Asian hornet APP

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have the new Asian hornet app on your smartphone

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a wick monitoring trap please? Is it a commercial product or are they home made? Being in Kent I'm thinking I should be doing something this year and at the moment this seems to be the recommended approach?
I and some others from our local group attended a Suffolk AHAT meeting yesterday with Andrew Durham, Lynne Ingram and Peter Davies as speakers. It's rather scary how the YLH has spread in Belgium and France and sad that authorities are from now only attending nests below 5 metres (probably because of attacks from nests disturbed in brambles, near playgrounds etc). The consensus was that we're not yet doomed, providing that we all try to do our bit to inform the public to be aware and recognise these blighters. The DNA report is supposedly out on 1 February, so we should know how many are new incursions eg via trucks, ferries, camper vans ....... apparently one woman found one in her van and just threw it out! All ferries should carry posters as should all ports. Boxes of posters can be ordered from the NBU and can be given out at shows, farmers' markets etc. If we all took a few posters to our local RSPB reserve and told them that one YLH nest could eat 10K insects in a year, thus reducing their bird populations and thus their income, perhaps they'd be incentivised to spend some of their vast monies on spotting nests.

Regarding our own hives, it was suggested that we try to reduce the stress of our bees using museliers - 12.5mm mesh was recommended. Andrew Durham was very adamant that anyone in Kent should install these in apiaries this year. He was quite hopeful that those of us further inland would probably be safe this year, but that we should be ready with wick jars. He suggested a jaycloth soaked in Suterra poking out of a lidded takeaway cup. Once monitored, then was the time to use your app and get them tracked down by the NBU. Apparently Pete Davies, the Eastern Region Bee Inspector, spent 3 - 4 months in Kent supervising Kent's crisis. (Don't shoot the messenger, please).

Andrew Durham is betting there will be local female founders in Kent this year following the recommendation?

Andrew Durham is betting there will be local female founders in Kent this year following the recommendation?
He's not convinced that there aren't some lurking, unfound somewhere and if we have a warm February ............ What we need is another Beast from the East in March to catch them out, but on the other hand, that isn't good for our bees.:(

I and some others from our local group attended a Suffolk AHAT meeting yesterday with Andrew Durham, Lynne Ingram and Peter Davies as speakers. It's rather scary how the YLH has spread in Belgium and France and sad that authorities are from now only attending nests below 5 metres (probably because of attacks from nests disturbed in brambles, near playgrounds etc).

Given that the authorities are scaling down direct nest eradication you'd think they might approve use of FC.

The consensus was that we're not yet doomed, providing that we all try to do our bit to inform the public to be aware and recognise these blighters. The DNA report is supposedly out on 1 February, so we should know how many are new incursions eg via trucks, ferries, camper vans ....... apparently one woman found one in her van and just threw it out! All ferries should carry posters as should all ports. Boxes of posters can be ordered from the NBU and can be given out at shows, farmers' markets etc. If we all took a few posters to our local RSPB reserve and told them that one YLH nest could eat 10K insects in a year, thus reducing their bird populations and thus their income, perhaps they'd be incentivised to spend some of their vast monies on spotting nests.

I wouldn't get too despondent. There are very few naturally occuring concentrated food sources in the UK which makes hives excellent sentinel locations for monitoring velutina. I very much doubt that there will be many 'hidden' velutina colonies that are not detected at one hive or another. So bad in one way and good in another. Bad that velutina will come to hives. Good that they will be easy to detect without relying on members of the public. In fact, I would suggest concentrating purely on educating beekeepers, pest controllers, game keepers, forestry and agricultural workers. Members of the public are likely to raise too many false sightings which will simply distract the NBU from the job at hand.

Regarding our own hives, it was suggested that we try to reduce the stress of our bees using museliers - 12.5mm mesh was recommended. Andrew Durham was very adamant that anyone in Kent should install these in apiaries this year. He was quite hopeful that those of us further inland would probably be safe this year, but that we should be ready with wick jars. He suggested a jaycloth soaked in Suterra poking out of a lidded takeaway cup. Once monitored, then was the time to use your app and get them tracked down by the NBU. Apparently Pete Davies, the Eastern Region Bee Inspector, spent 3 - 4 months in Kent supervising Kent's crisis. (Don't shoot the messenger, please).
Top advice in my humble opinion, i.e. not to spring trap but to use bait stations instead.

Last edited:
He's not convinced that there aren't some lurking, unfound somewhere and if we have a warm February ............ What we need is another Beast from the East in March to catch them out, but on the other hand, that isn't good for our bees.:(
We need a warm February to kill them off. If they come out of hibernation in February when there's little in the way of naturally available carbohydrate sources they'll starve and die. Harsh winters keep vespines in hibernation until March/April when nectar starts to flow which is the go to food for emerging queens. No nectar no queens.

We need a warm February to kill them off. If they come out of hibernation in February when there's little in the way of naturally available carbohydrate sources they'll starve and die. Harsh winters keep vespines in hibernation until March/April when nectar starts to flow which is the go to food for emerging queens. No nectar no queens.
The problem with a species not adapted to the climate is that its winter lifting range is much greater precisely to find the optimum.
By the way, there are more carbohydrates in nature than nectar. By the way, this year the acacia dealbata already has flower at this point (15/20 days in advance) and the camellias will be ready in mid-February.
If the vespines do not rise until mid-March, what would be the probability of a bycatch from February 1 to mid-March?
Furthermore, if captures were reported in this month and a half, wouldn't they prepare a map where to concentrate more resources and equipment?

The problem with a species not adapted to the climate is that its winter lifting range is much greater precisely to find the optimum.
You do talk rubbish. Velutina can no sooner cheat physics than you can fly by simply flapping your arms! Given your personal experience with velutina which has been horrible, everyone sympathisizes with you and understands why you are flapping. That does not mean however that the UK should flap with you especially because our cold air gives less thermal lift.
By the way, there are more carbohydrates in nature than nectar. By the way, this year the acacia dealbata already has flower at this point (15/20 days in advance) and the camellias will be ready in mid-February.
That's what happens when you live by the Med in a warm climate. We've just had minus 8°C frosts. It'll be a while yet before our day time temperatures reach 10°C in the shade for vespines to really stir.
If the vespines do not rise until mid-March, what would be the probability of a bycatch from February 1 to mid-March?
Furthermore, if captures were reported in this month and a half, wouldn't they prepare a map where to concentrate more resources and equipment?
So what you are now advocating is that beekeepers put up traps in the knowledge that they won't catch anything, just like babbles on a Christmas tree.

Are you sure you don't have a vested commercial interest selling velutina traps?

well when I spoke to the RBI who was down there over the summer, she said it wasn't
They were indeed found in Brambles on the side of the Kent Cliffs and access was extremely difficult for the teams tracking.
This information is being briefed in lectures and conferences about the AH and is in the public domain. Sadly its not myth but the reality of the challenges that we will face.
Our beekeeping colleagues in Kent are very concerned.
We need to wait for NBU guidance and next steps. This will come as soon as the genetic testing on the nests that were destroyed is competed. This testing will clarify the scale of breeding queens, if any, in the UK and that knowledge will be used for the action planning going forward.
Worrying times.

DEFRA that decides the policy and strategy whilst the NBU then carries this out with the resources they are given
Yes, and as DEFRA is fed crumbs by a Gov. whose policies focus on louder demands, short-attention election cycles, cashflow cutbacks and general inertia, the NBU is likely to struggle to gain an increase in funding that could lead to an effective and timely strategy.

It is of course useful to educate the public to recognise and report, but equally as urgent to educate the Government to accept that this issue is not one that will affect only parochial backwater beekeepers, but one that has the capacity to destabilise the environment and impact food productivity significantly.

That last burden will weigh heavily on the future of ordinary people while struggling to carry the consequences of other global crises, and authorities have a duty to lead, and to get to grips with the distant future as much as the Corporal Jones present.

Last edited:
It's either a monitor or a trap, it can't be both. A wick monitor is just a jar (or similar) with attractant in it, make a hole in the lid and stick some fabric through that sits in the attractant, allowing it to be slowly made available. The attractant lasts longer, it doesn't get diluted by rain and there is no risk of insects drowning.

Once asian hornets have found a good food source (the attractant) they will keep returning to it.
Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't twigged the conflicting terminology! I'm going to try the Suterra and reuse a centre feed wipe dispenser in 2 sites where I can keep an eye on the visitors. What time of year are people putting these out?
Another post on here mentions the hive guard muselier for those in Kent. Does anyone have any thoughts/preferences on these? Is there a DIY option?

Another post on here mentions the hive guard muselier for those in Kent
I think that's jumping the gun waaay too far until there is concrete evidence of Velutina hawking hives I wouldn't be putting all that money in the equipment suppliers' pockets for an expensive ornament

https://x-y.es/aemet/ca-galicia#indice2Here you can consult data. In the last 30 days there have been minimum temperatures below -5°C and even daily maximums close to 0°C.
By the way, humid air provides less lift than cold, dry air.
You assume that they will not catch anything but what is the problem of putting it and making a mistake, without a doubt, none and you will be able to obtain more information.
I already said that I have no interest, however you have launched the subliminal idea of an authorized use of FC
Subliminal in the UK is where FC needs to remain until such time if at all that velutina gains any foot hold which exceeds the resources of the NBU. Subliminal is good because the conversation has sparked formal third party interest into researching the safety of the method. It will be interesting to see what comes of the research.

Subliminal in the UK is where FC needs to remain until such time if at all that velutina gains any foot hold which exceeds the resources of the NBU. Subliminal is good because the conversation has sparked formal third party interest into researching the safety of the method. It will be interesting to see what comes of the research.
Interesting that someone is looking at this method objectively.

Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't twigged the conflicting terminology! I'm going to try the Suterra and reuse a centre feed wipe dispenser in 2 sites where I can keep an eye on the visitors. What time of year are people putting these out?
Another post on here mentions the hive guard muselier for those in Kent. Does anyone have any thoughts/preferences on these? Is there a DIY option?
Queens will start to emerge from hibernation when there have been three days straight at 13C, it will probably take a month for them all to emerge. Queens will initially forage before building an embryo nest, the first workers won't emerge until May (the first round of workers can take 50 days from egg to emergence). Migration across the channel any time from mid February onwards. Queens have been found out and about until mid July in Jersey in previous years.

Happy hunting.

Queens will start to emerge from hibernation when there have been three days straight at 13C, it will probably take a month for them all to emerge. Queens will initially forage before building an embryo nest, the first workers won't emerge until May (the first round of workers can take 50 days from egg to emergence). Migration across the channel any time from mid February onwards. Queens have been found out and about until mid July in Jersey in previous years.

Happy hunting.
Just to add that that is at the location of where the queens are hibernating. So with vespines we have seen queens emerging from south facing dark buildings earlier than north facing light buildings. Depending on weather conditions this amounts to emergence happening concertedly over a few days or over a few months. 2012 I believe it was where we had protracted temperatures in the low teens from March to June which witnessed upto three months disparity in nest development in the same species.

For info:

DEFRA update
On Thursday 24th January the National Bee Unit notified us that they had received a credible sighting of a lone Asian hornet in Hastings, East Sussex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back