A beekeepers christmas day

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's cheaper than Northern Bee books just had a look
That's because Amazon undercut all the competition. Till there is no competition.😳

Clive de Bruyn (member of our LBKA) always asks people where they bought his book when they ask him to sign it. He won't sign if they bought from Amazon.

God and I buy all my books from amazon hate shopping and queuing, free delivery and no car parking fee. But you have a valid point!!

Last edited:
although at 86 everyone else at the party was at least four years younger than her!
I had a Grandmother like that. She used to help take the wheelchair bound 'old people ' on trips. She was at least ten years older than most of them. It had to stop when she forgot a client who was left on Brighton Pier one day....

Anyone made their own Christmas cake? ashamed to say I haven't, but I always used to!!!
Made a Dundee cake again this year and thought the tin looked rather full compared to previous years then an hour after I put it in the oven I remembered I only make half the mix out of the be-ro book. Never mind I just have a very tall cake.

It has been fascinating to view the various contributions to this discussion thread. Christmas time was always a special time for me during my childhood, during the heat of summer, and there were a couple of special delights when it came to the meals on Christmas Day. Christmas Pudding was a kind of “boiled fruit cake” pudding, which was served with white sauce that was a bit like runny custard, but flavoured with Sweet Sherry wine. The other delight was “once-in-a-year” home-made ginger beer, which was brewed with hops, ginger, and yeast, to produce a slightly alcoholic soft drink which was VERY fizzy. One year the warm weather promoted the brewing process so well that the pressure in one glass bottle was sufficient to break the bottle, which exploded with lots of glass shards. Unfortunately a number of the other bottles standing close by were not strong enough to withstand the impact of those bits of flying glass, and they joined in with a staccato of similar explosions.

The concept of a hot Christmas Day may seem very foreign to many readers of this forum, just in the same way that I as a child never really understood what was meant by a White Christmas. May I share a few words, written by a friend, which express my thoughts about this time of the year:

There was only one original Christmas, when God, in the form of His son Jesus, became a human being so that he could grow up to become the Saviour of all who believe in Him.

Although the original Christmas sure didn’t occur on December 25, this is a good time to celebrate that unique event with true joy. So I wish all of you a blessed, peaceful time this Christmas ‘anniversary’.

Jesus is the “reason for the season”. Happy Christmas to you all.

It has been fascinating to view the various contributions to this discussion thread. Christmas time was always a special time for me during my childhood, during the heat of summer, and there were a couple of special delights when it came to the meals on Christmas Day. Christmas Pudding was a kind of “boiled fruit cake” pudding, which was served with white sauce that was a bit like runny custard, but flavoured with Sweet Sherry wine. The other delight was “once-in-a-year” home-made ginger beer, which was brewed with hops, ginger, and yeast, to produce a slightly alcoholic soft drink which was VERY fizzy. One year the warm weather promoted the brewing process so well that the pressure in one glass bottle was sufficient to break the bottle, which exploded with lots of glass shards. Unfortunately a number of the other bottles standing close by were not strong enough to withstand the impact of those bits of flying glass, and they joined in with a staccato of similar explosions.

The concept of a hot Christmas Day may seem very foreign to many readers of this forum, just in the same way that I as a child never really understood what was meant by a White Christmas. May I share a few words, written by a friend, which express my thoughts about this time of the year:

There was only one original Christmas, when God, in the form of His son Jesus, became a human being so that he could grow up to become the Saviour of all who believe in Him.

Although the original Christmas sure didn’t occur on December 25, this is a good time to celebrate that unique event with true joy. So I wish all of you a blessed, peaceful time this Christmas ‘anniversary’.

Jesus is the “reason for the season”. Happy Christmas to you all.
That's a lovely post, thank you, it's good to be reminded of the meaning of Christmas. I think Christmas on a warm day sounds idyllic especially for children being able to play outside with whatever toys they had. I love a cold crisp day so we can go for a walk after lunch, work off some of the food. Only once did I make ginger beer and like you it exploded in a cupboard under the stairs, but you can't beat it, homemade ginger beer. Have a lovely Christmas and a peaceful New year

Whippersnapper!
I am 24 and have been so for a half century.. and still love cake and mine pies and stollen and wine and gin and cake and mince pies and stollen and gin and cake and - and still have all my marbles.
It's when oldies start repeating themselves you know they are losing the plot.:eek:

Well it's Christmas eve, id like to wish everyone a very Happy Christmas, have a lovely day whatever your plans are. Have a happy, healthy new year. Keep safe and thank you for the valued advice that has been given for the last year. As a relatively new beekeeper its incredible the knowledge I have gained and I'm sure as spring arrives I'll be seeking some expertise again from this forum. Rest and enjoy!!!!!

Latest posts

Back