Father and Daughter beekeepers from West Sussex

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee L

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

My names Lee and me and my daughter became beekeepers last year when we welcomed our first colony.

We live close to Chichester in West Sussex and our love of bees began when my then 6 year old came home from school excited as a beekeeper came in to talk to them. This was all forgotten about and a few weeks later I asked Poppy what she might like for her birthday and to my shock she said "instead of a present this year can I please have a beekeeping experience". I didn't know if this was such a think but after contacting a few people I got chatting to a fantastic guy in Hampshire. Poppy and I had a great time and even though Poppy got stung, we both said one day we would like to have our own bees.

We both spent the next year or so watching YouTube, reading books and absorbing as much info as we possible could and with the help of some very generous friends and Beekeepers we now care for a very lovely Queen and her workers.

Poppy has decided she would like to encourage other children to look after bees and has even made some videos to document her beekeeping journey, If any of you would like to take a look they can be found on this Facebook page I help her with.

https://www.facebook.com/PoppysGarden1
I look forward to connecting and learning from you all and if you are local to us would love to have a chat to see if we can possibly help each other out from time to time and if any of you have young children/grandchildren then it would be great for Poppy to have some beekeeping friends.

Kindest regards

Lee

:welcome: Welcome Lee & Poppy! Look forward to hearing more about your bees. My nieces (7&8) are keen to help me with my bees, but unfortunately Covid got in our way last summer. Hopefully, I'll start training them up this year! ;)

Well done both of you. It's so nice to see father and daughter enjoying nature. Enjoy it while you can Lee - they grow up so quickly!

Lovely. My steps are anything buzzing phobic and are really adept at arm flapping. Sadly their children are the same. I’m envious but overjoyed that you share your beekeeping.

So, lovely to see Poppy doing a hive inspection - she is a pro already! Must order my observation hive to inspire the next generation.

Welcome. My 10yr old son helps me with our bees. His sharp eyes are very useful! Another forum member, Curly Green Fingers also has help from his children too.

Excellent stuff. I hope it all goes well for you both and I look forward to updates - especially from Poppy😀

If you need some pointers. Try Log in to Facebook
I mentored her some years ago and now she spreads the word in schools etc. Won awards for her efforts.
Not sure if the link will work. It is Alison's bee class on Facebook
E

I take my observation hive into schools, and am always amazed at how the children are so aware of the need for bees, and the wonderful questions they throw at me. ( a 6yr old asked me if wasps were omnivores!) They also remember me when we meet up at local wild life events..and they proudly show their parents the queen. They are our future...
How lovely that you have a daughter to be your bee buddy.. I wish you every happiness in this lovely hobby/obsession/ way of life!!

:welcome: I’m also near Chichester & started last year. Great to see your daughter so involved. Good luck with your beekeeping journey.

Hi Moobee. That's great. We are in Selsey so not far from you and I see you have a national hive also so maybe we could help each other out if we have any disasters.

I take my observation hive into schools, and am always amazed at how the children are so aware of the need for bees, and the wonderful questions they throw at me. ( a 6yr old asked me if wasps were omnivores!) They also remember me when we meet up at local wild life events..and they proudly show their parents the queen. They are our future...
How lovely that you have a daughter to be your bee buddy.. I wish you every happiness in this lovely hobby/obsession/ way of life!!

That's awesome heather. I would love to visit Schools and present to Children. Poppy really loved the visit and got so much out of it. I wouls like to have a go at building an observation hive this year

Hi Moobee. That's great. We are in Selsey so not far from you and I see you have a national hive also so maybe we could help each other out if we have any disasters.
Sounds like a plan! I have one hive currently, hoping to expand to 2 or more this year. Did you join Chi BKA?

Sounds like a plan! I have one hive currently, hoping to expand to 2 or more this year. Did you join Chi BKA?

Yes we are looking to expand this year also. Hopefully 2 full hive and a nuc or two. Are you on FB. If so i'm happy to add on their to keep in touch. Haven't joined the BKA yet. Have you? Whats it like?

Yes we are looking to expand this year also. Hopefully 2 full hive and a nuc or two. Are you on FB. If so i'm happy to add on their to keep in touch. Haven't joined the BKA yet. Have you? Whats it like?
CBKA were very helpful when I started. Nice friendly bunch. Found me a mentor and got my first lot of bees from them too.

CBKA were very helpful when I started. Nice friendly bunch. Found me a mentor and got my first lot of bees from them too.

ok thank you i will have a look. Are they doing online meetings at the moment or is everthing on hold until lockdown is over?

ok thank you i will have a look. Are they doing online meetings at the moment or is everthing on hold until lockdown is over?
They’re doing monthly zoom meetings in place of the usual physical meetings.

Latest posts

Back