Botulism

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkranger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 Nats and 1 tbh
Do any of you print a warning on your jars "not to be given to infants under 1 year old" ?

Yes. Don't think its an actual legal requirement, but just seems a sensible thing to do...

Perhaps ALL potatoes should be individually wrapped and have a warning on an individual label stating product must be washed /peeled/cooked before eating..... and carrots, beans, parsnips, sprouts etc
bit like the label on my Harley-Davidson battery... DO NOT DRINK THE LIQUID

:iagree::hairpull:
Perhaps ALL potatoes should be individually wrapped and have a warning on an individual label stating product must be washed /peeled/cooked before eating..... and carrots, beans, parsnips, sprouts etc

Yes. Don't think its an actual legal requirement, but just seems a sensible thing to do...

In which case it would also be sensible to put a warning on infant formula milk which has a comparable history.

The fact is botulism spores have NEVER been found in UK honey so why is such a blanket unsuitability statement justified?

I wondered why my mashed potato was brown not white

I wondered why my mashed potato was brown not white

and they answer is no, i dont add the infant warning but would if i could get cheap stickers

Honey on a dummy could have killed tot in Scotland

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/scottishnews/2713099/Scottish-baby-contracts-botulism.html

Exclusive

MYRA PHILP

Published: 04th November 2009

BOTULISM is a rare but horrible disease.

It’s carried by bacteria called clostridium botulinum. The bacteria themselves don’t cause symptoms but they make a poison called botulinum toxin which paralyses nerves and muscles.

It’s estimated that just one gramme of it could kill a million people.

Contaminated canned foods can contain botulinum toxin. As spores, the infection can enter the body through wounds.

Babies are prone to catching botulism because their digestive system is unable to kill off the spores.

Honey can contain spores. Babies are at risk if given it before they are one.

All parents should know about this danger but, sadly, the practice of dipping a dummy in honey lives on.

THE baby fighting for his life with botulism could have caught it from sucking a dummy which had been dipped in honey, it emerged last night.

Little Logan Douglas was left paralysed by a potentially deadly toxin — one of the most poisonous known to man.

It can be caught from food including honey — often used to soothe kids — which has carried a health warning since 1978 saying it should not be given to tots under a year old.

Last night Logan was on a ventilator in Edinburgh Sick Kids hospital where he was taken after being admitted to hospital in Kirkcaldy six weeks ago.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...sh-baby-contracts-botulism.html#ixzz2EOL7NwzE

Last edited:

Stephen

I don't know whether honey contains botulism spores or not but if it does I don't want any responsibility for the effects of it on a child. Honey has a reputation as a healthy food and I imagine the majority of parents would not hesitate to feed it to infants. If there is any chance that it is harmful to children under one year old, are we not morally obliged to ensure that parents, at least, are made aware. There is certainly plenty of mentions of botulism in honey on the internet including that from the USAD.

No i dont, No i wont. As you can get the damn stuff as an injection for lip fillers or removing wrinkles, if they ban that then i will put the labels on my jars.

We are also the UK not the US so i dont follow USDA advice they do enough damage to the UK as it is.

Poor little boy, I hope he will be ok, I would hate to think that my honey could have done that, Things like that are a wake up call and perhaps we should think about it after all foods containing nuts have a warning. I will certainly be telling my customers next year

Back in the second decade of the second half of the last century my bacteriology tutor had a soapbox from which he would preach to new mothers the dangers of dummies being dropped onto the pavement and put back into babies mouth.
"There are more infant deaths due to dirty dummies dipped in dogshit"... he would rant!

Needless to say none of my four children ever had dummies!

Why on Earth would a mother give her infant a dummy dipped in honey?

....well said, icanhopit

that's why I don't allow any dog sh!t near my honey so I don't need a label!

Unfortunately some are not as wise as others, there are a lot of young single mums out there who are not much older than babies

Back in the second decade of the second half of the last century my bacteriology tutor had a soapbox from which he would preach to new mothers the dangers of dummies being dropped onto the pavement and put back into babies mouth.
"There are more infant deaths due to dirty dummies dipped in dogshit"... he would rant!

Needless to say none of my four children ever had dummies!

QUOTE]

That's why I've never dipped my sister's kids dummies in dog sh!t - let's havea sense of proportion here :D
Oh., sorry i've just realised it's the 21st century and we have david cameron in charge of the country kow towing to that bland id!tot nick clegg - what chance do we have :hairpull::willy_nilly:

Let's see what cuts politicians get next year after all it is public money that pays their wages, and what the chancellor wants is more cuts in public spending.............. or are they exempt ?

Let's see what cuts politicians get next year after all it is public money that pays their wages, and what the chancellor wants is more cuts in public spending.............. or are they exempt ?

Yep - they're exempt - same as the smoking in public places law doesn't apply in the commons bar

In which case it would also be sensible to put a warning on infant formula milk which has a comparable history.

The fact is botulism spores have NEVER been found in UK honey so why is such a blanket unsuitability statement justified?

:iagree:

No point anyway - hardly any of them can read at that age :biggrinjester:

All parents should know about this danger but, sadly, the practice of dipping a dummy in honey lives on.

probably the same parents who didnt have their infants immunised against whooping cough and MMR.

Honey is probably perceived as one of the most healthy foods available in shops and supermarkets and I imagine that less than 1 % of the parents have ever heard of the risk of feeding honey to infants under one year old. I have no idea whether the risk is real or not but major producers put a warning on their honey such as "not suitable for children under 1" and maybe it is incumbent on as as prouducers/sellers to do the same - to be on the safe side!
I would be horrified to think that any child was made ill, or worse, by consuming my honey. I am at a loss to understand how the thread migrated to dog s**t!

Latest posts

Back