A beekeepers christmas day

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[ christmas comes but once a year ]

christmas comes
but once a year ,
so give a little
while its here,

do not forget those
laid to rest,
while stuffing your face
with turkey breast,

for tears of joy
from girls and boys
thanking saint nick
begin to annoy

as christmas costs
so what do you tell
the kid with no present
"You're going to hell"

he went to church
he praised the lord
he fed the homeless
he gave to the poor

no matter how giving
he's poor born and bred
christmas is commercial
I don't believe its dead

hope it amuses you ©, Chris meades 1980.

Well what a Christmas eve kitchen is finished just about a bit of snagging finishing tutches, it's the first time in a few weeks the house is in some sort of order, at least I can cook Christmas Dinner. Hope everyone enjoys there Christmas holidays 16403696712617705598646870958296.jpg

I hope you have a good Christmas Finnie. Does your family have the custom of all sitting in the sauna together, then going out and rolling naked in the snow?❄🌨
First I laughed...then I realised how scary an idea that was. Or maybe that's just my family....! :cautious:

Well what a Christmas eve kitchen is finished just about a bit of snagging finishing tutches, it's the first time in a few weeks the house is in some sort of order, at least I can cook Christmas Dinner. Hope everyone enjoys there Christmas holidays View attachment 29602
Nice tidy job .... well done - you got there just in time then ?

You will probably come to hate those Oak surfaces ... I certainly do mine - absolute beggar to stop them going black around the sink. You need lots of oil on them before you use them too much and very regular top ups. I've tried all sorts but the one I use these days which seems to give the best protection and doesn't build up too much is the IKEA one:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/stockaryd-wood-treatment-oil-indoor-use-20240462/

I’ll second that. I hate my wooden worktops fir that very reason. We tossed out the butler sink and replaced it with a composite one with a draining board.

Does your family have the custom of all sitting in the sauna together, then going out and rolling naked in the snow?❄🌨
We tried that once but then aunty Myfanwy got her left t!t stuck in the doorjamb and uncle Islwyn laughed so much he sat on the sauna stones.

They do look nice though but nobody tells you how difficult it is to maintain them. I’d like glass if I could afford it.
After five years I had to take a belt sander and palm sander to mine - they came up like new but what a job .. we have 13 lineal metres of them in our kitchen and now four years on and they need doing again in places. Nightmare - never again !

I invested in some of these to protect the areas either side of the sink and either side of the cooker .. great investment as it does protect the surfaces but .. rather defeats the look of the wood !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silicone-T...640373883&sprefix=silicon+mat,aps,137&sr=8-16

Merry Christmas from Down Under. :)
Coolish morning here in Tas, forecast max, a mild 21. It's just after 7am and I can see the bees flying.
Perth (WA) today, 42 degrees and 43 tomorrow....nasty....and tropical cyclone watch for Darwin.:eek:

Nice tidy job .... well done - you got there just in time then ?

You will probably come to hate those Oak surfaces ... I certainly do mine - absolute beggar to stop them going black around the sink. You need lots of oil on them before you use them too much and very regular top ups. I've tried all sorts but the one I use these days which seems to give the best protection and doesn't build up too much is the IKEA one:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/stockaryd-wood-treatment-oil-indoor-use-20240462/
Aye i hate the oak already and the Belfast not my choice, I would of preferred a metal sink and a marble worktop or stone.

Aye i hate the oak already and the Belfast not my choice, I would of preferred a metal sink and a marble worktop or stone.
Hi Curly,

We have the same oak worktops and after five years are still good. We used Osmo oil and have found it excellent. We’ve not had any problem with tannins either. After five years it is getting to need a mild sanding back and a recoat, but I expected that and we are really pleased with it.

Horses for courses I suppose. Good luck with the cooking - don’t get grease on the unsealed worktop!

Latest posts

Back