway (North Kent) UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 plus 12 owned by others
The standard advice is to use granulated sugar to feed bees - presumably because there are additives in finer sugars.

I have access to a vast quantity of sugar (at no cost other than shovelling it out of 750kg bags) but I can see that it is finer than granulated sugar.

Does it matter? Can I save myself a lot of money without doing the bees any harm?

EDIT I've just looked at a pack of caster sugar and it doesn't list ingredients at all. I see that the labelling requirements state: 'products consisting of a single ingredient where the name of the food is the same as the name of the ingredient or clearly identifies what the ingredient is (for example, peanuts or eggs)'. I don't know if I can infer that nothing has been added to sugar if nothing is listed.

Last edited:
ca
The standard advice is to use granulated sugar to feed bees - presumably because there are additives in finer sugars.

I have access to a vast quantity of sugar (at no cost other than shovelling it out of 750kg bags) but I can see that it is finer than granulated sugar.

Does it matter? Can I save myself a lot of money without doing the bees any harm?

EDIT I've just looked at a pack of caster sugar and it doesn't list ingredients at all. I see that the labelling requirements state: 'products consisting of a single ingredient where the name of the food is the same as the name of the ingredient or clearly identifies what the ingredient is (for example, peanuts or eggs)'. I don't know if I can infer that nothing has been added to sugar if nothing is listed.
caster sugar is just finely ground sugar, so it's fine for the bees - it's only icing sugar that has additives. My grandmother never bought caster sugar but used a coffee grinder attachment to her Kenwood mixer (a freebie, when she bought it - she hardly ever drank coffee, especially not the twee stuff) to grind ordinary sugar to a finer grain.

ca

caster sugar is just finely ground sugar, so it's fine for the bees - it's only icing sugar that has additives. My grandmother never bought caster sugar but used a coffee grinder attachment to her Kenwood mixer (a freebie, when she bought it - she hardly ever drank coffee, especially not the twee stuff) to grind ordinary sugar to a finer grain.
My mother was the same, when she needed caster sugar for a recipe she used to blitz granulated with an early food processor.

The only drawback of sugar is that the finer it is, the greater its affinity for water (hygroscopic). So in a hive and with high humidity, if the bees do not decide to process it quickly, they may encounter sticky handling.

The only drawback of sugar is that the finer it is, the greater its affinity for water (hygroscopic). So in a hive and with high humidity, if the bees do not decide to process it quickly, they may encounter sticky handling.
Not if it’s dissolved in water.

The only drawback of sugar is that the finer it is, the greater its affinity for water (hygroscopic).
which is exactly what you want when making syrup
waterproof being pretty pointless whether making bee feed or afternoon tea

I don't think may simlpy pour fine sugar in to colonies for feed , as for varroa treatment it is a pretty useless waste of time and sugar.

Is there a difference in the process?
the supermarket 'fondant' isn't fondant, it's fondant icing, so the same additives as you get in icing sugar
The fondant you buy for bees - whether the reasonably priced bakers' fondant or the stupidly expensive fondant made for bees - which is just bakers fondant with either a) a dab of fairy dust to gull the hard of thinking or b) bog standard bakers fondant with a picture of a bee on the box. Is just powdered sugar mixed with a bit of glucose syrup and water.

the supermarket 'fondant' isn't fondant, it's fondant icing, so the same additives as you get in icing sugar
The fondant you buy for bees - whether the reasonably priced bakers' fondant or the stupidly expensive fondant made for bees - which is just bakers fondant with either a) a dab of fairy dust to gull the hard of thinking or b) bog standard bakers fondant with a picture of a bee on the box. Is just powdered sugar mixed with a bit of glucose syrup and water.
But it's okay to use this stuff for plugs in queen introduction cages?

Thank you I didn't realise. I haven't given fondant from the supermarket but that's good to know.

that much won't harm them, the 'traditional' recipe for candy plugs was icing sugar made into a stiff paste with honey - but why not just use baker's fondant?

Last edited:
The icing sugar I have used in the past had starch added. Probably not a problem when they can leave the hive to defecate, but might be a problem for winter feed. The fondant I bought last year for the bees is just powdered sugar and glucose syrup.

Nope I’ve used it in queen cages before the bees don’t like the caking agent in it, I’ve also tried using it for queen rearing it mostly got left alone, and it goes rock hard very quickly just use normal fondant from a good supplier.
I use thisOrganic fondant

Latest posts

Back