Asian hornet APP

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have the new Asian hornet app on your smartphone

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
probably having a cheeky kip in a cauliflower shipped over from France to a distribution hub then bound for a supermarket somewhere

I can hear the clutching of pearls from here already

I saw Nigel give the same chat to the BFA on Thursday. Very informative but would have loved to have more conclusive DNA evidence.
couldn't make it unfortunately although I passed through London Bridge station on Tuesday on my way home from Croydon and thought it was a pity I couldn't have swung it to stay up there for another few days, unfortunately, other commitments plus a general reluctance to spending too much time in London made it impossible

Last edited:
couldn't make it unfortunately although I passed through London Bridge station on Tuesday on my way home from Croydon on Tuesday and thought it was a pity I couldn't have swung it to stay up there for another few days, unfortunately, other commitments plus a general reluctance to spending too much time in London made it impossible
Pity, it would have been good to chat 😊

I don’t understand why anyone would use anything other than the official NNSS APP. I assume that the creator is on this forum, so they can explain the rational.
If they aren’t in this forum then they are a bit ignorant of how beekeepers are organised in the Uk and how we work with the NBU/APHA/DEFRA

Last edited:
One thing that troubles me in all this is the risk from nefarious actors. Rumours abound of unscrupulous pest controllers releasing bed bugs on busy public transport in big cities to seed business. Not a big jump to vv.

I don’t understand why anyone would use anything other than the official NNSS APP. I assume that the creator is on this forum, so they can explain the rational.
If they aren’t in this forum then they are a bit ignorant of how beekeepers are organised in the Uk and how we work with the NBU/APHA/DEFRA
Yes beats me.
I asked and this is what I got

It has been developed independently of NBU to allow community volunteers to help deal with Asian hornet sightings and nest tracing in the likely event that AH numbers continue to grow exponentially. It is free to use for anyone. You can report a sighting anonymously or register as a volunteer to assist in various capacities from just reporting sightings through laying traps and eventually assisting with nest tracing if volumes become unmanageable for NBU

The person behind it is on this forum. He was very active in promoting awareness in Kent last year, I imagine this came about because of some frustrating interactions with the NBU.
I assumed so. It will be interesting what the NBU have to say about it. Pity it wasn’t up and running when I was chatting to a couple of NBU guys last week.

I imagine this came about because of some frustrating interactions with the NBU.
or just the need to be the centre of attention

It will be interesting what the NBU have to say about it. Pity it wasn’t up and running when I was chatting to a couple of NBU guys last week.
by the chatter I'm picking up - not very impressed at all

I got an invite to join but am wary as the original email said I reported a sighting, which I didn’t.
The last sighting seems to have been at FERA Science, convenient? 🤣
If you were “invited” presumably by email I would be asking where they got your address from and looking at a potential GDPR breach

That was my guess 😄
one of the entomologists who do the official confirmations for the NBU has actually waded in and asked people not to play as it will really confuse the information stream and probably lead to genuine reports being missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back